What's new

Slant razors are cheating!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Shaved today with my Razorock German Slant, the cheap 20 dollar one. It was fine; the blade not so much! It was no. 7.... Funny thing is, shave #6 was like shave #1! Weird. Of course, I've been experimenting with using the same blade in different razors, and the 6th one was in my birth year and quarter Tech.
So my advice to @Trenchdigger is get the cheapy that I bought. And since I'm 55 the dang Zamack head will out live me if I treat it right.

I almost went back to carts until I bought my RR 37 German. I have a pretty heavy beard and fairly sensitve skin, and my other razors (RR Mission and Maggards V3) were requiring 3 passes plus touch up for a DFS.

Every day I had razor burn despite doing a lot of prep before my shaves.

Now, I do two passes, no touch ups, with less prep, and get a DFS plus daily. The 37 is just that much more efficient.

I didn't quit carts to collect soaps (although I have a dozen) or razors (although I now have 4 or them). I got into DE to get better shaves. I've found my daily driver and I'm happy. And, I think that's all that matters.

I thought the Merkur 37C was hard to beat at one point. That was until I acquired a Wunderbar!! The 37C shipped out yesterday to a new home...

I used my RazoRock German 37 slant today and got a nice smooth shave. The original brass handle's weight makes it too aggressive for me, so I've been using it with a Lord L5 aluminum handle. Now the balance and maneuverability are much better.

I used my RazoRock German 37 slant today and got a nice smooth shave. The original brass handle's weight makes it too aggressive for me, so I've been using it with a Lord L5 aluminum handle. Now the balance and maneuverability are much better.

Is that the copy made in Pakistan ?

Had to throw mine out the blade was so wavy and would cut my face up.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Good. Doing the Gillette slide does not work on your neck. Believe me, the first time I tried it on my neck it was a disaster. I would love to see a video of someone do a Gillette slide going ATG on their neck!
...or j-hooking with a slant especially a PAA OCB. I've still got a scar to prove it. :001_huh:

Good. Doing the Gillette slide does not work on your neck. Believe me, the first time I tried it on my neck it was a disaster.

Slide is tough on the neck, but tilting the razor a bit works just fine. I tend to hold the razor handle a few degrees off of strait in the direction of swipe on my neck, which results in a bit on an angle at the blade to skin point. That said, I have a tough time with most open combs, and tend to be much more careful and deliberate in watching technique using an open comb.

That still doesn't give the added stiffness to the cutting edge that torquing the blade will give. Then again, we all do what works for us :)

The pakistan ones are the ones from The Holy Black and ManlyStuff. VERY uneven toothing, and other problems. The RR 37 head is crisp and even.

As opposed to a number of posters, I find that my 37c is not as angle-sensitive as several straight-bar razors I've tried. Very convenient for me as my "perfect storm" part of my beard map is right under the jawline, and I'd have to scrape it raw for a BBS without the slant. Still requires J-hooking and buffing, but it works with the slant, and not with the others.

I also think that the fact the blade is held tightly makes a difference. Bottom line is that while, of course, I have to shave carefully, I don't need to finick for a great shave in a fairly short time. It pairs beautifully with the Astra SP, and well with Feathers, Med Preps, and Derbies.

The pakistan ones are the ones from The Holy Black and ManlyStuff. VERY uneven toothing, and other problems. The RR 37 head is crisp and even.

No it's the same rebranded junk. I tossed mine out after the horrible customer service.
Buy American.

No it's the same rebranded junk. I tossed mine out after the horrible customer service.
Buy American.
I'm Dutch ;)

That said, the Holy Balck and ManlyStuff razors have horrid uneven toothing and stuff, and have several other issues. Compared to those, the RR 37 head is a good head, no issues at all. No idea where RR's customer service is located.

I finally tried a Merkur 37C ... and it opened my eyes to slant razors. Shaving with a slant is definitely not cheating. ;)

I loaded it up with a Feather, and used my regular shaving soap.

What I like: Rigid blade, and surprisingly smooth and very close! I found myself using more pressure than is prudent and had to back off quite a bit to let the razor do the work for me. Once I dialed in the angle it was smooth sailing.

What I dislike: Very close shave ... I have been feeling a lot of razor burn, similar to what I get using ATT razors (M1, R1, H1). Maybe it's a technique thing or too much pressure; I'll keep poking at it. I do not experience razor burn with my 34C or Merkur OC. I also dislike the gigantic head. I feel like I'm driving a truck instead of a sports car. The giant head and blade slant also make it difficult for me to be precise ... trimming required a lot more concentration and trial/error than usual.

Overall: a worthy addition to the quiver. It will not enter my regular rotation, but I will take it for a spin from time to time.

When using a slant one has to be careful not to end up with pointed sideburns a-la-Star-Trek ---or with a tiny, downward-pointing, wedge-shaped mustache:001_tt2:

Good to know ... I'll try another blade. I started with the Feather to reduce variables; I use Feather with all my other razors.

Feather and Kai are my go to blades in the 37, but he's right about trying a deferent blade for awhile. Once you get angle down, you'll be golden and could try the Feather again.

Top Bottom