What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Mail call today and three Gem razors added to my pile. From left to right:
Micromatic Clog Pruf with NRA logo on the box,
Contour II,
Gold Push Button.

20200424_114948.jpg

That's National Recovery Administration by the way.
250px-NRA_member,_we_do_our_part.jpg

The General is in the house.

Last year with a den that was growing I decided to slim it down and I sold my version 1 general. After it was on the way to a new den I missed having that razor in the den. Good news Version 2 of the General arrived last week and I gave it a spin this morning. The Colonial General allows you to purchase just the cap and base which was my disappointment with the Vector in that you had to purchase the complete Vector razor. I enjoyed the Vector and it provided a great shave but I did not like the handle and I was not willing to invest in an additional handle after spending almost $200.00 on the Vector.

Blade: Schick Proline 30
Brush: Simpson Chubby2
Cream:Truefitt & Hill
Handle: Tibam Bobcat

The Colonial General v1 was an excellent shaver but v2 is better. It is lighter with a narrower head, somewhere between the Vector and the ATT SE1. Loading the blade is straight forward and the blade is aligned perfectly when dropped on the 2 blade posts. Removing the blade is easier than removing the blade from the Vector which I always found to be challenging because of the small head and tight tolerances of the Vector head. The Vector felt almost dainty to me while the ATT SE1 is on the bulkier heavier side. The General provides the same maneuverability as the Vector and the same intuitive angle as the Vector and ATT whether you are shaving ATG, XTG, or WTG. While I can get a BBS with several DE razors the General like the ATT SE1 and the Vector I can get a closer shave on my jawline and neck. The General is also great for head shaving. With the handle of your choice, the General is a very smooth comfortable very efficient shaver. The General, ATT, and Vector are all excellent shavers. I like that the General and the ATT give you the option to just purchase the just the head and add the handle of your choice. The General comes in a matte/satin finish so this weekend I will probably polish the General.

IMG_0243.jpg

Just added this well used Micromatic open comb to my Gem pile. I believe it is a very early model due to the lack of bumps in the blade area. As you can see it has lots of brassing and character. It feels slightly heavier than my chrome MMOC.
20200428_123448.jpg

Just purchased this. Is it a G4? I believe this blue handle/gold version is rarer than the blue handle/matted chrome version. Any feedback on that?

View attachment 1093291
If go by Appleby's designations no. Though it will get misidentified as a G4 when it technically should be it's own desigination. The G4 refers to a specific set called a Schick 66 and one of the reasons it was so cheap compared to a standard set like the one you have there was the razor head was plated in chrome to bring down the cost. All gold plated razor head Type G razors were always either in the more expensive standard set or the more expensive than the standard special Christmas sets with the gold plated razor heads and handles for Type G razors.

If you do by the dummies guide then it is much easier to classify.
It is a 3rd variant, style 4. Any razor that is grouped in a variant is identical shave wise.

Top Bottom