What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Previously posted this in the wrong place.

Just bought this Ever Ready on eBay for £6 in what looks like a Bakelite box. I’m new to vintage razors.
Please can someone tell me about it. Likely date, metal type, best restoration/cleaning techniques, is £6 a fair price, where to buy the correct new blades.

Attachments

• B411E23B-8B13-497F-8503-A981DF0C0FAC.png
    B411E23B-8B13-497F-8503-A981DF0C0FAC.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Just bought this Ever Ready on eBay for £6 in what looks like a Bakelite box. I’m new to vintage razors.
Please can someone tell me about it. Likely date, metal type, best restoration/cleaning techniques, is £6 a fair price, where to buy the correct new blades.

It should be an Ever Ready 1912 improved safety razor. Made between 1936 - 1953. They never called these razors a 1912 that is a collectors thing to identify them. the 1912 is based upon a known patent date for the razor. If it is an earlier version like the 1914 or 1912, there is no way to tell from that picture. I'd need to see the top of the cap and blade stops on the guard to determine if it is either.

To rule out if it is a 1914 the cap will say lift here on the sides. If it doesn't say that it isn't a 1914.

To rule out that is a 1912 then you need to look at the blade stops on the guard. If they are like little nubs the blades rests against it is a 1912, if they are like hooks that the blade end slides under it is an improved 1912.

£6 is perfectly fair, visit Micromatic Monday thread for Ever-Ready, Gem, etc companionship. Plated brass, clean gently with detergent. Connaught is a good source for blades.

£6 is perfectly fair, visit Micromatic Monday thread for Ever-Ready, Gem, etc companionship. Plated brass, clean gently with detergent. Connaught is a good source for blades.
I would concur pretty much any vintage razor being bought to use is a fair price at $10 USD / 8 GBP or less as long as it is in good working condition.

It should be an Ever Ready 1912 improved safety razor. Made between 1936 - 1953. They never called these razors a 1912 that is a collectors thing to identify them. the 1912 is based upon a known patent date for the razor. If it is an earlier version like the 1914 or 1912, there is no way to tell from that picture. I'd need to see the top of the cap and blade stops on the guard to determine if it is either.

To rule out if it is a 1914 the cap will say lift here on the sides. If it doesn't say that it isn't a 1914.

To rule out that is a 1912 then you need to look at the blade stops on the guard. If they are like little nubs the blades rests against it is a 1912, if they are like hooks that the blade end slides under it is an improved 1912.
Thanks. Ill post some phots when it arrives.

Mail call! A few items came today:

A replacement Gem Parade for the one I broke,
A box for my Schick 66 compete with old shaving cream in a lead tube,
A Schick type E in fair shape with case.
20200511_125605.jpg

A Besser mustache razor which will take the same blades as my Mekur 907.
And finally the translucent amber handled Schick type G.
20200511_131104.jpg

Mail call! A few items came today:

A replacement Gem Parade for the one I broke,
A box for my Schick 66 compete with old shaving cream in a lead tube,
A Schick type E in fair shape with case.
View attachment 1098781

A Besser mustache razor which will take the same blades as my Mekur 907.
And finally the translucent amber handled Schick type G.
View attachment 1098783

big fan of the Baton handle!!!!!!

camo

Mon 18th May
Now Six Shaves in with The RazoRock Hawk V3-OC, HD handle.
Started off with a guarded blade now using a Schick Proline. Has a good degree of blade feel, and used with a light touch delivers a most satisfyingly close Shave. May be early Days, but better than a lot of other AC/SEs that I have used, I think the time has come to get rid of some.

IMG_0738.jpg

Top Bottom