What's new

So how do you organize your cellar?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So how do you organize your cellar, or do you? I'm not talking spread sheets or online, but physically so you can put a hand on a particular blend when the fancy strikes you. My stuff is all over the place in my mancave, some of it in a glass front book case, some tins in boxes, some in flats of mason jars. It's not so much of keeping track of what I have, but where I have it.

I’m just getting started, so keeping track of two pipes and three containers of Captain Black is pretty easy.

However, I realize the infection is still in it’s early stages, so I am looking here for help I know I will eventually need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
When I first started I had all my open tins in the second to smallest jars, 8oz I think? And cellared full pounds in the big mason jars.

Then I realized the folly of jarring large quantities, since dipping into it for refilling the 8oz daily driver stash would mean opening and halting the aging.

Today my daily smoking stash is in the smallest 4oz jelly jars, my opened tins are still in the 8oz jars, and the cellared ribbons go into 16oz jars and flakes into 8oz jars. The downside if I have a buttocks load of bottles! With this method my open tins in the 8oz bottles still benefit from aging as I am opening and closing the 4oz bottles when I smoke. When I run out I hit the 8oz bottle to refill the 4oz. When the 8oz runs out I go get a cellared bottle to refill the 8oz. It sounds like a pain in the rear but in reality I only have had to refill a few blends in the last year. I am almost out of Briar Fox so I will have to rummage through the bottles to do a refill.

All the deep cellar bottles are stacked in the box they come in on a shelf grouped together by blend, my 8oz are in a drawer plastic storage drawer, and my 4oz are in a table top plastic office supply stacking drawers.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I should add my daily smoking jars are organized by VaPer, Burley, English and straight Va.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
According to Smoking Pipes, where I buy most, but not all of my tobby, I've tried over 75 blends! Where did it all go (other than up in smoke)? Many blends I've only got one or a couple tins of, still have many of my first purchases.

I have jars and vac packaged stuff in a file folder box, holds dbl stacked mason jars 8 oz and some vac packed stuff i wont get to for a while, just mixed up 2 lbs and vac sealed it and i still have about 10 oz left from july. Nice thing is i can open the bag and transfer it out and re seal the bag as i portion it out. I have baggies of current rotation in a vintage cigar humidor , one with porcelain inserts that help keep the bags some what moist. I did notice the bulk from p and c were smoke ready so i didnt leave much out right now .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Perhaps I should do something similar. What little organization I have, is usually by brand, ie: all Dunhill, all G.L.Pease, all C&D. etc. The many disparate C&D single tins transferred to 4 oz. jars makes organizing a challenge.

I try not to buy tins, i buy bulk, transfer it into jars or vac seal it. I use thick bags to vac seal and they hold Up well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bulk goes into pint "Mason" jars in the basement and daily smokes go into 4 oz flat "Mason" jars (w/screw lids) in plastic draws at my desk. I try not to open a tin unless I'm going to smoke it up in a short time.

0702170731.jpg
1201181603a.jpg
1201181603.jpg

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Tins go in to plastic tubs labeled w a Letter, and bulk is jarred and stored in the cardboard flats they come in, and labeled w a Number. My cellar spreadsheet lists the bin or flat so I can find stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tins go in to plastic tubs labeled w a Letter, and bulk is jarred and stored in the cardboard flats they come in, and labeled w a Number. My cellar spreadsheet lists the bin or flat so I can find stuff.
I do similar. I have cardboard boxes that unopened tins are stacked into, much as the box can fit, and I put a reference number on the box in marker, like "100015". Then any of the tins in that box on the spreadsheet have that ref number. So, if I decide I want to pop a tin of like 3 years aged Orlik GS, I check the spreadsheet and find a tin with that age on it, that will have the box number on it. Go in back to the storage shelves, grab the box with that number, and bingo, there's the tin I wanted in it.

Mason jar'd bulk is just in the flats with a label on the top of the jar, since it's easy enough to scan the lids. On the spreadsheet anything in jars in a flat is serial "0".

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
While I am a pipe smoker, I ration myself to 25g per month, and buy as I need it. No stash.

However, I do have a sizable stash of nasal snuff. I have bulk in 1 litre bail top jars and split between 110ml screw top jars. I also have a number of 70ml bail top jars, and assorted tins and tubs.

The 1 litre and 110ml jars are long term storage. The 70ml bail top jars, and open tins/tubs are for filling my snuffbox. I will occasionally refill the smaller bail jars from bulk, but mainly from the tins.

At the moment, I am only using snuff from the opened tins, as I want to work towards using everything that isn't in glass first. These tins are all in a tool caddy, and I know that anything in there is up for grabs.

Sealed tins are in a cardboard box, stashed in the same cupboard as the 110ml screw top jars, and 1 litre bulk jars. The 70ml bail jars are all in a drawer directly above that cupboard.

I have probably 2 to 3 years snuff in open tins, and 20+ years stash overall.

I have enough pipe tobacco to last me till maybe Wednesday, and the next ration period starts just before Christmas.

Mine stash isn't quite on the level as some here. It is pretty much confined to my tiny closet. This is pretty close to how it is now.

20180917_163314.jpg

From left to right: the white and clear drawers on the left are filled with pipes and one drawer of accessories. There is a project drawer, a meer drawer, a briar drawer, and a cob drawer. They tend to somewhat mix depending on what I have more of and where they fit.

Center: the jars are full of samples, the green container is unopened tins and pouches of tobacco, the clear container on top is my small tupperdore and cigar accessories. The small container to the right is cleaning and restoration tools and supplies.

Right: the large shelf is a recent acquisition that was given to me. The bottom shelf is all jarred tobacco sorted by blend type. The middle shelf is partially jarred tobacco and pipes. The tops shelf can only hold the small rack of pipes shown. Wish I could use it all but because of it also being a closet it is limited. Since this pic I have added a few more pipes and pouches. I do have to get into it and put stuff back away from time to time. I end up with some blends sitting out and some pipes out resting that need to make their way back to their hiding spots.

My jars are just sharpie labeled. If the seal isn't in bad shape I will use them again for similar blends as well. A little alcohol on a swab will take the sharpie off for re labeling. I do not currently have a spreadsheet or online cellar.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Everything goes into mason jars, and I just stack the flats. I use a sharpie to label name and date of jarring.

Long term storage are in pint wide mouth jars or wide mouth 1/2 pints when there is not enough for the pints. Current smoking stock in 4oz jars or tins. If a tin seems to be drying out it goes in a jar. Because I’m in an experimental phase, there are a lot of smoking jars on a bookshelf. My cellar storage is in a repurposed entertainment center in the basement. So far I have enough space with 33.5 pounds stored. I can probably put another 20 pounds or so in there. After an 8 pound buying spree on the holiday sales, I may not be buying much for awhile!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I probably have between 35 to 40 lbs., mostly in either unopened tins or mason jars, some in unsealed "tobacco jars" with the ceramic humidifier disks. I just need a system to make location of various blends easier.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My philosophy is drop in the cellar and forget about it for 20 years:lol:.

Here is a picture of the above mention Entertainment, now Tobacco Center. There is some method to the madness in that tobaccos are arranged by brand and type. I want to build some sort of shelf or rack for the space where the TV originally was, I think it would make pulling out particular flats easier; and the whole section is on a slide out that helps a bit.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've an IKEA linen closet about 20 years old in our granny flat. I'm putting most purchases into mason jars. I have my pipes sitting in there too. I'm having a hard time getting rid of cigar boxes as a lot of them seem so well made vs particle board and worse. I really need to organize my pipes. I was looking for a specific pipe tonight and just could not put my hands on it. It is close somewhere . . . but clearly some crap needs to leave too.

Top Bottom