What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

Glad you're on the mend...

giphy-9.gif

Going two further and saying mild tends to be preferred, but mild that gets the blade as flat/shallow* as possible is preferred. And light is very nice as well. Less than 2.4 ounces – with that being the upper bound – highly preferred

* = blade and its edge relative to my skin independent of whether the razor’s handle is parallel/perpendicular to anything.

You said this in the what did you learn thread. That resembles my thinking. What are your faves in this category, Thom?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@spacemonkey42 ,

I think most of my milder razors could stand to be tamed, but the Travel Raptor SE, Karve Overlander, GEM Micromatic Open Comb, Fatip Grande, Blackland Blackbird, and the Mamba and Game Changer from RazoRock seem to fit the bill. Maybe the Schick E2, too, if I can get the pressure right.

thombrogan

Some of them are mild when used as designed. If you’re aiming for the butter knife on toast sound with a Micromatic, it’s being misused. A Blackbird probably isn’t mild, but feels mild with a shallow angle and brisk pace.

Editing to add:

When it’s more appropriate for me to bound around less restrained, a Gillette post-war Tech may see some use and I do still covet the Feather AS-D2 and Pearl K2.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Last night’s so-so shave
Schick E3 Injector
Parker/Personna blade (3)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky
Wash and Lather: AP ShaveCo Dinosaur G5C 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: Al’s method
Lather: Proraso blue; face-lathered
Post-shave: warm shower :001_wub: and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Started out good and then I chased stragglers. At least I had a shower :001_wub:

Karve Overlander is more suited for how I shave, but the Schick E3 is so stinkin’ cute. Being mauled by something cute is really only okay if the cute thing is alive, so maybe less my only Injector for now.

Drove for the first time since last Tuesday. Nothing big, just a Dunk’s run (for our international readers, “Dunk’s,” “Dunkin,” and “Dunkin Donuts” is a franchise that sells coffee-like products. Its customers tend to prefer their beverages over real coffee), but it was a mix of sensations I didn’t particularly enjoy. Every day closer, though.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Last night’s so-so shave
Schick E3 Injector
Parker/Personna blade (3)
Pre-shave: Al’s method
Lather: Proraso blue; face-lathered
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Started out good and then I chased stragglers. At least I had a shower :001_wub:

Karve Overlander is more suited for how I shave, but the Schick E3 is so stinkin’ cute. Being mauled by something cute is really only okay if the cute thing is alive, so maybe less my only Injector for now.

Drove for the first time since last Tuesday. Nothing big, just a Dunk’s run (for our international readers, “Dunk’s,” “Dunkin,” and “Dunkin Donuts” is a franchise that sells coffee-like products. Its customers tend to prefer their beverages over real coffee), but it was a mix of sensations I didn’t particularly enjoy. Every day closer, though.

Happy shaves, everyone!
I keep saying I'm going to try the G4 and G8 I inherited from my mother a while back, but I never seem to get around to it. I had such bad experiences with them when I was a teen, it seems like a daunting task but I'm guessing I know a bit more than I did then, so perhaps, I'll come out unscathed.

thombrogan

Kim, I think it’s strange that Injector razors are gentle, autopilot razors that bring so many users a close, comfortable shave that lacks challenge and then there’s us.

Thanks for the well wishes, Kim and Eric. Between healing up and stopping having a second bowl of cereal with each meal and snack, all should soon be well.

thombrogan

Last night’s hovering shave
RazoRock Mamba 0.53 on PAA el Fantasma handle
Sharp Titanium (3)
Pre-shave: splash of water on whiskers
Lather: ARKO!; face-lathered
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

My brain has better success using the RazoRock Mamba 0.53 at a neutral or even steep angle, but I wanted to use it more shallow with only occasional tilts where needed. With two passes for my face and neck and maybe four or five for my jawline, I may have more data for the next shave. Irritation along the jawline faded over night.

Wifey made some chili last night. Very delicious. I prefer the taco meat she prepares because it lacks all the seasonings that *** with her immune system, but this was yummy.

Got lots of much needed unconsciousness last night. :001_wub: Bordering on the joy of having a shower. #Blessed #Spoiled

Happy shaves, everyone!

Last night’s hovering shave
RazoRock Mamba 0.53 on PAA el Fantasma handle
Sharp Titanium (3)
Pre-shave: splash of water on whiskers
Lather: ARKO!; face-lathered
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

My brain has better success using the RazoRock Mamba 0.53 at a neutral or even steep angle, but I wanted to use it more shallow with only occasional tilts where needed. With two passes for my face and neck and maybe four or five for my jawline, I may have more data for the next shave. Irritation along the jawline faded over night.

Wifey made some chili last night. Very delicious. I prefer the taco meat she prepares because it lacks all the seasonings that *** with her immune system, but this was yummy.

Got lots of much needed unconsciousness last night. :001_wub: Bordering on the joy of having a shower. #Blessed #Spoiled

Happy shaves, everyone!
My experience follows: The Mamba 0.53 has a narrow gap and a slightly negative exposure depending upon the width of the blade used. As a result it is a challenge to maintain the ideal shave angle. Add some pressure and a bunch of passes and irritation is likely to happen.

Happy shaves.

Top Bottom