What's new

Slim: Which one/year is the best?

The amount of information on vintage razors here is outstanding. It is a lot to take in. So I've noticed that certain years or models of the Gillette Slim are well loved by fellow DE shavers. Which is your favorite, and why?

I will never get rid of my Slim H3 ... it was my first DE razor, and at the time, I didn't think that shaving could get any better than this.

Well, several years, and many razors later, it did get better. My H3 has been in the drawer for about 6 years now, and I can't think of any reason to take it out for a spin again. I've come to the conclusion that I don't like adjustables, and I really, really don't like TTOs.

I've had several other editions of the Slim, along with a Fatboy, and a long-handled Black Beauty from 1974. I never noticed a whole lot of difference between any of them.

Slims are fine razors. I have no problem recommending them to a newbie, and if I were stranded and that was the only razor I had, I'd be OK with it. But there are so many better 2 and 3 piece fixed head razors out there, and that's what I keep in active rotation.

PS: When I'm in the rare mood to use an Adjustable, I reach for a Progress with IKon knob.

I think they're all pretty good. I much prefer the shave they give to that of a Fatboy & a Slim can be had for around half the price.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I am not aware of any difference between different years of Slims. There seems to be some slight variation among years with the common-style Fatboy, but it seems things got pretty well standardized by the time the Slim came along.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I am not aware of any difference between different years of Slims. There seems to be some slight variation among years with the common-style Fatboy, but it seems things got pretty well standardized by the time the Slim came along.
True; Late Fatboys used a crimped cap to hold the mechanism together, early ones used a screw on cap identified by 2 notches. All Slims use a crimped cap.

I have had an L1 since new, and I will have it to the end, but it is not in the rotation anymore. I did take it to Europe for a month in 2013 as my only razor, and it was nice, but I have been snared by open combs (although, I am struggling through February with a D4 Fatboy and a Personna 74* blade).

It's not the 'when' it was made, it's the 'where'; everybody knows that a Made in England Slim will shave circles around one made in the US. Plus, it'll have better plating, be ever so slightly more classy, and cost 4 times as much on eBay!

Just kidding- I don't think there are any significant differences (if any at all). I have 4 of them, all from different years of manufacture.

There is a large differences between the Gillette Adjustable "Fatboy" and "Slim" and later the Super Adjustable or "Black Beauty". No differences is design between model years of each model. I think when we refer to the model, year, and quarter we just are identifying what we have or expressing some fondness for a razor that may be of a year with significance to us. I sure like my '59 E1 Fatboy and my '63 I3 Slim!

It's not the 'when' it was made, it's the 'where'; everybody knows that a Made in England Slim will shave circles around one made in the US. Plus, it'll have better plating, be ever so slightly more classy, and cost 4 times as much on eBay!

Just kidding- I don't think there are any significant differences (if any at all). I have 4 of them, all from different years of manufacture.

You had me going there for a minute.

I think they're all pretty good. I much prefer the shave they give to that of a Fatboy & a Slim can be had for around half the price.

+1. Have a '64 Slim and they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

My Fat Boy? Sits in the storage box with my Merkur 38c, '63 Super Speed, and a '65 Slim that shaves terribly (I think the mechanism that snugs the blade up is bent). One day I'll need to get it replated, but it shaves like a Ferrari.

Top Bottom