What's new

Soap review - Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint

I purchased Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint a couple months ago and I've used it about 20 times. Enough to make a good judgement about it's performance. After using it many times I can say that for me the performance is very impressive.

Lathering - Lathering this soap is about average time wise as I'm able to produce a thick rich lather in about the time it takes to lather most of my other soaps. Not as quick as the "wave your brush over it and it lathers" Martin de Candre and not nearly as long as it takes me to lather the excellent performing but stubborn to lather (for me) Mystic Waters.

Slickness - Slickness is outstanding as you can feel the slickness of the Bentonite and Russian Blue clay in this soap causing the razor to effortlessly glide over your skin. Some of their other soaps use different but equally high quality clays in their formulas. The soap is a triple butter soap that is absolutely loaded with butters for an outstanding after shave feel. I believe it's the butters combined with the high quality clay that give it an exceptional slickness. I feel like I can shave using way too much pressure or a slightly off angle and not face the penalty for doing so. This is a soap I feel confident about reaching for when I need to shave and be out the door in ten minutes. It's incredibly forgiving for me.

After shave face feel - After shave face feel is outstanding as well as all of the butters in this soap definitely soften your face and leave it feeling very moisturized. Definitely very high marks here. I know that's what aftershave is for but there appears to be a trend with soap makers placing a higher importance in this category and this soap maker does it as well as anyone. I'd say in this category it's more moisturizing than the Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps and closer to what I get from PannaCrema Nuavia in this regard.

Scent - The scent is rather nice with a soft lavender and peppermint. Totally different from but in the same wheelhouse as Martin de Candre Original scent and Nancy Boy Signature. It's a clean scent and I like it a lot. The strength of scent is definitely there. You'll smell it during your shave but not too long after. There's a little menthol in it for a nice slight cooling effect as well. Neither scent overpowers the other and they blend well together.

Cost - The cost on this soap is $10.95 which to me is very reasonable, especially for a product of this quality. It's a soft soap but I suspect a tin would last quite a while. These soaps do use high quality ingredients and essential oils which are a bit more expensive but it's not really reflected in the price. Other big name all essential oil soaps are usually a bit more expensive. The sandlewood and Myrrh soap does run $2 more because of the difference in price of the sandlewood oil used. In looking at their web site I do see a new Almond & Vanilla scent that I'd love to try as well.

Tins - The tins contain 3.5 ounces of soap and are simple metal tins. Nothing special here as I'm told they were chosen to keep the product cost down. They contain a simple waterproof label listing the necessary information.

This soap company is relatively unknown and pretty much completely undiscovered within this forum. I've seen some very favorable reviews in some of the other shaving forums but really nothing at all about it here. I do comment in the soap passarounds threads more frequently but this is the first time in a long time I've posted a review of a soap in the open forum. I wanted to share some information about this soap as this soap and PannaCrema Nuavia are my two favorite soap finds this year.

Please feel free to share your thoughts if you've tried it. I'd be interested to know if you guys rate this one as high as I do.

Thanks for the review. I find it interesting that they use both Kokum and Shea butter, not many soapers use both of those due to cost. I use those in my soap as well and find that the butters add a ton of properties that us shavers desire even for a new soaper like me... I can only imagine how good this soap will be since they are professional soapers! I can't wait to try the sample you sent me!

Ingredients:
Saponified Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Castor Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Cocoa Butter, Theobroma Cocoa (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Kokum Butter, Garcinia Indica Seed Butter, Shea Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii, Lanolin Anhydrous, USP. with Cambrian (Russian) Blue Clay, Glycerin vegetable, USP, Sodium Lactate, Fragrance*, Bentonite Clay.

Thanks for the review. I find it interesting that they use both Kokum and Shea butter, not many soapers use both of those due to cost. I use those in my soap as well and find that the butters add a ton of properties that us shavers desire even for a new soaper like me... I can only imagine how good this soap will be since they are professional soapers! I can't wait to try the sample you sent me!

Ingredients:
Saponified Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Castor Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Cocoa Butter, Theobroma Cocoa (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Kokum Butter, Garcinia Indica Seed Butter, Shea Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii, Lanolin Anhydrous, USP. with Cambrian (Russian) Blue Clay, Glycerin vegetable, USP, Sodium Lactate, Fragrance*, Bentonite Clay.

I was looking forward to your opinion on the sample I sent you. I find this one to be outstanding but I seem to be one of very few people who have tried it.

There's a little menthol in it for a nice slight cooling effect as well.

I might be completely off base here, but they don't list menthol in the ingredients. I think the cooling effect is from the peppermint essential oil in the fragrance blend. Either way, I found it to be very refreshing.

I have a tin of Lavender & Peppermint and two tins of Twice Mint. I enjoy both scents, and the performance is top notch. For me, it performs every bit as well as two of my favorites, MdC and WSP Formula T.

Great stuff. I'm glad to see them get some love in the forums. :thumbup:

I might be completely off base here, but they don't list menthol in the ingredients. I think the cooling effect is from the peppermint essential oil in the fragrance blend. Either way, I found it to be very refreshing.

I have a tin of Lavender & Peppermint and two tins of Twice Mint. I enjoy both scents, and the performance is top notch. For me, it performs every bit as well as two of my favorites, MdC and WSP Formula T.

Great stuff. I'm glad to see them get some love in the forums. :thumbup:

Thanks for pointing that out. I stand corrected. From their web site...the peppermint provides menthol which tends to be both warming and cooling on the skin.

Ingredients:
Weird ingredients list, if you ask me, unless they are purposefully listing many ingredients twice in a row. Coconut oil and Cocos Nucifera oil are the same thing, castor oil and Ricinus Communis Seed oil are the same thing, Cocoa butter and Theobroma cocoa seed butter are the same thing, Kokum butter and Garcinia Indica Seed butter are the same thing, Shea Butter and Butyrospermum parkii butter are the same thing.

yep. Looks like they are listing each ingredient once with its common name and once with its scientific name. So let's distill the ingredients list down to what it should look like:

Saponified Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Cocoa Butter, Kokum Butter, Shea Butter, Lanolin Anhydrous USP with Cambrian blue clay, glycerin, sodium lactate, fragrance, and bentonite clay.

There. I feel better now.

Weird ingredients list, if you ask me, unless they are purposefully listing many ingredients twice in a row. Coconut oil and Cocos Nucifera oil are the same thing, castor oil and Ricinus Communis Seed oil are the same thing, Cocoa butter and Theobroma cocoa seed butter are the same thing, Kokum butter and Garcinia Indica Seed butter are the same thing, Shea Butter and Butyrospermum parkii butter are the same thing.

yep. Looks like they are listing each ingredient once with its common name and once with its scientific name. So let's distill the ingredients list down to what it should look like:

Saponified Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Cocoa Butter, Kokum Butter, Shea Butter, Lanolin Anhydrous USP with Cambrian blue clay, glycerin, sodium lactate, fragrance, and bentonite clay.

There. I feel better now.

Alright, well done. I have no idea about any of that as I'm not a soap maker. I just know that the soap for me is absolutely outstanding.

I used it again yesterday and again it was very impressive. I skipped the aftershave entirely (which I almost never do) and didn't miss it at all. The only other soap that I own that gives me the same type of moisturizing properties and after shave feel is PannaCrema Nuavia which comes in at a much higher cost.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Shaved with Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint this a.m. and agree with DF; it's great stuff. One of those soaps that's so slick it's actually hard to rinse off!

A croap, but leaning toward the cream more than soap- it's pretty soft. Pleasant on-face tingle; glide, lather and protection all top-notch.

Hoping the tin is stainless/zinc or coated; my Stirling tins rust. The Sudsy tin is a different metal, seemingly.

Looking forward to trying the other two I got (Twice Mint and Sandalwood/Myrrh), but it may be a while ... this one can stay.

AA

Sudsy Soapery Lavender Peppermint
attachment.php

attachment.php

Slickness 10/10 this soap is a full-on 10 out of 10 for slickness. I still have not seen the ingredients however I know it has some clay in it and apparently this clay really adds to slickness. After this review I'm going to look up the ingredients and see what I can copy for my own recipe because this is outstanding slickness.
Cushion 8.5/10 I really like this soap when it's wet as you can tell from the pictures... as a result the cushion stuffers a little. As a new shaver this may not be the best soap but for me I would rather have less cushion and more slickness because I'm not going crazy with my Razor in the morning.
Moisturizing 9.5/10 and post shave feel is a 10/10. I did not put on aftershave for any of my three shaves and I certainly did not need it. I don't know what they have in here but I'm about to look it up because this is some of the best post-shave feel I have come across. This is even better than MdC if I may be so presumptuous.
Scent 10/10 as I said in my previous post my wife barely lets me out the door in the morning before work when I shave with this. That alone is enough to give this up at 10 however I personally love the cool sensation on my face and feel it is a perfect summer soap!
Overall 9.5/10 I will definitely be buying a full tub of this and sharing it with everyone in the office. I also know that I will be looking into the ingredients today or tomorrow and trying to copy it for my homemade soap recipe. This is not a true soap, it is more of a CROAP but that is fine with me so long as I have a container to put it in. I am so fortunate that @dfoulk shared this with me because I would never have bought this on my own. It sounds too obscure and no one else has written a review about it so it would really be last on my list. Instead This has become first on my list of soaps to buy!

I tried the Sandalwood and Myrrh yesterday and have to say that I'm impressed by it so far. As expected, it's not the easiest to lather due to the extra ingredients but it takes no worse than an average effort to lather unlike many that are heavy on extra fats so that in itself is impressive. It's a very creamy lather and all of the performance characteristics are top notch. I'm not sure if I would put it in my top 5 yet but it's definitely something I'm going to consider once I get another two or three shaves from it. Cost wise, it's on the high side it was $17 for 3.5oz and will likely go quickly due to the softness. I would probably put this in the same cost per shave as a GFT cream. Performance wise I would say comparable to B&M Tallow, PannaCrema, Strop Shop, CB (French and Luxury) and Tiki Bar with tallow and probably just a bit lower than SV, Valobra/AOS Tallow, Hasslinger, Klar Seifen, MdC, Nuavia, Cade and B&M Glissant.

Overall, a great find!

I tried the Sandalwood and Myrrh yesterday and have to say that I'm impressed by it so far. As expected, it's not the easiest to lather due to the extra ingredients but it takes no worse than an average effort to lather unlike many that are heavy on extra fats so that in itself is impressive. It's a very creamy lather and all of the performance characteristics are top notch. I'm not sure if I would put it in my top 5 yet but it's definitely something I'm going to consider once I get another two or three shaves from it. Cost wise, it's on the high side it was $17 for 3.5oz and will likely go quickly due to the softness. I would probably put this in the same cost per shave as a GFT cream. Performance wise I would say comparable to B&M Tallow, PannaCrema, Strop Shop, CB (French and Luxury) and Tiki Bar with tallow and probably just a bit lower than SV, Valobra/AOS Tallow, Hasslinger, Klar Seifen, MdC, Nuavia, Cade and B&M Glissant.

Overall, a great find!

Which SV? The normal ones (refillable) or something like the Anniversary.

I want to try some of their soaps. Which one would you recommend?

Which SV? The normal ones (refillable) or something like the Anniversary.

I want to try some of their soaps. Which one would you recommend?

I have 4.0 (Aromatica) and 4.2 (Cosmo) and Cosmo is a bit better but I would rate them both very close.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Sudsy's are still on Father's Day Sale; I just picked up the others ... :tongue_sm so comments can follow on all five, though it will take a while: the Lavender and Peppermint isn't going to budge from daily use for a while.

Seriously good stuff.

re: lathering, I do load the brush and then beat it up *well* in a specific dimpled lathering bowl ... this one:

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sudsy's are still on Father's Day Sale; I just picked up the others ... :tongue_sm so comments can follow on all five, though it will take a while: the Lavender and Peppermint isn't going to budge from daily use for a while.

Seriously good stuff.

re: lathering, I do load the brush and then beat it up *well* in a specific dimpled lathering bowl ... this one:

AA

Cool looking lather bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom