What's new

So how do you organize your cellar?

One thing I forgot to mention. Another re-purposed item now used for tobacco storage; A tall CD rack, remember CD's? It is a wire stand on wooden "feet" that is ~4.5 feet tall. It is sectioned off in ten sections that each held the same number of CD's lying flat. When I went through the CD's that were there, none of them made the cut, so I have this rack that is headed for the dumpster. Then I realize that a round tin of tobacco will fit quite nicely in the rack. In fact, each section holds four 50g tins or two 100g tins. The rack works just as well, if not better, for tobacco tins than it did for the CD's. It is now "The Tobacco Tower." I find it oddly reassuring to glance over and see it standing there in all its glory. Pics to follow.

One thing I forgot to mention. Another re-purposed item now used for tobacco storage; A tall CD rack, remember CD's? It is a wire stand on wooden "feet" that is ~4.5 feet tall. It is sectioned off in ten sections that each held the same number of CD's lying flat. When I went through the CD's that were there, none of them made the cut, so I have this rack that is headed for the dumpster. Then I realize that a round tin of tobacco will fit quite nicely in the rack. In fact, each section holds four 50g tins or two 100g tins. The rack works just as well, if not better, for tobacco tins than it did for the CD's. It is now "The Tobacco Tower." I find it oddly reassuring to glance over and see it standing there in all its glory. Pics to follow.
Looking forward to the pics!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I like the CD rack idea. I need a way to organize all the 4 oz. squat mason jelly jars I have.

As promised.
proxy.php

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I probably have between 35 to 40 lbs., mostly in either unopened tins or mason jars, some in unsealed "tobacco jars" with the ceramic humidifier disks. I just need a system to make location of various blends easier.

Ceramic humidifier disks? Inside the jars or where you store the jars? My system pretty much matches yours and probably just behind you in size maybe 25-30 pounds? I dunno. I have just been stacking everything in a giant cedar chest, aging baccy on one side, current use rotation on the other and then I just dig for whatever I want.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The glass tobacco jars with the wooden tops and an "O-ring" friction seal, have a ceramic disc that you moisten periodically, part of many a pipe rack by Decatur Industries and other brands, for frequently used tobacco.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've gone to and fro in my methods over the last two or three years, while I have been bouncing around various tobacco samples and methods of organisation. Eventually, I have settled on a system that seems to work quite well for me.

Short term:
For immediate smoking, I have 10 small screw top jars, which hold around 25g of rubbed or ribbon mixtures, or around 50g of flake. I also have 5 small tobacco tins, which hold about half of what the jars do.

20211213_223815.jpg

As for topping up those tins and jars, in the same drawer, I have a small assortment of (maybe 20 to 25) sealed Mylar pouches. Each pouch contains around 1/4 of a 50g tin/pouch. That way, I can crack open a small pouch of a blend, without interrupting the other three sealed pouches that are ageing elsewhere.

I also keep pipe cleaners and filters in the same drawer, so that's where all the day to day smoking is done from. There is probably the best part of a year's tobacco in that drawer.

Medium term:
The drawer below is filled with the Mylar pouches. All individually labelled and colour coded, so I can quickly lay my hands on the type of blend I want.

20211213_223737.jpg

Combining the contents of this ageing drawer with the baccy drawer above, gives me about three to four years of moderately light smoking (at around 3 or 4 bowls per week).

Long term:
Anything beyond what fits in those two drawers, is in cardboard boxes. There's a box with tins that I haven't split into bags yet. More Mylar pouches are crammed in around them. There's also a smaller box, with yet more labelled and colour coded Mylar pouches.

The baccy drawer will get replenished from the ageing drawer, and the ageing drawer replenished from the pouches in the cardboard boxes. The tins will only be opened and split into bags, when there's room in the drawers for them. So they should all be at least five years old before they get cracked open. There's also a few Mylar pouches of assorted plugs in the boxes, which are also having a long sleep.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm much more simple minded :letterk1:
Everything is in mason jars in two drawers. I open whatever jar I want and take some out to smoke.
I have a small drawer with unopened tins that will go in a jar when there's room.
My plan doesn't account for things a few months from now, let alone a few years.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Funny that this thread came up. Now I jar most of my bulk stuff and that’s a whole other issue. But. All the bagged and tin stuff goes in a Costco bin. Today it hit me to make some labels if what is in each bin. Quick reference for me.

E38E1324-ACBA-4F69-8AAF-05B2C49E38E4.jpeg

BE6E9488-52E9-4025-9DAD-20E6DCBEA785.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I’m just getting started, so keeping track of two pipes and three containers of Captain Black is pretty easy.

However, I realize the infection is still in it’s early stages, so I am looking here for help I know I will eventually need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is possible to become and remain a minimalist. I have smoked a pipe, albeit more as the occasional treat than as a constant companion, since the 1960s. I started with two or three pipes, and although they have changed over the years, they remain today at two. A can of Rattray's, usually Black Mallory or Accountants Mixture, is at hand. The challenge for me is finding the good matches. My Case pen knife is my pipe tool, and being my everyday carry, it is always in my pocket.

Top Bottom