What's new

Slant razors are cheating!

I used a new iKon X3 slant this morning - got a BBS shave, but needed styptic pencil for a few spots post-shave.

I find that when I use a slant I nullify its advantage (assuming there is one) as I tend to direct the razor perpendicular to the edge of its head rather than in the direction of its handle.
As with open comb razors, I get more nicks and cuts using a slant razor, although the Merkur 37c is kinder to me.

It'll be time for me to sell off a bunch of off-road razors real soon and just pare it down to simple. I have enough collections in my life - drums, camera lenses, fountain pens, scotch whisky, Lord knows I have to resist this RAD/SCAD, SSAD, SBAD thing...so easy to get sucked in. :hand::hand::hand::hand:

I have 4 different slants, and can attest that skill is definitely needed to use them without blood loss. All 4 are very aggressive and take a certain finesse to get a nice shave without irritation or bleeding. Once you know how to handle them, you'll get, or at least I do, BBS every time.
The razors are:
- vintage Krect Spiral Slant
- vintage Pomco Slant with the Silver handle
- a modern slant sold by Sterling
- a modern Razorock German 37 Slant

All razors are cheating. The real deal would be a sharp stone (yes it has been done, not my thing though).
WHAT???
Sure. IIRC this has been posted and discussed also here on B&B, but right now I'm too lazy to search for the thread. Here's the YT video of a guy who did it for all of us eight years ago.

All razors are cheating.
+1! I have not found much advantage to using a slant. YMMV for sure!
Yes, that was pretty much the point I tried to make between the lines.

The only slant I have used so far is the 37c (one of the smoothest, most foolproof DE razors imnsho), and of course it is different than other razors, same as OC razors are different amongst themselves, SB razors are different amongst themselves, and so on. It also has been stated many times that different slants can be as different as the spelling of their brand and model name. Things are just not that simple that we coud say slanst shave like this, OCs do that, and SB razors would have a common thing in their performance that other types of razors would not have - or all vice versa.

My bottom line: you can't judge a razor by how it looks like.

I have 4 different slants, and can attest that skill is definitely needed to use them without blood loss. All 4 are very aggressive and take a certain finesse to get a nice shave without irritation or bleeding. [...]
The razors are:
- [...]
- a modern Razorock German 37 Slant
Razorock is German? That would be absolutely new to me (I may have missed that one though). But maybe you just meant to mention a Razorock model called "37" after the German Merkur DE razor. The latter is one of the most docile, foolproof and yet extremely efficient DE razors I know (sorry for repeating what I wrote in my previous post). I suggest you to try the original and you most probably will bust your own opinion! :wink2:

The rumor that slants were per se "aggressive" DE razors ist just a myth nurtured by modern DE razor manufacturers who apparently too often produce not so easy to handle razors.
Where are Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman when we need them? :a31:

Razorock is German? That would be absolutely new to me (I may have missed that one though). But maybe you just meant to mention a Razorock model called "37" after the German Merkur DE razor. The latter is one of the most docile, foolproof and yet extremely efficient DE razors I know (sorry for repeating what I wrote in my previous post). I suggest you to try the original and you most probably will bust your own opinion! :wink2:

The rumor that slants were per se "aggressive" DE razors ist just a myth nurtured by modern DE razor manufacturers who apparently too often produce not so easy to handle razors.
Where are Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman when we need them? :a31:
Well YMMV, and no two faces are the same. That being said the slants I have and use are aggressive to me. Being 35 I still have young and soft skin, unlike my poor father who used to work in potash mines and has tooling leather for skin.

I have to agree with Haegar about one thing, the Merkur 37c could be the smoothest razor of all. I found it easy to shave with and every blade is smooth with it.

My story. I was skeptical about slants and used adjustables most of the time. The FB and Slim were my main razors for over 50 years. When I joined B&B my first razor purchases were two Progress razors that I converted into Mergresses. They became my favorite razors.

Then one day I bought a Merkur 37C. First, my beard grows in numerous directions. In some places it changes direction every inch. As a result, when I do my first pass that will be ATG and XTG in some places. If I use an aggressive razor with a large gap the result is some irritation no matter how light a touch I use. With the first shave with the Merkur 37C I was convinced these razors were for me. My first pass was efficient and smooth - with zero irritation. I used that razor for a week and liked it so much I bought a vintage Hoffritz slant not realizing it was the same as the 37C. That razor was followed by some RR Stealth Slant, ATT S-1 an S-2, and a RR Wunderbar slant. Today I have five slants in my rotation and every one gives me a close, smooth shave. In fact, the AAT S1 is now my favorite razor followed by the RR Stealth Slant.

I don't care what the theory of the slant razor is. All I know is that for me, slants work. I get a BBS shave with zero irritation whenever I use a slant.

Bad technique is not cured by using a slant. Bad technique causes bad shaves no matter what shaving gear you use. So if you can't find or maintain the correct angle, a slant won't help you.
And since when is using the right tool for the job equal to cheating?

Bad technique is not cured by using a slant. Bad technique causes bad shaves no matter what shaving gear you use. So if you can't find or maintain the correct angle, a slant won't help you.
And since when is using the right tool for the job equal to cheating?
+1 Good technique will overcome a bad razor. Bad technique will NEVER be improved by a good razor.

Don't forget, you can use the Gillette Slide, or lightly slant your razor head to obtain the same goal as using a slant razor. The ikon 102 is basically a strait untorqued head, with a bent or angled stud. No different than tilting the razor a few degrees.

@cyberdog the gilletteslide only emulates the non-torqued slants. Presently, these are limited to the iKon 102, the PAA Alpha Ecliptic and the Windrose closed comb. All other are torqued, which adds rigidity which does alter the shave.

Thanks for the great discussion. I'm learning a lot about slants and shaving technique. Collectively you all have convinced me to try a slant.

Regardless of the tool used (assuming a good tool), here are the top items that affect a quality shave:

-User skill and technique
-Razor design
-Blade rigidity

Also... I'll be experimenting with the Gillette slide; it will be interesting if I notice a difference.

Thanks for the great discussion. I'm learning a lot about slants and shaving technique. Collectively you all have convinced me to try a slant.

Regardless of the tool used (assuming a good tool), here are the top items that affect a quality shave:

-User skill and technique
-Razor design
-Blade rigidity

Also... I'll be experimenting with the Gillette slide; it will be interesting if I notice a difference.

Good. Doing the Gillette slide does not work on your neck. Believe me, the first time I tried it on my neck it was a disaster. I would love to see a video of someone do a Gillette slide going ATG on their neck!

iKon X3 with Feather blade is cheating coz the shave is so good and the razor was like fity dolla on Massdrop to me with pak of blades and twenty dolla for a ridiculous high quality travel case I'm using
when on the move.

Trust in yourself, trust in getting a really BBS without even feeling a scraping motion and top it all off with a maraschino cherry.

I own a number of razors, and among the best in category are the 37C and 34C. With sensitive skin and a tough beard, my (Merkur) Slant manages to deliver a genuine one-pass shave when matched with my favorite DE blade, the IP Red. In the end, it's worth the time spent to practice your technique. As a note: Please make sure the blade is lined up properly on the Slant for the best results possible. The 34C (HD) provides a similarly good shave, maybe a little milder and so more forgiving. Both should be in any serious shave den. :001_cool:

I own a number of razors, and among the best in category are the 37C and 34C. With sensitive skin and a tough beard, my (Merkur) Slant manages to deliver a genuine one-pass shave when matched with my favorite DE blade, the IP Red. In the end, it's worth the time spent to practice your technique. As a note: Please make sure the blade is lined up properly on the Slant for the best results possible. The 34C (HD) provides a similarly good shave, maybe a little milder and so more forgiving. Both should be in any serious shave den. :001_cool:

I've read the alignment on the 37c is like an old Buick LeSabre.

Hellava back seat but hard to land it.

All my DE's And even my SE razors are Slant razors, Including my Gillette Slim and Gem 1912. No mater that I shave ATG, up, down, sideways, I've always angled my razor so that the blade cuts like a Guillotine. So eliminating the need for a Slant Razor. But that's just the way I shave.

Hi,

My Fasan DoubleSlant has only one angle where it works. Go a bit steep or shallow, and one side stops cutting. Go further in either direction, and the far end of the blade will start digging a trench in your skin. And, you have to rotate the razor some while pulling to maintain that one angle.

So, this Slant requires technique akin to a Straight to shave well and not cut.

The reward is a fine DFS in two passes (WTG, ATG) without irritation.

It is the best performing safety razor I have found in over 40 years of shaving.

Stan

Top Bottom