What's new

Soap Acquisition Thread

Have you tried Arko great performing tallow based soap dirt cheap ?
I actually just bought a box of 12? sticks. I bought one to try. Was initially quite disappointed as its smell overpowered my Clubman aftershave. Then I realized I cannot smell clubman at all anymore and Liked the smell of the arko after it grew on me a bit. Decided to buy a box. I have a stick in my dopp kit, a stick smashed into my vanderhagen soap mug, and several more in waiting. And after using a stick of arko, I can no longer smell it either. Not sure if my products lose potency or my nose just gets used to them.

I actually just bought a box of 12? sticks. I bought one to try. Was initially quite disappointed as its smell overpowered my Clubman aftershave. Then I realized I cannot smell clubman at all anymore and Liked the smell of the arko after it grew on me a bit. Decided to buy a box. I have a stick in my dopp kit, a stick smashed into my vanderhagen soap mug, and several more in waiting. And after using a stick of arko, I can no longer smell it either. Not sure if my products lose potency or my nose just gets used to them.
How have the Arko shaves been?

Mostly VERY good. Sometimes I guess I get lazy or something and do not work the soap long enough. Every once in a while I get a lather that seems to want to dry out and be sticky almost. Like my superspeed is sticking to my skin not tugging on my whiskers. But that is seldom and I have not pinpointed the issue. I have noticed that when I use my straight razor, I add a bunch of water to the lather. It seems to me to like the water. I like a good wet lather with the arko. Only issue is how messy it is, and being a tight wad, I am always trying not to waist soap. When it slops everywhere or there is alot left over I feel like I need to cut back. Silly isn't it. Just the way my brain is wired I suppose. When on the road, I face lather (mostly) and to my surprise..... I get a pretty darn easy, good quality lather that way as well.

The Holy Black
Gunpowder Spice

20200817_162614.jpg

will know tomorrow morning if it is similar to the Caswell-Massey line.

camo

The Holy Black
Gunpowder Spice

View attachment 1141345
will know tomorrow morning if it is similar to the Caswell-Massey line.

camo

guess its somewhat similar to this:

20200817_163921.jpg

its in the ballpark...... but Old Spice and Pyrodex smells better next to each other.

and yes I opened both....held next to each other..........and took a hoooooark of it (sniffed to you plain folk).

camo

Last edited:
A long time artisan waiting to give a go...

You got this:

proxy.php

and then you open:

proxy.php

For getting this!:

proxy.php

Pictures **** as usual, but once sniffed, yes, I can say all things nice. Such nice and relaxing honey, caramel like scent.

I just blame myself to not go for them when they use to sell it in metal tins....

The soap/cream formulation is really interesting too, I cannot wait to use it

Top Bottom