What's new

So I've been eyeballing handmade brushes...

I'm new to DE shaving and recently picked up an Omega boar brush. I didn't even know if I needed or wanted a brush, but now that I have one there is no going back. So now, of course, I'm shopping for silvertip badger brushes, as one tends to do.

I was leaning toward a Semogue 2013 Special Edition with the olivewood handle, but then I found a local guy who makes handmade brushes. He doesn't use a jig, and turns each one by hand so every one is unique. Also, I believe he uses CA glue as a finish, although I am unsure if this is a good, bad, or indifferent thing as I am quite new to this.

From what I'm seeing, even his most expensive brush is around $5 less than the Semogue. His less expensive brushes are significantly less expensive than the Semogue.

Here are some pics of some of his work which I found online:

proxy.php

Australian Banksia Pod with Alumalite Resin

proxy.php

Stabilized Hollyland Olivewood

proxy.php

Maple burlwood with paua abalone inlay

proxy.php

Box Elder burlwood with abalone inlay

proxy.php

... this guy, and many many more.

I'm quite enamored with the beautiful wood grain and some of his inlay work, but before I go buying brushes all willy nilly, I figured I'd ask the experts.

What say you, folks? Mass produced for more money, or handmade and arguably better looking for less? Anything I'm overlooking in my newbness?

CA is a pretty regular suspect in finishes, as far as I'm aware.

If you are able to actual get hands-on and take a look, since he's local, that would probably be enough to quell any concerns you may have. Those pictures sure look awful good. Also, I'm the type that loves to support a local business, when I'm able to.

Very nice handles. Does he disclose where he sources his knots? Ask him if not.
Even if you end up not liking the knots you can change it after trying.

Edit: personally I'd go for that rather than the Semogue. The Semogue are nice but my custom made brushes are by far my favorites. Though a lot of that is because I made them. :001_smile

The handles look really good to me, but I'd ask where the knots come from before jumping in. It is possible to replace a knot if you don't like it, but it can take a bit of effort and time, and why do it if you can get a good knot in the first place from several sources?
After all, the handle is sort of like the icing, but the knot is the cake.

+1 to what Cumberland Sausage said.... the handles are Fantabulous.. but you don't rub the handle on your kisser. :ladysman:

and if the knots are quality.. I wanna know where I can get one of these brushes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something egregious due to my newness.

Going to see if I can meet up with him and have a look in person. I have a feeling that it's going to be tough to decide on just one!

Thanks again!

I'm not certain where he sources his knots from. I could have sworn that I had seen him selling replacement knots at one of the places where he has his brushes listed for sale, but I can't seem to locate it at the moment. Judging by the look of his handles I would assume that he sources quality knots as well, but you know what they say about assuming.

Being less than knowledgeable about the subject myself, can you folks perhaps state some knot names that are great/good, and perhaps some to avoid so I have some idea when he answers the question?

I wanna know where I can get one of these brushes.

I will absolutely let you folks know where to find these brushes, once I have a chance to look them over in person and presumably buy one.

Don't want him selling out before I get there. :biggrin:

When they're one-off handmade items they aren't generally sitting around in piles, but it's cool. If there isn't anything left that I want I'll just keep using my cheap boar brush.

Happy to see the guy get the business. His work looks great and as such he deserves the sales.

Last edited:
Very nice brushes! And yes, CA is a great finish for them - IMO the best. In a sense you're coating the wood with acrylic, leaving a durable, waterproof and stain resistant finish that also is impermeable to skin oils and the soaps & creams we use.

On knots: if you just get a generic response like "I get my knots direct from China" or something like that don't be afraid to pry. There's a good chance he gets them from the Chinese vendors on ebay. I tried 5 different Chinese vendors on ebay and not one is as good as the knots from The Golden Nib here in the states. Ask if he does a bulk purchase, if he does ask to see a box of knots. The knots purchased in bulk direct from the Chinese manufacturer seem to be much better than individual or sets of knots from the Chinese ebay vendors. If he's willing to use a TGN knot that's great, their finest two band badgers are a big bang for the buck. If you're going to spend the money and he's local, check a knot out before you buy. There's a huge variation among badger knots with the same grade/name. I like the analogy @Cumberland Sausage made, the knot is the cake, make sure it's the one you want.

Very nice brushes! And yes, CA is a great finish for them - IMO the best. In a sense you're coating the wood with acrylic, leaving a durable, waterproof and stain resistant finish that also is impermeable to skin oils and the soaps & creams we use.

On knots: if you just get a generic response like "I get my knots direct from China" or something like that don't be afraid to pry. There's a good chance he gets them from the Chinese vendors on ebay. I tried 5 different Chinese vendors on ebay and not one is as good as the knots from The Golden Nib here in the states. Ask if he does a bulk purchase, if he does ask to see a box of knots. The knots purchased in bulk direct from the Chinese manufacturer seem to be much better than individual or sets of knots from the Chinese ebay vendors. If he's willing to use a TGN knot that's great, their finest two band badgers are a big bang for the buck. If you're going to spend the money and he's local, check a knot out before you buy. There's a huge variation among badger knots with the same grade/name. I like the analogy @Cumberland Sausage made, the knot is the cake, make sure it's the one you want.

Excellent advice!!! Many thanks!

Of the knots I'be bought from Chinese vendors, the three Ace Shaving silvertip ones have been the best. They had decent backbone, soft tips and were pretty dense, and haven't shed more than the odd hair. The Virginia Sheng knot I bought was ok, but not as nice, and I've forgotten the names of the other vendors, which probably says enough about their quality, or lack thereof. Whipped Dog, based in the US, also do nice knots for the price.

Of the knots I'be bought from Chinese vendors, the three Ace Shaving silvertip ones have been the best. They had decent backbone, soft tips and were pretty dense, and haven't shed more than the odd hair. The Virginia Sheng knot I bought was ok, but not as nice, and I've forgotten the names of the other vendors, which probably says enough about their quality, or lack thereof. Whipped Dog, based in the US, also do nice knots for the price.

Very good to know. Thank you.

Top Bottom