What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

I don't think most of my razors are much different for WTG/XTG. I can handle just about anything for that. It is only with the ATG pass that they really differentiate themselves.
On average I second that. Most of my razors when used WTG/XTG give me the same results. With notable exceptions being the R41, the Greencult 1.0 and Razorine Flatboy - but not by much. The ATG pass is both a necessity to get me to BBS (I have never been able to get BBS from a two pass WTG/XTG) and differs very much between razors.

Is that even possible for some?
Since that's what I always do, I can get very close to BBS with some razors (DFS++) but never BBS.
That's why I prefer positive exposure razors to use daily!
Well that’s at least what I read in reports now and again. I can understand it with WTG/ATG maybe, but my skin doesn’t like it too much when I skip the XTG. I do indeed like positive exposure as well.

You would be pleasantly surprised by the Lambda razors Larry. I read there is an Ares incoming?! My guess would be that it will be in your top 3 either instantly or very soon.

Cheers,

Guido

On average I second that. Most of my razors when used WTG/XTG give me the same results. With notable exceptions being the R41, the Greencult 1.0 and Razorine Flatboy - but not by much. The ATG pass is both a necessity to get me to BBS (I have never been able to get BBS from a two pass WTG/XTG) and differs very much between razors.

I maintain that one can not get to BBS without an ATG pass. BBS is defined to be completely smooth in all directions. You can't get to completely smooth without going ATG. QED

I also maintain that BBS isn't the be-all, end-all. If you want to chase it, that's great. If you want to do a quick 1 pass to knock the whiskers off, awesome! Also, I'll never get to 100% BBS for every square micron of my face/neck. With my best razors, I can get the majority of it.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May

Last night’s cap-riding, zippy shave
Fatip Grande
Sharp Titanium (3)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky
AP ShaveCo Dinosaur G5C 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: warm shower :001_wub:
Lather: ARKO!; face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

Managed to pick up the pace again and my shave was a little closer and a little more comfortable while being a little more timely. Felt like I was wiping wet Play-Doh off my neck and face and that was a pleasant sensation. Synthetic brush, modern razor and blade, industrial shave soap, and indoor plumbing :001_wub: … ¡Viva modernity!

Wifey made more ham and pea soup last night. I’m a ducky of luckiness.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

You can't get to completely smooth without going ATG.

Don’t know if this is one less or one further, but I’ll say you can’t get completely smooth unless you cut your whiskers so they’re below skin level.

Whether that’s from ATG, really good skin stretching, impractical prep routines, or pressing the razor into the skin with absurd amounts of pressure, the skin won’t feel all smoov unless that happens.

Well that’s at least what I read in reports now and again. I can understand it with WTG/ATG maybe, but my skin doesn’t like it too much when I skip the XTG. I do indeed like positive exposure as well.

You would be pleasantly surprised by the Lambda razors Larry. I read there is an Ares incoming?! My guess would be that it will be in your top 3 either instantly or very soon.

Cheers,

Guido
Looking forward to the Ares. Patiently waiting!

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Don’t know if this is one less or one further, but I’ll say you can’t get completely smooth unless you cut your whiskers so they’re below skin level.

Whether that’s from ATG, really good skin stretching, impractical prep routines, or pressing the razor into the skin with absurd amounts of pressure, the skin won’t feel all smoov unless that happens.
I agree 100%. My razors all do a great job at cutting at skin level, but I’ll always have stubble ATG. The only way I would get patches of stubble-free skin was in my old days of “lift and cut” Norelco rotary electrics.

All I've ever gotten from the few times I've gone ATG is a burn. Something I'm not willing to live with. As @Jay21 said, I also used electrics my whole life and got his same results.
And they were without the burn I mentioned but at the expense of ingrown hairs.
2 pass WTG/XTG wet shaving daily = close enough, no ingrowns, no burn & no 5 o'clock shadow. I'm more than happy with that!

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
All I've ever gotten from the few times I've gone ATG is a burn. Something I'm not willing to live with. As @Jay21 said, I also used electrics my whole life and got his same results.
And they were without the burn I mentioned but at the expense of ingrown hairs.
2 pass WTG/XTG wet shaving daily = close enough, no ingrowns, no burn & no 5 o'clock shadow. I'm more than happy with that!
Electrics also gave me burn, and the worst ingrown hair of my life that required some self-surgery, so electrics were definitely lose-lose for me.

As a number of folks have pointed out the WTG and XTG passes are pretty much the same for me and it really doesn't matter which razor I'm using. As a matter of usage some of my razors are even lesser in efficiency as far as those two passes than others. However, virtually ALL of them do a very effective ATG for the most part. And a few of those are really good at it. As to those who:
Do not go Against The Grain,
To avoid some pain,
Have something to gain,
But going with the flow,
Will never really know,
What it's like to bestow,
The glorious BBS glow,
On those who may follow
And now I really gotta go
BADABOOM!
There's a poet in each of us...just not much of one in me...Hah.

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 8.57.37 AM.png

thombrogan

Modern May

Last night’s cap-riding, zippy shave
Fatip Grande
Sharp Titanium (4)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky
AP ShaveCo Dinosaur G5C 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: warm shower :001_wub:
Lather: ARKO!; face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

Had a great shave. Comfortable, quick, and close enough for the win!

The quality of my shaves improved after I stopped chasing BBS.

Same here. I wasn’t getting BBS anyways.

Put the air conditioners in the windows before the coconut oil was liquid at room temperature. Wifey insulated them and, hopefully, kept our Wee Babby’s one from being a walkway for wasps.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Top Bottom