What's new

So thats why we play this game

I've noticed a lot of disheartened new guys asking lately if this whole DE/badger lather deal is a bit exaggerated but I reckon its not.

Today I was a bit pressed for time. Ditched the lather and DE for a can of "goo" and a cartrigde (sensor excel).

Made 3 quick passes (WTG, XTG, XTG) and have to say, the shave was sub par by a long shot! - Post shave routine was the same as normal, so no difference in that variable. My face is rough, my skin feels and looks less full and healthy.

Its taken me 6months of DE shaving to realize that the shave I get now is way better than the ones I got with a cartridge and shaving foam.

So if your in your first week or two stick in there. The results are worth the extra 5-10minutes/day and the learning curve of a few weeks.

Thanks B&B for getting me through that stage myself!

I have to agree. I can not see going back to a disposable and canned goo. I know that DE shaving takes longer and it has a learning curve, however the results are a much better overall shave period. I enjoy shaving now.

Man! You had to be in one heck of a hurry. Just hand lather some proraso and go ape with a tech. That's a 3 minute shave at best!

It's good to show yourself that what you are doing is worthwhile!

Before DE wet shaving I had two spots that were always guaranteed to get irritated. So I only shaved maybe twice a week so I only had to deal with the irritation twice a week. Now I can shave more often and know how to treat those spots right to eliminate the irritation. Also my face feels more comfortable after a shave than it used to. So I have no doubt it is a big improvement.

It is quite easy to get discouraged, as I did recently. Having wet shaved for over 25 years, I expected to take to DE shaving pretty easily, even though I was aware a technique needed learning. Some things were easy - lather making was a snap, regardless of soap or cream. But even now, my shaves are a bit inconsistent. One day great, the next, good, but stubble seems to grow back 3X faster.

I added to some recent frustration by trying my M3 out of curiosity, and it was better and quicker than any DE shave I've had in 3 months. Fairly slight, temporary irritation caused by 3 passes (and very heavy handed, by DE standards), which I would've got with a DE anyway - far worse if I'd have taken the 5-7 minutes it took.

So with better lather, at the moment I can get better shaves with a cart, but don't want to go back because of the cost. I realise however, I've spent my savings already (and then some) on 2 additional razors, various things like pyrex pots for my soaps; a bowl (well, ok, two. Alright 3, but it was a cheap plastic one for like $2, so that doesn't even count or anything) ASB; I've got some more Tabac soap on the way (with the 300ml AS, as I haven't tried AS in years, and I love the soap), and I need to restock on favourite blades, even though I've still got a decent stock of Feathers.

But I do get some very good, comfortable, and nice feeling shaves too. I want to get better - getting a BBS with a cart is easy, with a DE, it's a result of skill and attention. While I'm not shooting for that everyday, I do want that great feeling shave that lasts.

The aquisitions will drop off as I find the best tools and combos for me. I think I'm in for the duration; I'm getting older and, if nothing else, surely this is the best way to look after my skin. Sorry about my wallet.

You guys really should stick in there. I've not been DEing it that long and I've already been getting much better shaves with my Gillette Slim. As a matter of fact, I shaved with a cart today and didn't like the shave or the results nearly as much. I think I may have accidentally fallen into such a good regimen, though, as I have found a razor blade that works wonders and am fine with my pre and post shave setup. I think you not only need to work on technique and such, but find the products that match your needs.
P.S. Try out the Gillette Permasharp's in the green box (not the other green box). Holy Cow, are they good!

I've wet shaved since my first shave 40 years ago. I went down the route of the cartridge and goo before coming back to the DE (my first shaves with my late father were with a Schick injector!)

I wouldn't change back now. To my mind, it's the brush and soap/cream that make the difference, more than the razor. Dump the goo.

I still have a Tesco Matrix, Uk supermarket clone M3, which I have for travel. Just as good but much much cheaper cartridges. If I'm running late I often use it with a proper brush and soap lather. It gives a decent shave. The shave doesn't last as long as the DE but still decent and fast as there's no worry about angles etc.

I always face lather which I find much faster than messing about with a bowl so the prep doesn't take much longer than canned goo.

Gareth

I'm tempted to try my old Sensor just to feel the difference. I would use a good soap to isolate the difference to the razor and cartridge.

I shaved three times this week with a GII (TracII) handle with Personna cartridges, and was unimpressed. I only did two passes (instead of the usual three with the DE), and the results were:

- The shave was not as close as some of my best DE shaves.
- Doesn't feel as good (especially if the cart has the dreaded lube strip...).
- Some bumps appeared just after the first shave :eek:.
- A successful DE shave leaves my skin feeling, as I describe it, smooth as glass and elastic as rubber. Somehow with the cart it feels much drier and the hairs feel a bit uneven.

I am going right back to the HD. I still have a Contour handle to try and 2 remaining M3 carts, maybe I will try them when I need a reminder :biggrin:.

I like the Trac II, and I like the Sensor, too.

After 5 months of honing technique, I still get a slightly better shave with a cartridge razor.

Top Bottom