What's new

Simpson Brushes - Best Values in their Brush Lineup

Hey all,

I have gone a bit nuts lately buying Simpson brushes but have also done quite a bit of research and found something interesting (to me at least)... Simpson brush pricing is all over the map. I.e. Not all 20mm knot, 50 loft, 50mm handle brushes in Super cost the same and sometimes there are substantial differences in price.

So, I am curious as to to what you believe are the best “values” in the Simpson brush lineup. Not cheap, but well priced vs. other Simpson brushes of similar spec. Yes, Imam aware that you do pay for added knot density.

IMO, the best values are...

M7 (best/super) - This is a substantial brush that is well priced IMO. Just over $100US in best for a 22mm diameter with a loft of 50mm in a 110mm (overall). My new favorite for face and bowl lathering. The M7 Manchurian is well priced vs. the Eagle and Rover as an example.

Colonel X2L (best) - Excellent brush for under $50. 98mm total with a nice 53mm handle and 21mm/45mm knot. The Harvard H4 in best is almost 3x the cost for the same basic spec.

Commodore X3 (best) - Another excellent and inexpensive Simpson ($60 in best). 97mm total with a 51mm handle and 24mm/46mm knot. Could be called a Colonel X3L as it is a similar brush. Bigger knot than the H4 at 1/2 the price.

Trafalgar Synthetics (T1/2/3) - The bristles may be too soft for some, but the whole range is under $30 each which is crazy cheap for a Simpson brush. Nice travel brushes that dry quick and have fairly good backbone. The T3 is too big for me but the T1/2 get used by me often. As good if not better than APShave, Yaqi, etc.

Ok, thanks for getting thru my ramblings. 😜 What do you think are Simpson’s best value brushes in their lineup and why?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The cost is based on the type and weight of the hair along with the cost to produce the handle I believe. The Major is relatively expensive due in most part to the cost to manufacture the complex handle. I would say the best value is the Duke 3 in Best. Simpson Best grade, although variable, is fantastic value for money, and the Duke 3 is the perfect size and shape to act as an all rounder for both bowl and face lathering, with hard or soft soaps or creams. At a pinch it is the only Simpson brush that could replace all the others and that is why for me it is the best value. I am lucky to have a Duke 3 Manchurian and if I had to pick one brush from my Simpson collection the Duke 3 would be the one.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have only a few Simpson's left. Both a M6 and a Tulip 3 in Manchurian, a Polo 8 in the old 2-band super and a vintage Rover in Pure; I think the pure in this Rover is better than any of their best grade (had a few and sold them all). Best is hit and miss.
Also have an early CH2 synthetic, but use my synthetics very little, maybe twice a year. The badger I have are all keepers, though.

If you go for a new Simpson, I would recommend to get the Manchurian or if possible the two band silvertip.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The three Simpsons Best (!) I've gotten since this sale hit have all been scritch-free non-shedders.

I've disliked a good badger that was gifted to me in "pure" since it is a scritcher. Shame, it was $$.

The Simpsons Best have all felt great, and really got me away from synthetics ... for a while!

AA

@Rudy Vey and others, how different is the 2 band silver tip from the regular 3 band? I rather like the 3 band brushes as they feel super soft and cloudy luxurious without the least bit of flop. Is the 2 band silver tip worth the extra premium in price?

@Rudy Vey and others, how different is the 2 band silver tip from the regular 3 band? I rather like the 3 band brushes as they feel super soft and cloudy luxurious without the least bit of flop. Is the 2 band silver tip worth the extra premium in price?

After buying 25 brushes in 11 years (I refuse to calculate the cost), I have to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". There is no perfect brush. A lot depends on technique, brush size, water hardness, soap vs cream, lather preference, etc. While I love my (2) 2-band Thaters with hard soaps, I'm not really fond of my Thater 3-band unless I'm using a soft soap or occasional cream. Last summer, I had Rudy remove a Rooney 3-band knot, in a brush I seldom used, and install a Shavemac 2-band in the Rooney handle. That brush is now one of my favorites. On the other hand, I still have 3-band brushes that I like, and use, as well as a couple 3-band brushes that I PIF'd to friends or relatives years back and still miss.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
To each his own, some like the soft clouds and others like more backbone, scrub or such.
I think the two-band Super from the old days is very similar to Shavemac's two-band silvertip of today, and not so much as the Manchurian; the hair stems are a little thinner in the two-band super compared to Manchurian. Gives for me the perfect mix of backbone and softness. I had once a three band super Ch3, but I did not care for it. The hair was very densely packed as it is so thin, and the flow through was not good - but this is just my personal opinion. I am glad that we all have different preferences for our favorite brushes.

I have only a few Simpson's left. Both a M6 and a Tulip 3 in Manchurian, a Polo 8 in the old 2-band super and a vintage Rover in Pure; I think the pure in this Rover is better than any of their best grade (had a few and sold them all). Best is hit and miss.
Also have an early CH2 synthetic, but use my synthetics very little, maybe twice a year. The badger I have are all keepers, though.

If you go for a new Simpson, I would recommend to get the Manchurian or if possible the two band silvertip.

I agree with Rudy. 2 Band can’t miss with Simpson (I like Manchurian too, but the 2 band is objectively better better for most uses even if Manchurian is still great). However, the best when it may not a bad lot is great.

Yeah, you can luck out and get a batch that is virtually super (and Super is perfect in a chubby FYI, the density makes the floppy super have backbone and provides a unique luxurious wall of badger). But I just mean middle is the road best—it’s quite a nice value.

However, I think Shavemac 2 band is by far a better value than anything Simpsons sells. For 100 bucks or so you can get an M7 clone from Shavemac in 2 band that’s outstanding and way better than a Simpson’s best. To beat that brush in Simpson is going to be 225 or more. Do I still love the Simpson: yes. However, I recognize paid a pretty large premium for it.

With that said, Shavemac’s hair is clearly treated, whereas from what it looks like Simpson hair is not. I could be proven wrong about that, I am not a badger hair forensic expert, so someone correct me if needed. But from what I can tell, the Simpson hair is more of a pure old school experience. Thus the premium being worth it once you’re ready to add that variety to your arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I face lather:

Best "high end" deal: Chubby 1 Best
Best "Affordable" deal: Berkeley or Case Best
Best "If only you were around when they did it": 2 band Grosvenor and Eagle G3 Best.

There is an eagle 3 right now in super that I bet is pretty outstanding base on how much I like my eagle in 2 band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats the cost on it? The Eagle 3 in best was great because it was ~$100 when they did it... so it cost less than a Chubby 1 Best, and was almost certainly using the same knot, and in my opinion a superior handle. I've always preferred simpson Best to their Super, but a Two band eagle would be very interesting at the right price.

Top Bottom