What's new

Soap Acquisition Thread

Posted this on another thread. First time with these three bases. Used the DG soap yesterday. Texture is more of a cream than a crisp, so will probably go through pretty quick lathering brush straight from tub. Great scent, though!

20200716_112920.jpg

I just recently restocked my Prorasso Red, Green and White. Those are my go-to soaps as the price and performance of these are just excellent in my shaving reality

I also grabbed some Arko soap a few months ago. I have used it many times now and while the soap lathers and performs OK I personally find the scent somewhat mediocre at best. I like my soaps to have a strong and plesant smell so the Arko just does not do it for me on that front.

I definitely need to get a few new flavours in the very near future.

How do you like the lavanille? I am considering trying that one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Lavanille is a fantastic scent. I certainly pick up the lavender and vanilla, and would describe it as being a dark and earthy version of those summery type scents. Probably the musk and leather that is also present in the scent profile. You are probably aware that it's Will's take on Mousse de Saxe. I've never experienced that scent myself, so cannot comment on how accurate his representation is.

Ethos is the best soap in my den, bar none. I just got a couple more scents, so i'll be using Ethos even more. That's great news for my face!
View attachment 1138056
I sent an email to Frank a few weeks ago to inquire if he's still selling the Succes soap still. Good news is he still has them available, but haven't pulled the trigger on it. I guess he has a sandalwood AS (Mysore Santal) that is made with real sandalwood, which I'd also like to try. I just have so many soaps I need to get through that I'd hate to add another to the den. Is the Succes similar to many of the Creed Aventus dups?

I'll be trying the Succes soon, I'm starting out using the Melange d'Agrumes for several shaves then I'll switch to the Succes. His base is the best in the industry, IMHO. I personally don't know how it compares to the Creed Aventus, but I've heard several reviewers say it is a spot-on match.

Lavanille is a fantastic scent. I certainly pick up the lavender and vanilla, and would describe it as being a dark and earthy version of those summery type scents. Probably the musk and leather that is also present in the scent profile. You are probably aware that it's Will's take on Mousse de Saxe. I've never experienced that scent myself, so cannot comment on how accurate his representation is.
I think I will try it. I just received samples of the Seville and chypre recently. The scents are very complex. I was leaning toward something lighter or more citrus, but b&m seems to really excel at the more earthy scents.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It was the first soap I had in the starter kit I bought. Each new soap I have tried is more expensive and not been (to my face) noticeably better in the performance aspect. Being a fairly utilitarian type person (and possibly tight wad), I purchase this Soap 99% of the time. Which is seldom because it last a good long while.
Have you tried Arko great performing tallow based soap dirt cheap ?

Top Bottom