What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

I kept track via (surprise!) spreadsheet. I have a color-coded list of all of the soaps for future reference:

View attachment 706001

My wife dislikes 99.999% of scented products, so I have to look for moderate scents. Otherwise, it's up to me.
My wife definitely prefers natural scents, so most things I try get the thumbs down or the "it's fine" which is code for it isn't so bad that I have to sleep on the couch. Always nice to commiserate with others.

I ranked the scent strength as 1-10. I also took notes on how well my wife and I each liked the scent.
I've been pretty lucky so far as the only things the boss hasn't liked or been ok with are Arko and Clubman. Neither of us liked Clubman in the least, so no complaints on that one. Arko she is not a fan of, but could live with it if she had to.

I kept track via (surprise!) spreadsheet. I have a color-coded list of all of the soaps for future reference:

That is great! I used X's because stars were too complex. I can barely read a spreadsheet, so no chance of ME making one. :lol:

That is great! I used X's because stars were too complex. I can barely read a spreadsheet, so no chance of ME making one. :lol:

I use colors because then it's easy to remember and choose easily. Oooh - it's green; that means I like it. Yuck - it's red!

I use colors because then it's easy to remember and choose easily. Oooh - it's green; that means I like it. Yuck - it's red!

I do the same with Blue - like.

Shave 3 Phoenix and Beau Citra Royale

In all my shaves I'll be using a Muhle R89, Gillette 7 O'clock blade and my Maggard syn brush.

The scent was good but I really do not remember a lot from the shave. I had a long day at work so ...
Shave 4 Soap Smooth Ceret

I got a bit of
skin irritation. The scent reminds me of a bit of my childhood, but I don't know what.

In truth I think I got a bit spoiled by getting the PC pass before getting this one.

Next, sample is Sweet Comb Chicago...

I do the same with Blue - like.

Shave 3 Phoenix and Beau Citra Royale

In all my shaves I'll be using a Muhle R89, Gillette 7 O'clock blade and my Maggard syn brush.

The scent was good but I really do not remember a lot from the shave. I had a long day at work so ...
Shave 4 Soap Smooth Ceret

I got a bit of
skin irritation. The scent reminds me of a bit of my childhood, but I don't know what.

In truth I think I got a bit spoiled by getting the PC pass before getting this one.

Next, sample is Sweet Comb Chicago...

I also did the PannaCrema Nuavia pass-around before the samples. I thought that it was a great reference point to test all those new soaps. For your next sample, here is my log from a test lather (no shave):

my shave log said:
okay looking lather. mostly creamy but little foamy. hand load & lather. cushioned and slick but much less than Nuavia. slight peaks during testing. less cushion than Nuavia. disappeared on my face leaving it white and dry.

Box 2, Shave #2
Soap: Viking Tree of Life
Razor: Edwin Jagger 3D
Blade: Perma Sharp
Brush: AoS Fine Badger

Performance: This soap has a pretty soft consistency. Not difficult at all to load up into my brush. Easily lathered up into a dense and cushioning lather, made for a slick shave with no weepers. Post shave was good, likely thanks to the tallow and shea. No tightness or dry skin.

Scent: Subtle sandalwood with a hint of Oakmoss. It is a nice, earthy scent.

Conclusion: Very good shave last night with the Viking Shave Soap. I had never heard of this Artisan before this Pass Around. I'm happy I got a chance to try it out because it performs very well and the scents are all very nice too.

View attachment 706217

I also did the PannaCrema Nuavia pass-around before the samples. I thought that it was a great reference point to test all those new soaps. For your next sample, here is my log from a test lather (no shave):

Don't get me wrong I loved the PC pass, I think am just making excuses. As am just working on papers so I can't really get the reviews as well as I would like them to be.

Shave 5 Sweet Comb Chicago

The shave was a good one. I had only done a 2 pass shave. as it's was a quick shave because I was being rushed a bit. I had a really nice shave the skin feels nice I somewhat wished I had a ATG. Anyways, want to get one more shave in before I head in to work tomorrow.

Box 3 in hand. What a great surprise to end my work week! I'll dig through it tonight and see what's on tap for the weekend.

I also did the PannaCrema Nuavia pass-around before the samples. I thought that it was a great reference point to test all those new soaps.

The Nuavia soaps a re great and top notch...especially the scents (I love the Nuavia Rosa...still can't get that scent out of my head), and as [MENTION=78901]NyquistRate[/MENTION] said, it makes for a great reference. But there are soaps in the boxes that I think are almost as good. Just don't think to yourself that Nuavia is the best out there (even though it may be), because you might end up missing some really great soaps that you think are better.

With that said...it looks like you all are enjoying the soaps! Great reviews guys!

Really enjoyed going through box 3 last night. I have several CRSW and SV soaps and also tried out LASS before, so it was nice to smell the ones I had not tried before.

I've got box 2. First review will be posted soon.

Current list:

1. BJ Rose -
2. rockclimber -
3. Smattayu -
4. elvergun -
5. sfeile -
6. cvargo
7. NyquistRate -
8. bobmsp -
9. Grundi -
10. huskers - Box 3
11. Corsair66 - please skip Ken for box three.
12. Jamzdean - skipped or dropped at his request (I think)
13. rx dude -
14. samarijack -
15. sheashaves710 - Box 2
16. Kaidoh - Box 1
17. TriggerMan
18. davidr2340
19. tclobaugh - helping to moderate
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
22. JayEddie
23. Chumango
24. JSouthard825
25. Oteixeira
26. back to dfoulk

Is there anyway to be added to this list? Or what's the best way to go about it?

Thank you!

The Nuavia soaps a re great and top notch...especially the scents (I love the Nuavia Rosa...still can't get that scent out of my head), and as @NyquistRate said, it makes for a great reference. But there are soaps in the boxes that I think are almost as good. Just don't think to yourself that Nuavia is the best out there (even though it may be), because you might end up missing some really great soaps that you think are better.

With that said...it looks like you all are enjoying the soaps! Great reviews guys!
+1 for variety being the spice of life!

+1 on the great reviews!

Pre-wet shaving: same choice of 1 cartridge and 1 can of gel...boring, boring, boring!!

Now wet-shaving: a bazillion choices and combinations...a wondrous adventure begins!! Some soaps are better than others; however, I've learned through these pass-arounds, that many soaps are only separated by a small characteristic here, slight variation there. PCN is a great soap, but I do like changing things up. At last count, these boxes contained 327 different soap samples (not including the 3 PCNs) and that's only part of what's available! I don't think I could ever run out of different soaps to try!

Last edited:
Box 3, shave 1
Soap: Tiki, the captain
ATT SE1 Feather pro guard (need to use them up)
WW 1301/beehive 26mm
Osma alum block
Thayer's cucumber
Fine American blend

First, I have never used a tiki soap before.

Load and lather....started in bowl, finished on face. Worked into a nice lather quite easily.
Performance....no knocks, worked really well. Residual slickness was nice.
Scent...really liked it. Scent was true through lathering. Almost a sweet pipe tobacco scent.
Post shave....really nice, no knocks there.

Overall, really nice Saturday morning shave. Minimal irritation with alum, enjoyable scent. I'd say it would be on my buy list.

proxy.php

The Nuavia soaps a re great and top notch...especially the scents (I love the Nuavia Rosa...still can't get that scent out of my head), and as @NyquistRate said, it makes for a great reference. But there are soaps in the boxes that I think are almost as good. Just don't think to yourself that Nuavia is the best out there (even though it may be), because you might end up missing some really great soaps that you think are better.

Very well stated

Box 3, shave 1
Soap: Tiki, the captain
ATT SE1 Feather pro guard (need to use them up)
WW 1301/beehive 26mm
Osma alum block
Thayer's cucumber
Fine American blend

First, I have never used a tiki soap before.

Load and lather....started in bowl, finished on face. Worked into a nice lather quite easily.
Performance....no knocks, worked really well. Residual slickness was nice.
Scent...really liked it. Scent was true through lathering. Almost a sweet pipe tobacco scent.
Post shave....really nice, no knocks there.

Overall, really nice Saturday morning shave. Minimal irritation with alum, enjoyable scent. I'd say it would be on my buy list.

proxy.php

Love this soap. Tiki is not in my top tier of soap brands but it is very close. I've great thing about Tiki is that it's very well balanced - it's for no flaws (talking about the soap here, I know there has been some growing pains). Even though this is not in my top tier, the scent is so awesome that it gets bumped up and is a regular in my rotation. Tiki has several nice and unique scents, actually

I got @TriggerMan on deck for box 1. I tried to PM you (Trig) today and wasn't able to send. If you can PM me you address I'll have the box out Monday. I hope am in the right thread this time lol.

Love this soap. Tiki is not in my top tier of soap brands but it is very close. I've great thing about Tiki is that it's very well balanced - it's for no flaws (talking about the soap here, I know there has been some growing pains). Even though this is not in my top tier, the scent is so awesome that it gets bumped up and is a regular in my rotation. Tiki has several nice and unique scents, actually
I did a test lather of spice island. Got a very up front cilantro scent. Test lather then went to the wife to not be wasteful. That scent won't make the cut.

Current list:
1. BJ Rose -
2. rockclimber -
3. Smattayu -
4. elvergun -
5. sfeile -
6. cvargo
7. NyquistRate -
8. bobmsp -
9. Grundi -
10. huskers - Box 3
11. Corsair66 - please skip Ken for box three.
12. Jamzdean - skipped or dropped at his request (I think)
13. rx dude -
14. samarijack -
15. sheashaves710 - Box 2
16. Kaidoh - Box 1
17. TriggerMan - offline for a few months, per the rules TriggerMan will be skipped
18. davidr2340
19. tclobaugh - helping to moderate
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
22. JayEddie
23. Chumango
24. JSouthard825
25. Oteixeira
26. back to dfoulk

I PMed @
davidr2340 a few minutes ago. I'll be able to send it out tomorrow. If I get the address in time.

Top Bottom