3. Smattayu -
4. elvergun -
5. sfeile -
6. cvargo
7. NyquistRate -
8. bobmsp -
9. Grundi -
10. huskers - Box 3
11. Corsair66 - please skip Ken for box three.
12. Jamzdean - skipped or dropped at his request (I think)
13. rx dude - Box 2
14. samarijack -
15. sheashaves710 - Box 1
16. Kaidoh
17. TriggerMan
18. davidr2340
19. tclobaugh - helping to moderate
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
22. JayEddie
23. Chumango
24. JSouthard825
25. Oteixeira
26. back to dfoulk

Current list:
1. BJ Rose -
2. rockclimber -
3. Smattayu -
4. elvergun -
5. sfeile -
6. cvargo
7. NyquistRate -
8. bobmsp -
9. Grundi -
10. huskers - Box 3
11. Corsair66 - please skip Ken for box three.
13. rx dude - Box 2
14. samarijack -
16. Kaidoh
17. TriggerMan
18. davidr2340
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
22. JayEddie
23. Chumango
24. JSouthard825
25. Oteixeira
26. back to dfoulk

Please PM me when you are ready for box 3. I don't want you to feel overwhelmed by having multiple boxes at once.

Please PM me when you are ready for box 3. I don't want you to feel overwhelmed by having multiple boxes at once.

Yeah, please send it once the box before is sent. You can jump the gun a little but nobody is really supposed to have two boxes at once.

In the mean time feel free to sample some more soaps and post some reviews. There is no shortage of great soaps in box 3.

Last edited:
...the box has to come back to me for the samples to be refilled between rounds. You're welcome to join in for the next round when signups open up again. Just follow this thread and you'll know when. I plan on continuing this for as long as there's interest.
Oh, I'm definitely interested in jumping back on the list for the next go-around, too. You've filled these boxes...stuffed them silly full...of awesome soaps and the different reviews have been excellent!! So, yes, definite interest!!

Oh, I'm definitely interested in jumping back on the list for the next go-around, too. You've filled these boxes...stuffed them silly full...of awesome soaps and the different reviews have been excellent!! So, yes, definite interest!!

The next round is open to everyone, even if you've been in a prior round. I do try to get a few more vendors added between rounds as well so there's always that in addition to what's in the boxes already.

I am used to it.
I once won the cake walk at the third grade pto fair, but the teacher took it home with her.
By the time I figure out how to get back on this list I will probably be kicked off again, time to pack it for the next go round.
:blushing:

Current list:
1. BJ Rose -
2. rockclimber -
3. Smattayu -
4. elvergun -
5. sfeile -
6. cvargo
7. NyquistRate -
8. bobmsp -
9. Grundi -
10. huskers - Box 3
11. Corsair66 - Box 2 sent 11/10/2016 Tracking Number 1z8w5e240381518319 - please skip Ken for box three.
13. rx dude - awaiting box 2
14. samarijack -
16. Kaidoh
17. TriggerMan
18. davidr2340
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
22. JayEddie
23. Chumango
24. JSouthard825
25. Oteixeira
26. back to dfoulk

26. Mitretnuh - removed

Hunter, with this one the box has to come back to me for the samples to be refilled between rounds. You're welcome to join in for the next round when signups open up again. Just follow this thread and you'll know when. I plan on continuing this for as long as there's interest. Thank you - David

Last edited:
Box 2, shave 1
Soap: soap of the gods, fougere
Razor: ATT SE1
Paladin chief 26mm
Osma alum block
Thayer's cucumber
Fine lavender

Initial impression....soft soap, almost cream like consistency. Scent was nice, maybe not my favorite fougere but was curious to performance and scent on lather

Loading: so, took an amount and put into my salsa bowl. Unfortunately my bowl took a drop and didn't make it, and to make things worse, I got a captains choice bowl that barely lasted 5 minutes in my hands until disaster struck. So all in my house are probably better off with a plastic bowl! I digress....
Loaded easily, and started pass 1. Wasn't too happy, so between passes I palm loaded some more and that made a huge difference.
Lathered easily.
Performance,....once I reloaded more, I found it performed much better. Maybe above average performance with good residual sickness
Post feel.....average

Overall....was OK, scent on lather stayed true to the sample. There are other fougere soaps I would prefer, so I would not add to a shopping spree. Did provide a very nice shave tonight.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am used to it.
I once won the cake walk at the third grade pto fair, but the teacher took it home with her.
By the time I figure out how to get back on this list I will probably be kicked off again, time to pack it for the next go round.
:blushing:

Yeah, we'd still love to have you. Just subscribe to the thread in the thread tools. Feel free to read reviews and comment on anything. Toward the end of the round the boxes will come back to me. I'll refill the containers and post some information about when the signups will be. Figure about a week per person to give you a guideline and you can watch the boxes travel through the list. So a quick check in will tell you how long until the next round is. It'll all be spelled out at that time as far as how to get on the list goes. Basically once I open it up you'll send me an email with some info and repost the list with your name in the spot you want.

The cake story was awesome as well.

Box 2, shave 2
Soap: maggard mango sage tea
Razor: feather artist club
Brush: Simpson PJ3 super
Osma alum block
Thayer's cucumber
Canoe splash

Initial thoughts.... Liked the scent, soft soap. Not sure if its tallow or not

Loading, worked up a lather easily
Performance...was OK, no glaring deficiencies. Maybe not the slickest or most residual slickness I've had.
Scent on lather....stayed true to the sample, probably the aspect I liked most
Post feel....was OK, didn't dry my face.

Overall...nice soap, probably not on my shopping list though. Did get a good shave out of it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Box 2, shave 2
Soap: maggard mango sage tea
Razor: feather artist club
Brush: Simpson PJ3 super
Osma alum block
Thayer's cucumber
Canoe splash

Initial thoughts.... Liked the scent, soft soap. Not sure if its tallow or not

Loading, worked up a lather easily
Performance...was OK, no glaring deficiencies. Maybe not the slickest or most residual slickness I've had.
Scent on lather....stayed true to the sample, probably the aspect I liked most
Post feel....was OK, didn't dry my face.

Overall...nice soap, probably not on my shopping list though. Did get a good shave out of it.

I'd agree with your assessment. This stuff smells great but for me the soap was about average. Still enjoyable, just not enough so performance wise to make me want to purchase a tub.

Also, sorry about your Captain's Choice bowl. I have one as well and I really enjoy it.

Box 2, shave 3
Soap, valobra almond
Razor, Hart steel 6/8 square point
Wolf whiskers 1301 26mm Nathan Clark envy knot
Osma alum block
Thayer's cucumber
SV 70th anniversary balm

Initial impressions.... Soft soap, an initial sweet buttery nutty scent, pleasant.

Loading....mushed into bowl, bit water to soften. Loaded easily and face lathered. No complaints here. Got a nice consistency lather.
Performance...slick enough, maybe average residual slickness. Today was goatee removal day, about two weeks growth. Performance maybe better than average because after all done very minimal irritation with alum.
Post feel....good, I'd say above average.

Overall....pleasant shave, nice scent. I can see adding it to a shopping list.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Box 2, shave 3
Soap, valobra almond
Razor, Hart steel 6/8 square point
Wolf whiskers 1301 26mm Nathan Clark envy knot
Osma alum block
Thayer's cucumber
SV 70th anniversary balm

Initial impressions.... Soft soap, an initial sweet buttery nutty scent, pleasant.

Loading....mushed into bowl, bit water to soften. Loaded easily and face lathered. No complaints here. Got a nice consistency lather.
Performance...slick enough, maybe average residual slickness. Today was goatee removal day, about two weeks growth. Performance maybe better than average because after all done very minimal irritation with alum.
Post feel....good, I'd say above average.

Overall....pleasant shave, nice scent. I can see adding it to a shopping list.

FYI, I'm not sure if there are any in the passaround but the other Valobra soaps (that are offered in tubs) are better performers than the Almond which I believe is sold by the block. The tubs are more similar in performance to the older version tallow AOS soaps that were made by Valobra.

I certainly don't need any more soap but I just ordered a couple Tallow & Steel soaps (Rainforest and Grog) as a result of trying them in this passaround.

I recently picked up a tub of Midnight & Two Provence and the matching aftershave balm as well.

Please feel free to let us know what you've purchased after trying it here.

I certainly don't need any more soap but I just ordered a couple Tallow & Steel soaps (Rainforest and Grog) as a result of trying them in this passaround.
Great choices - Rainforest and Grog - they were my too favorites of the 4 T&S soaps in the box!! I ultimately chose to try Grog and was not disappointed!

Please feel free to let us know what you've purchased after trying it here.
I'm waiting for Tiki The Captain!! Amanda's page is back up and several of her soaps are available again!! I've added my name to the waiting list for The Captain!!

Great reviews gents. Keep up the great work. ( and sorry to hear about the captain's choice bowl - those are very nice. I stick to plastic salsa myself for such reasons)

Box 2, shave 4
Soap commander fortitude
ATT SE1, feather pro
WW 1301/beehive 26mm
Osma alum block
Thayer's cucumber
Canoe splash

Decided to do a morning shave today, sorry no pics. Also was a bit rushed.

Overall, pleasant scent, loaded and lathered easily. Slickness and residual slickness I would say above average. Good protection also, did get a nice smooth two pass shave. Minimal irritation with alum block. Though I liked the scent I'm on the fence about how much I really liked it. I'll revisit the scents in the box, maybe there's another one I like more.

Top Bottom