What's new

Smell of "The Kraken"

I posted this question over in the soap forum because there was already a thread about Mickey Lee scents, but didn't get much of a response over there so I'll try here.

I ordered a bunch of sample aftershaves from Maggards(15 I think), one of them being Mickey Lee's "The Kraken".
The description on their website states "We took classic barbershop a step further and incorporated an undercurrent reminiscent of fresh ocean air; hints of salt air, sea kelp and agave." I have also read a number of reviews and some state it smells like the ocean, laundry detergent, Febreeze, and blue Irish Spring soap. So in my head, I have a pretty good idea of what this should smell like.

But every time I smell it, the only thing I get is a strong citrus scent, mainly orange. I would put it in the same category as Fine's L'Orange. Different, but similar. So I'm pretty convinced that what's in my little bottle isn't actually the Kraken.

I sent a note to Maggards asking if it's possible that there was a mix-up and they said it's highly unlikely. They get a large bottle from the maker, then they have someone make up the tester bottles from the large bottle. They only do one product at a time, just for that reason, to eliminate mix-ups. But somehow, this doesn't seem right. Maybe Mickey Lee sent them a bottle that was mis-labeled??? But I don't see anything they make that matches the description of what I have.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but does anyone else smell orange in their Kraken?
I think I'll have to order another sample of the Kraken from Mickey Lee and see if there's a difference.

I posted this question over in the soap forum because there was already a thread about Mickey Lee scents, but didn't get much of a response over there so I'll try here.

I ordered a bunch of sample aftershaves from Maggards(15 I think), one of them being Mickey Lee's "The Kraken".
The description on their website states "We took classic barbershop a step further and incorporated an undercurrent reminiscent of fresh ocean air; hints of salt air, sea kelp and agave." I have also read a number of reviews and some state it smells like the ocean, laundry detergent, Febreeze, and blue Irish Spring soap. So in my head, I have a pretty good idea of what this should smell like.

But every time I smell it, the only thing I get is a strong citrus scent, mainly orange. I would put it in the same category as Fine's L'Orange. Different, but similar. So I'm pretty convinced that what's in my little bottle isn't actually the Kraken.

I sent a note to Maggards asking if it's possible that there was a mix-up and they said it's highly unlikely. They get a large bottle from the maker, then they have someone make up the tester bottles from the large bottle. They only do one product at a time, just for that reason, to eliminate mix-ups. But somehow, this doesn't seem right. Maybe Mickey Lee sent them a bottle that was mis-labeled??? But I don't see anything they make that matches the description of what I have.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but does anyone else smell orange in their Kraken?
I think I'll have to order another sample of the Kraken from Mickey Lee and see if there's a difference.
The Kraken has a unique soap color. Does the sample have it as well?

I've got the AS but haven't used it in 6 or more months. I'll have to pull that one out and give it a try.

I forgot to quote the user..

The Kraken has a unique soap color. Does the sample have it as well.

It doesn't smell like oranges at all to me. I guess I could see how somebody could smell laundry detergent, if their detergent smells like a barbershop next to the sea... It's hard to describe, soapy like barbershop scents but there's a depth to it that is hard to explain, kind of like a whiff of fresh ocean air.

I have been using a sample I recently purchased from Maggards. I do not detect an orange or a citrus smell. It smells much like the descriptions you listed in your comments.

All right. Now I'm even more convinced that what I have isn't actually Kraken. I have asked all my kids and wife what they think of it, and everyone says oranges.

I have no idea what it might be. I wouldn't mind knowing though, it's quite nice.
I sent a note to Mickey Lee's though their website, but haven't heard back from them. Maybe I'll ask on their Facebook page if they ever made a citrus scented aftershave. They seem to respond pretty quickly there.

The can't believe you bought 15 AS samples and didn't get L'Orange Noir! If they do make a mistake they did you a favor:) that stuff is wonderful.

I smelt my Kraken (hmmm- something sounds strange there!) soap and get nothing near oranges out of it. I also don't get any ocean like people say. I get barbershop with a whisk of fresh detergent. It's a nice scent.

Last edited:
The can't believe you bought 15 AS samples and didn't get L'Orange Noir! If they do make a mistake they did you a favor:) that stuff is wonderful.

Who said I didn't get L'Orange? I actually did get it. :thumbup1: And the two(L'Orange and my Kraken) smell quite similar. The faux Kraken I have smells like a cleaner, warmer(if that makes sense) more natural version of oranges than L'Orange.

Kraken is very soapy smelling. I have the soap and the shampoo bar, and both are very soapy and no fruity smells. I wonder what you got?

Who said I didn't get L'Orange? I actually did get it. :thumbup1: And the two(L'Orange and my Kraken) smell quite similar. The faux Kraken I have smells like a cleaner, warmer(if that makes sense) more natural version of oranges than L'Orange.

Possibly Paradise Frost. It's citrus + menthol, but the menthol is slight. If it's a MLS sample, that would be my guess.

L'Orange is hands down my favorite AS. I like the soap too but prefer the performance of my Chiseled Face & MLS just a bit more. I'm still working on getting the optimum lather with it though. When I nail it, it's as good as the others, but I can't nail it every time yet.

Last edited:
Possibly Paradise Frost. It's citrus + menthol, but the menthol is slight. If it's a MLS sample, that would be my guess.

That's a good possibility. The description of Paradise Frost is much closer to what I'm smelling. I wonder how long ago they quit making that one.

You say "Kraken" and I think of rum!
proxy.php

You say "Kraken" and I think of rum!
proxy.php

I wonder how that would work as an AS....

That's a good possibility. The description of Paradise Frost is much closer to what I'm smelling. I wonder how long ago they quit making that one.
That sucks! I didn't know it was d/c'd. PF along with Cryogen are the most used soaps in my rotation, I load both onto my brush for an icy citrus blast.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No. Kraken is a clean, fresh-powder-linen-clean (blue soapy) bathroom smell. No mistaking it.

+3 there is a mixup, likely with Fine's L'Orange, methinks.

AA

I broke out my Kraken aftershave milk this morning. Soapy, yes, a faint citrus note in there. Not a very powerful fragrance overall and doesn't linger long after application. Probably not my favorite for scent, but it does make my skin feel pretty darn good.

Top Bottom