What's new

Simpson Brushes - Best Values in their Brush Lineup

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I just hope that all you guys who buy Eagle G3s on my recommendation don't blame me when the tips are scratchy and prickly. I warned you a thousand times that they would be that way. Pure badger is clearly an acquired taste, and one that most never acquire.

Owen Bawn

I think the Special in Pure is an excellent brush. I use mine a lot. It is very small though.

I really want an Eagle 3 in Pure, but it just seems very expensive vs other Simpson brushes.
The Eagle G3 is almost as dense as a Chubby. That's why the cost is relatively high as pure badgers go. The knot is maybe 1mm wider than a Duke 3, but there's a lot more hair in an Eagle knot. Look at the price of Eagle 3's in Manchurian and you'll see a similar thing in terms of high price.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hot damn, My Berkeley just arrived!

Mine too! Awesome little brush, so much backbone!

Though BB, not much in common with Duke 2 Best.

Test lathered, no hair loss. Same handwriting on the back of the box, as the others. Finally think I'm done with the Simpson Acquisition Disorder! 🤣

Will say, when wet, these brushes had a little bit of funk. So left them to dry with WCS Chypre soap on them; that'll fix it.

AA

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

Test lathered, no hair loss. Same handwriting on the back of the box, as the others. Finally think I'm done with the Simpson Acquisition Disorder! 🤣

Will say, when wet, these brushes had a little bit of funk. So left them to dry with WCS Chypre soap on them; that'll fix it.

AA
I’m 5 shaves into my Chubby 2, and the funk is almost gone. Still not a single hair has been shed.

The Eagle G3 is almost as dense as a Chubby. That's why the cost is relatively high as pure badgers go. The knot is maybe 1mm wider than a Duke 3, but there's a lot more hair in an Eagle knot. Look at the price of Eagle 3's in Manchurian and you'll see a similar thing in terms of high price.

Thanks Owen. Great insight as usual.

Would you recommend an Eagle over a M7 or Duke 3 in Manchurian or Super?

I ask as I will be buying one “high end” Simpson in Feb and leaning towards the M7 in Manchurian.

I don’t mind some scrub and I face/bowl lather so I like a bit of splay.

Owen Bawn

Thanks Owen. Great insight as usual.

Would you recommend an Eagle over a M7 or Duke 3 in Manchurian or Super?

I ask as I will be buying one “high end” Simpson in Feb and leaning towards the M7 in Manchurian.

I don’t mind some scrub and I face/bowl lather so I like a bit of splay.
They don't offer the Duke 3 in Super. Simpsons announced that prices will soon be rising, so I'd go for a Manchurian, 2 band, or a high priced Super. The Eagle G3 in super is excellent, and the Duke 3 in Manchurian is sublime. But the M7 in Manchurian is a match made in heaven. If you like them in trad faux ivory they've got some of them at a significantly reduced price, but they won't last. That's the one I'd buy if I were looking. The Eagle G3 in Pure is a great brush, but it doesn't feel like a luxury item per se.

They don't offer the Duke 3 in Super. Simpsons announced that prices will soon be rising, so I'd go for a Manchurian, 2 band, or a high priced Super. The Eagle G3 in super is excellent, and the Duke 3 in Manchurian is sublime. But the M7 in Manchurian is a match made in heaven. If you like them in trad faux ivory they've got some of them at a significantly reduced price, but they won't last. That's the one I'd buy if I were looking. The Eagle G3 in Pure is a great brush, but it doesn't feel like a luxury item per se.
Thanks. The ivory M7 in Manchurian is likely what I will get.

Do you have a two band Silvertip Duke 3? That looks intriguing but substantially more than the M7 in Manchurian.

Owen Bawn

Thanks. The ivory M7 in Manchurian is likely what I will get.

Do you have a two band Silvertip Duke 3? That looks intriguing but substantially more than the M7 in Manchurian.
As a matter of fact...
Duke 2band.jpeg

Owen Bawn

The Duke 3 SiLVERTiPs are the sweetest brushes I have ever used, hands down. I wouldn't give up either of them.

The thing is that Simpsons used to have much better sale prices in past years. This year's Black Friday offers were really rather disappointing (which saved my GRUME). Looking back I see that in past years I bought Manchurian M7s for less than $150 and Duke 3 two bands for just a little more.

Wanna cry? I just looked this up... In 2016 I bought an M7 Manchurian in ivory for £129.95. That's BEFORE removing the VAT, which brought it down below 100 quid. I think it converted at that time to about $130 USD, total, including postage.

Last edited:

AA
Yeah, this Simpson is actually tied with an Omega boar as the funkiest smelling brush I've owned out of the box. Though I've never been particularly bothered by it.

I did a couple test lathers. I'm on my way home now for the inaugural shave.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah, this Simpson is actually tied with an Omega boar as the funkiest smelling brush I've owned out of the box. Though I've never been particularly bothered by it.

I did a couple test lathers. I'm on my way home now for the inaugural shave.
Mine only bore funk when wet... Doing the old trick now: simply let soap dry on it overnight.

Now can have a daily Simpson rotation, and let each dry 48 hours before re-use.

AA

Mine only bore funk when wet... Doing the old trick now: simply let soap dry on it overnight.

Now can have a daily Simpson rotation, and let each dry 48 hours before re-use.

AA
Just use a blow-drier and you can use it an hour later if you want to. That's what I do.

The Duke 3 SiLVERTiPs are the sweetest brushes I have ever used, hands down. I wouldn't give up either of them.

The thing is that Simpsons used to have much better sale prices in past years. This year's Black Friday offers were really rather disappointing (which saved my GRUME). Looking back I see that in past years I bought Manchurian M7s for less than $150 and Duke 3 two bands for just a little more.

Wanna cry? I just looked this up... In 2016 I bought an M7 Manchurian in ivory for £129.95. That's BEFORE removing the VAT, which brought it down below 100 quid. I think it converted at that time to about $130 USD, total, including postage.
That’s crazy.

See? You aren’t spending money, you are making it if you ever decide to sell a brush! LOL

I wonder what the price hike will be.

In any case, I like the Duke 3 Silvertip but that £179 Manchurian M7 is calling me hard. I promised the wife that there will be no shaving purchases until Feb as she is holding me to Jan GRUME. If it is gone when I buy, I will likely just buy the M7 Manchurian in a goofy colour.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That’s crazy.

See? You aren’t spending money, you are making it if you ever decide to sell a brush! LOL

I wonder what the price hike will be.

In any case, I like the Duke 3 Silvertip but that £179 Manchurian M7 is calling me hard. I promised the wife that there will be no shaving purchases until Feb as she is holding me to Jan GRUME. If it is gone when I buy, I will likely just buy the M7 Manchurian in a goofy colour.

Think I saw an emerald green one that was amazing...

😯 Oh no! I was looking at the Simpson (regular price) site!

Knew this would happen! 🤣

AA

Think I saw an emerald green one that was amazing...

😯 Oh no! I was looking at the Simpson (regular price) site!

Knew this would happen! 🤣

AA
They are awful as well. You buy something and they don’t even tell you it shipped and magically is arrives a few weeks later.

Top Bottom