What's new

Single Edge Sunday - What Will You Use?

I use modified Gems. I have a bunch of the wedge blades, but haven't been able to sharpen them yet. Hmmm, I do have a couple that are NOS, still wrapped and in the waxy grease wrapper. I am hesitant about using those. Since these blades are hard to come by.

Been using the Cobra exclusively since returning from our 3 week vacation so today will be the same as the previous week.

I gotta put the Cobra away so that I can use some of my other razors :sad:

proxy.php

MMOC or Clogproof (have not decided) w/GEM PTFE
As many passes as it takes
Arko stick w/cheap VH boar brush
Floid Vigoroso

It's Sunday and I used an Ever Ready 1912 for my first ever SE shave with a CVS blade and CJ Bigelow cream. I loved the shave and will be seeking out some Gem/Personna blades as soon as I finish off the CVS blades.

The Empire Strikes Back. Used Wilkinson Sword Empire Razor, with a modified Gem blade. It was going great, until, my third pass, for touch ups. I was going around the chin with one hand, and feeling for rough spots with the other. Multitasking with an Empire, set on the almost straight edge settling isn't smart. I took a chunk about half the diameter of a pencil, and round, out of the side of my chin. I bled like a stuck pig, and went for the stypic pencil quickly. That saved about a pint of the red stuff. Served me right.

Gem micromatic clog proof
Gem micromatic open comb
Ever ready 1925??????
Gem 1912

I need to figure out what exactly the ever ready is. Think I've heard them called them called shovel heads. They flip forward instead of back to change the blade. I don't get shaves that smooth except for a handful of razors I can count on the fingers of one hand. All of those razors expensive too. It's a truly great shave when the razor has you checking to see if it has a blade in it.

That's a Shovel Head ... a "1924" in common parlance, although it was made prior to 1924. I think its widespread advertising in a certain department store's 1924 catalogue gave it the name.

Been using the GEM feather weight for a few weeks now paired with GEM SS baldes. Have been getting some BBS and DFA shaves with little bother. Its coming on leave with me.

Ended up using a user grade Ever Ready I picked up today.
Sanitized, cleaned, shaved.

GEM PTFE
Cheap VH Boar
Floid Vigoroso

Very smooth, but I learned to respect the Ever Ready.
I've got some work to do on technique.

Does the M5 grub screw tick work on the Ever Ready ?

Iteration

Great retro shave 1912 ever ready with a Rexall permedge. blue and yellow wrapper wonder what year these blades were made?

Top Bottom