What's new

soap container preference

I have a shave mug that is flat on the bottom. So when the mug is near empty, i think im putting needless wear on the brush and it is a pain to lather.

So I am curious what you guys use for a mug/container for your soap.

Ok so i found this link.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100198&page=2

kinda favoring scuttles...but
I do not like glassware so much. pottery tends to break easily and i like the thought of metal due to its superior heat transfer properties which i want on the soap.
and i didnt like the 40-50 dollar pricetags i seen for something so easily broken.

So im thinking metal soap dish and a mug that shouldnt break.

Idk any ideas?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok so i found this link.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100198&page=2

kinda favoring scuttles...but
I do not like glassware so much. pottery tends to break easily and i like the thought of metal due to its superior heat transfer properties which i want on the soap.
and i didnt like the 40-50 dollar pricetags i seen for something so easily broken.

So im thinking metal soap dish and a mug that shouldnt break.

Idk any ideas?

I understand what you mean about not wanting easily breakable glass.
If that's your only concern, it's not a big one. Many people keep a drinking glass or ceramic soap holders / toothbrush holders in the same room and don't worry about that too much.
As far as heat transfer, yes - the metal does transfer heat faster, and that is why it is NOT as good as pottery for keeping your lather warm. The heat loss is greater on a metal bowl, so if it's hot lather your looking for, you'd probably be better off with ceramic or pottery.

I just use a metal bowl, (which holds my soap, and which I also lather in) because I like it, and I'm not so concerned about "hot steaming lather".

The cost for a cheapo bowl is something to consider as well.

I like to buy my soaps with a bowl.

However, I use a warm brush to remove some soap and then go to a warm ceramic lathering bowl to develop a great lather. I have found that any thick/heavy ceramic bowl works well to develop a great lather.

Best Wishes.

Pick yourself up some nice pottery from the thrift shop, usually a nice one, maybe even with scuttle-esque ridges on the bottom for lather production.

this was 99 cents, and if it breaks, darn, bus money gone.

If my soap does not come with a container, I purchase Ancor bowls with lids from Walmart. A pack of four goes for $8.

I picked up a four pack of small Rubbermaid screw top containers at the dollar store and melted my VDH and Col. Conks into them. They work great.

I'm currently using Glad snap top bowls. I got 8 of the small ones at Albertson's for about $4 (they're microwaveable for melting soaps into), and 4 of the next size up (my Honeybee Spa soaps are a perfect fit) at Wally World for about $5...

I use these, pyrex 1 cup storage jars. Glass but most pucks fit nice and tight and it has a lid.

proxy.php

Cheers

I really look forward to shaving!! As such, I enjoy using products that provide me pleasure. To that end, Don McIvor hand-turned me a beautiful,wooden shaving mug. A couple times a year, when he finds some beautiful wood, he makes me shaving brushes that are a real pleasure to look at and use. I'm sorry guys, but I don't have the equipement to post pictures. Happy Trails!!!

If my soap does not come with a container, I purchase Ancor bowls with lids from Walmart. A pack of four goes for $8.

Amen brother! Got 5 soaps in these bowls now and they are perfect for storing. I lather in my Georgetown Pottery Scuttle or on my face, but for storing...these rock!

I use Old Spice mugs. I use melt and pour soap that I ad my own scents to. It also fits my brush stand so my brush can hang over it. When it gets too low I just add more.

I like keeping my soaps in plastic containers by Sunburst bottle company. I prefer plastic to glass, but they offer both. Smaller shaving rounds (like my C&S 88 or HBS) fit well in their 4 oz. container (white or clear). Larger rounds (like my Trumper rose) fit well (with a little help) in their 8 oz. container. The issue with their container size is the circumference of the soap round versus the opening of the container, not volume. The 8 oz. container has a slightly larger opening. If you mill your soap, the 4 oz. container is a good choice.

One thing I like about the 8 oz. container is that your lather doesn't go spilling over the sides. The plastic containers are all $1 or less.

It came w/ some cheap VDH soap I got when I was just in a rush to try a brush out - got it at wallyworld. thinking I'd prefer something nicer. But it works ok.

Top Bottom