Soap Sample Passaround Box

Box 2, shave 5
SCS fairway
ATT SE1, feather pro
WW 1301/Bee hive 26mm
Osma alum block
Thayer's cucumber
fine green vetiver

Another morning shave for me. Generally rushed in the morning, so here's my thoughts.
Its a pleasant, green grass scented soft soap. Loaded well in the bowl. Lather was on the thin side most likely needs a heavy loafing time. Slickness and residual slickness were good. I got a good shave out of it today, just wished for a thicker lather.
Post feel was nice.

Overall, probably not on a buy list.

Box 2, shave 5
SCS fairway
ATT SE1, feather pro
WW 1301/Bee hive 26mm
Osma alum block
Thayer's cucumber
fine green vetiver

Another morning shave for me. Generally rushed in the morning, so here's my thoughts.
Its a pleasant, green grass scented soft soap. Loaded well in the bowl. Lather was on the thin side most likely needs a heavy loafing time. Slickness and residual slickness were good. I got a good shave out of it today, just wished for a thicker lather.
Post feel was nice.

Overall, probably not on a buy list.
Good reviews!! My preference is slickness and post-shave feel over thick lather, too, but it would still be nice to have thick lather as part of the package.

Good reviews!! My preference is slickness and post-shave feel over thick lather, too, but it would still be nice to have thick lather as part of the package.
I generally agree with that also, maybe I'm getting spoiled lately! It was just a bit too thin. A heavier load probably would have corrected this though.

Box 2 shipped to [MENTION=101719]Sheashaves710[/MENTION] should arrive Saturday.

Box 3 can be shipped at your convenience

Just got home from work and Box 1 was waiting for me I have not opened it just yet. I have to work on an online class really fast and I'll be back on to post here in about 2 or 3 hrs.

Just got home from work and Box 1 was waiting for me I have not opened it just yet. I have to work on an online class really fast and I'll be back on to post here in about 2 or 3 hrs.

It must be killing you to not be able to open it. I know I'd want to tear into it right away.
Oh well, as my Grandmother used to say "good things come to those who wait".

Well, add another one on the list. I got a sample of B&M Latha Oceana in the mail. So, am just going to added it to the list. As I work on the samples.
Stinks to say but my sniffer is not working so well right now. But I have picked out the ones I would like to try based on smells and a bit of blind picks from the misc. bag. I would like to give MW a try but I was given a sample before and I ended up using the whole sample and still not able to get a good shave out of it. I think I would just have to smell them and buy a full tub. But who knows my technique for lathering has gotten much better then when I 1st started, but I still have a ways to go. Here's hoping to the use of a synthetic brush would really help with the sample pass around, as I move on to Badger brushes on my own tubs.

Well, give me a bit and I'll get my 1st shave in before I hit the hay.

Last edited:
[MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION], picked up a nuavia Verde. Had a first use this morning. Very impressive. Now I know why its spoken of the way it is.

@dfoulk, picked up a nuavia Verde. Had a first use this morning. Very impressive. Now I know why its spoken of the way it is.

Yeah, the Nauvia soaps are the very best I've found. Sudsy Soapery are right there as my close second favorite. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

@dfoulk, picked up a nuavia Verde. Had a first use this morning. Very impressive. Now I know why its spoken of the way it is.
Yeah, the Nauvia soaps are the very best I've found. Sudsy Soapery are right there as my close second favorite. I'm glad you're enjoying it.
+1 for PCN being the very best. I was only able to smell the scent of the sample that was included in the pass-around (I thought it was a close second to Blu), but if it performs like Rossa and Blu, then Verde will be an excellent addition to the line up.

I've got box 2. First review will be posted soon.

Current list:

1. BJ Rose -
2. rockclimber -
3. Smattayu -
4. elvergun -
5. sfeile -
6. cvargo
7. NyquistRate -
8. bobmsp -
9. Grundi -
10. huskers - Box 3
11. Corsair66 - please skip Ken for box three.
12. Jamzdean - skipped or dropped at his request (I think)
13. rx dude -
14. samarijack -
15. sheashaves710 - Box 2
16. Kaidoh - Box 1
17. TriggerMan
18. davidr2340
19. tclobaugh - helping to moderate
20. dangerousdon
21. CzechCzar
22. JayEddie
23. Chumango
24. JSouthard825
25. Oteixeira
26. back to dfoulk

Sorry, am behind on my reviews.

In all my shaves I'll be using a Muhle R89, Gillette 7 O'clock blade and my Maggard syn brush.

Shave 1, Barrister & Mann Latha Oceana, I was hoping this would be the scent I was going to buy from B&M but it looks like am going to have to look for a different scent from them. Brand, I can see why BBers like the brand. I was able to get a few 3 passes, touch ups and still have a bit leftover with the bit of soap I used. With all of the soaps that I've tried, it is one of a few on the top of my WTB list.

Shave 2, Midnight & Two The Cabin, Another brand that I can understand why its raved about on B&B. Love the cider wood, that I smell. Much like the save I got with B&M, I was able to get a full shave in.

I am starting to think that I maybe using the wrong soaps. After I make a pass I want to go back a spot ASAP but at times I'm able to hold myself back because the soap has dried that area out but I take it that the soap is what dried in the area and I just re-wet the skin and re-apply soap.

In a bit I'll be using Phoenix and Beau Citra Royale.

Box 2, Shave #1
Soap: WSP Lavender-Wood
Razor: Edwin Jagger 3D
Blade: Perma Sharp
Brush: AoS Fine Badger

Performance: This soap has a medium - hard consistency. Wasn't difficult to load up into my brush. Lather produced lots of cushion, and made for a slick shave with no weepers. Post shave left my face hydrated, and not tight or dry.

Scent: Simple and fresh. Herbaceous lavender with a bit of cedar wood. I have tried many lavender scented soaps and this one certainly stands out as a winner. Reminds me of Speick and Martin de Candre.

Conclusion: Very nice shave tonight with the WSP. Scent and performance are both on point. I don't own any of the WSP soaps yet so its great to be able to check out such a variety of scents.

I certainly don't need any more soap but I just ordered a couple Tallow & Steel soaps (Rainforest and Grog) as a result of trying them in this passaround.

I recently picked up a tub of Midnight & Two Provence and the matching aftershave balm as well.

Please feel free to let us know what you've purchased after trying it here.

Haven't been in the position to purchase any yet, but I do have a full page list of ones I'm going to get eventually. :blush:

Haven't been in the position to purchase any yet, but I do have a full page list of ones I'm going to get eventually. :blush:

It's definitely better to take your time instead of buying a bunch of stuff that you don't really need all at once. The best advice I can give you is to be very selective and only put you're absolute favorites on your list. There are a ton of great soaps out there but very few truly exceptional ones.

Shave 2, Midnight & Two The Cabin, Another brand that I can understand why its raved about on B&B. Love the cider wood, that I smell. Much like the save I got with B&M, I was able to get a full shave in.
M&T The Cabin was one of my favorite themed scents and I thought they really nailed it; smelled like a freshly built cabin, nice and woody.

Box 2, Shave #1
Soap: WSP Lavender-Wood

Scent: Simple and fresh. Herbaceous lavender with a bit of cedar wood. I have tried many lavender scented soaps and this one certainly stands out as a winner. Reminds me of Speick and Martin de Candre.
I missed this one (lavender and wood sound like a good combination). One of the things that I found during my turn with the boxes was that I like the floral scents. I had been staying with the safe manly sounding scents (lime, spice, etc), but, given a chance to explore, I liked several of the florals (but not all of them, I'm not a fan of geranium, would make a nice base but needs to be toned down for my nose).

It's definitely better to take your time instead of buying a bunch of stuff that you don't really need all at once. The best advice I can give you is to be very selective and only put you're absolute favorites on your list. There are a ton of great soaps out there but very few truly exceptional ones.

When I was going through the boxes and trying them, I would write down the maker and "flavor" of the ones I really liked. Then beside them I would mark them 1-5 X's (like stars but easier to write :tongue_sm) That way when I went to order them I could better remember where I ranked them instead of just guessing from a list of names.

When I was going through the boxes and trying them, I would write down the maker and "flavor" of the ones I really liked. Then beside them I would mark them 1-5 X's (like stars but easier to write :tongue_sm) That way when I went to order them I could better remember where I ranked them instead of just guessing from a list of names.

I ranked the scent strength as 1-10. I also took notes on how well my wife and I each liked the scent.

I ranked the scent strength as 1-10. I also took notes on how well my wife and I each liked the scent.
Yeah, good call. I always get my wife's opinion, but I'll have to add a column to rate these separately. I've just let her opinion trump mine. I guess my rating had really been a combination. Probably won't change my buys at the end of the day for obvious reasons, but it would be interesting to see what differences/patterns we have for scents.

I kept track via (surprise!) spreadsheet. I have a color-coded list of all of the soaps for future reference:

$ocd.jpg

Yeah, good call. I always get my wife's opinion, but I'll have to add a column to rate these separately. I've just let her opinion trump mine. I guess my rating had really been a combination. Probably won't change my buys at the end of the day for obvious reasons, but it would be interesting to see what differences/patterns we have for scents.

My wife dislikes 99.999% of scented products, so I have to look for moderate scents. Otherwise, it's up to me.

Top Bottom