What's new

NOS or not

Hello, picked up a German made razor listed as NOS. Pics looked good to me, but Im new in this arena. Came in original paper/sleeve with tag and upon inspection most seems ok other than some scale discoloration and tiny bit of corrosion(?) around one of pins. Pins are tight, blade is centered when closing, zero wobble in blade, finish looks good. Edge looks ok except one small spot to the eye. I looked at spine and noticed the following:

7DC21A7E-955D-47A5-80F8-F3428B0CCA13.jpeg

I thought this could be from:

1) the factory cleaning up after grinding in 1/4 hollow,
2) from the edge that was put on at factory, or
3) someone honed it.

Any thoughts are appreciated as to the spine issue. Thanks.

It could be the spine wear is from the factory. Sometimes vendors will make NOS razors shave ready and it could be from that. But the important thing is that the bevel is nice and even, and that is what counts. See if it is shave ready and let us know. Everything else you mention makes it seem like a good acquisition.

Thanks. Vendor didnt do anything to it per our correspondence as far as honing. Dont think its shave ready as it wont tree top arm hair, but from what ive read, factory edges arent too desirable to begin with. Plus its been sitting quite awhile. Might give it 15-20 laps on finisher and see what happens.

Other thing im concerned about after some more reading is possible cell rot on scales. I believe they're celluloid. There is some discoloration around pin areas. Nothing appearing on blade though.

6175E83B-842F-40FA-9AF9-17ECA95CA4D4.jpeg

CF5A5758-6EDC-41CC-B8DA-6E3D8723CB38.jpeg

Thanks. Vendor didnt do anything to it per our correspondence as far as honing. Dont think its shave ready as it wont tree top arm hair, but from what ive read, factory edges arent too desirable to begin with. Plus its been sitting quite awhile. Might give it 15-20 laps on finisher and see what happens.

Other thing im concerned about after some more reading is possible cell rot on scales. I believe they're celluloid. There is some discoloration around pin areas. Nothing appearing on blade though.

View attachment 1575069

View attachment 1575070

I have the same razor from the same seller. Don’t worry, the razor is nos and any hone wear would be from the factory. The discoloration is just that and not any form of cell rot.

It’s a great razor and can take a wicked edge. Congratulations on getting a very nice razor.

If it came in tissue, it is likely NOS. Vintage razors, were commonly honed on stones prior to shipping, back in the day.

That pin is rough, but last week honed a New TI with a similar mangled pivot pin, it was so sharp it would cut you. I smoothed it with some 600 and light Dremel polish with Radial wheel.

Hello, picked up a German made razor listed as NOS. Pics looked good to me, but Im new in this arena. Came in original paper/sleeve with tag and upon inspection most seems ok other than some scale discoloration and tiny bit of corrosion(?) around one of pins. Pins are tight, blade is centered when closing, zero wobble in blade, finish looks good. Edge looks ok except one small spot to the eye. I looked at spine and noticed the following:

View attachment 1574848

I thought this could be from:

1) the factory cleaning up after grinding in 1/4 hollow,
2) from the edge that was put on at factory, or
3) someone honed it.

Any thoughts are appreciated as to the spine issue. Thanks.

I have nothing to add other than you have a great avatar!
If I had a rubber chicken I would throw it at ya!

If it came in tissue, it is likely NOS. Vintage razors, were commonly honed on stones prior to shipping, back in the day.

That pin is rough, but last week honed a New TI with a similar mangled pivot pin, it was so sharp it would cut you. I smoothed it with some 600 and light Dremel polish with Radial wheel.
There is one pin that may catch. Ill have to look a little closer.

Top Bottom