What's new

Single Edge SEptember 2021

Today. Single EDGE,

Head shaving : ATT SE1 with KAI Titan MILD.

And DE.

Face shaving : iKon B1 Standard with Astra.

IMG_20210930_120352.jpg

The Vector, I’ve come to realize, is a very efficient razor. Pairing that with a very sharp blade like the Proline is a recipe for razor burn, particularly if daily shaving.

If I’m not mistaken, [mention]never-stop-learning [/mention]uses the Vector with a Kai Captain Mild Pink **guarded** blade. I may want to experiment with that sometime.

SEptember Shave 27

Ever-Ready 1912
Carbon-steel SE blade (9)
Semogue boar brush
Soap Commander Integrity

Thus ends my SEptember shaves. I participated in this challenge before using my injector razors. This time I wanted to do the whole month with Gem-style SE razors. I only had my Micromatic so I picked two others so that I would have something to use this month. To my surprise I made it with one carbon-steel blade in each razor! I used these CVS blades a lot in my Micromatic with mixed success. Sometimes I got five or six shaves. Once I made it to 14. It didn't seem to matter how I treated the blade between shaves. This month I just towel dried the blades and razors after each shave. As you can see from the picture below I did get some rust but fortunately not on the edge.

How did the razors do? The star of the month seemed to be the Ever-Ready 1912. I consistently got BBS or near BBS shaves with little effort. The shaves were super comfortable. The other razors fared well, but the shaves were less consistent. I think they are more sensitive to shave angle. Lather and prep, of course, always makes a difference. All great razors!

D7ABD125-F083-461B-91B7-D4EB2AD33D6F_1_201_a.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (9)
Ω10048 Boar brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: refined shea butter about 8 hours prior
Pre-shave: Face rinse with shave binky
Lather: Col Conk Unscented
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: refined shea butter

Thus endeth my SEptember

Hey Thom,
I have the Hawk V3 SB, and I find close to a Mary Poppins razor for me!
View attachment 1326505

But Open Combs are my nemesis! Almost all are too much for my tender visage!
I have the RR hawk V3 open comb - recent acquisition ( retails for around €105 but I got it on offer for €90 - okay, far more expensive in Europe)

My first open comb razor ( I would classify my Mühle R41 2013 as a semi open comb ) .

The stainless steel handle has deep knurling which is great , but the balance point is not spot on for me - I prefer the traditional balance point .So I am considering on purchasing the RR titanium handle to pair with the razor head .

Also when paired with a feather Pro blade and WTG & ATG passes I achieve BBS ( 24h after the shave my skin is smooth - a cartridge razor user would be more than pleased with the result )

Last edited:
I have the RR hawk V3 open comb - recent acquisition ( retails for around €105 but I got it on offer for €90 - okay, far more expensive in Europe)

My first open comb razor ( I would classify my Mühle R41 2013 as a semi open comb ) .

The stainless steel handle has deep knurling which is great , but the balance point is not spot on for me - I prefer the traditional balance point .So I am considering on purchasing the RR titanium handle to pair with the razor head .

Also when paired with a feather Pro blade and WTG & ATG passes I achieve BBS ( 24h after the shave my skin is smooth - a cartridge razor user would be more than pleased with the result )
I just ordered the RR titanium handle €29 here in Europe .

thombrogan

Are we doing this?!

My part of “we” is champing at the bit, Eric. The RazoRock Hawk V3OC that’s taken me through most of Summer is still going strong. Might break out my Schick E3 as I think I’ve figured it out.

How about you? You’ve got at least one Injector.

My part of “we” is champing at the bit, Eric. The RazoRock Hawk V3OC that’s taken me through most of Summer is still going strong. Might break out my Schick E3 as I think I’ve figured it out.

How about you? You’ve got at least one Injector.
my SEs out number my DEs! I believe I have 5 Schick injectors (Types E, G, I x2, and M) and the new Asylum injector blade razor.
There is one AC razor, and 4 GEM format razors. I think I am all set! I am holding off any SE shaves for SEptember now, and getting the DE shaves out of my system!

thombrogan

What is November and mild DEs?

August was Mild/Mid Efficiency razors last year and also this year for folks taking a respite from High Efficiency razors. Then SEptember and OCtober with only a Micromatic Open Comb, El Fantasma slant, and Gillette Old Type as mild razors for that month.

November is a razor Festivus for me. Will the brass Overlander and other “mild” razors get their due? Mebbe.

Top Bottom