What's new

Simpson Brushes - Best Values in their Brush Lineup

I am lucky to have five Simpsons brushes ---- Colonel X2L, Special Best, Berkeley 46 Best, Duke 2 Best,
and Trafalgar T2 Synthetic. I consider them all to be magnificent brushes, and each one, with its own
particular merits, would be a terrific "only" brush. But I would consider my beloved Colonel X2L to be
the most sublime overall value. It seems to get everything right, shave after shave, for the past four
and a half years, whether face or bowl lathered, whether with soaps or creams. A salute to the Colonel !

F5161DC6-54E1-48C5-8FFB-11316DD513B8.jpeg
E0CE236D-AC3F-4010-8695-CDCCB470B3E6.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I really enjoy my Berkeley,
and am curious how I'll like the slightly larger knot of the X2.
(19 vs 21)

I can tell you the difference between Duke X2 21mm and Commodore X3 24mm is considerable! You can really notice once they're splayed/broken in by looking from above.

Ironically, I have the smaller Berk coming today. We were all pouncing on the sale of these luxury brushes. Utterly content with the BB knots, regardless of size.

AA

I really enjoy my Berkeley,
and am curious how I'll like the slightly larger knot of the X2.
(19 vs 21)

Well, I have a Berkeley and love it. It’s very scrubby, makes lather crazy fast, and has a nice small area of coverage for face-lathering.

The Commodore is larger, softer, and more comfy at the expense of some precision and lathering speed.

2 similar looking but way different brushes!

Well, I have a Berkeley and love it. It’s very scrubby, makes lather crazy fast, and has a nice small area of coverage for face-lathering.

Yep! I'm amazed how well it bowl-lathers. And since I keep a short beard/moustache - I appreciate its precision.
and I really like "scrubby"... really don't have too much preference between BB's and well-made, shorter loft boars.

The Commodore is larger, softer, and more comfy at the expense of some precision and lathering speed.

2 similar looking but way different brushes!

Sounds interesting. and glad I didn't just duplicate the properties of the Berk.
Variety is the spice of life.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Value isn't static; it is a combination of cost and personal preference. To my mind the best value in Simpsons are the M7s in Best and Super when WCS puts them on sale a few times each year. That said, it's tough to argue with a Chubby 1 Super on offer at Amazon right now, and as far as I know the Chubby 3 Best was ridiculously low priced there recently. But while the Chubby 3 Best might have the most money whacked off the 'sticker price' in terms of either sheer dollars or percentage between the original and sale prices, that doesn't reflect value to me because I have little interest in a Chubby 3. To the next man a Chubby 3 at $140 might be the greatest value ever, and I wouldn't argue with him. But I wouldn't buy one, either.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I ordered the cheapest brush in the Simpson stable a Special S1 in Pure and I’m really curious how it will fare against my Eagle G3 Pure and Captain 2 Best.
The Eagle G3 in Pure has perfect density and flow. The knot moves on the face so nicely. The Pure grade has ideal backbone for face lathering, especially at the loft at which the G3 is set. It would be the perfect shaving brush, if only those tips were softer...

And for most men those tips are an absolute deal killer.

The Eagle G3 in Pure has perfect density and flow. The knot moves on the face so nicely. The Pure grade has ideal backbone for face lathering, especially at the loft at which the G3 is set. It would be the perfect shaving brush, if only those tips were softer...

And for most men those tips are an absolute deal killer.
I have yet to master face lathering. What I definitely don’t like is rubbing a shavestick onto my face. Didn’t like the feel at all and couldn’t build a decent lather either. Next try on face lathering will be with a fully loaded G3, promised!

I have yet to master face lathering. What I definitely don’t like is rubbing a shavestick onto my face. Didn’t like the feel at all and couldn’t build a decent lather either. Next try on face lathering will be with a fully loaded G3, promised!

I used to feel the exact same way so don't feel bad. Now, all I do is face-lather using shave sticks! The trick is to wet your face thoroughly, and then apply the shave stick in slow deliberate circles not using any pressure. A thin film is all you need, not a santa beard. I also find wetting the shave stick just makes things worse. It tends to get gummy and drag while applying it. I apply a bone dry stick every time and it works like a charm. Then make sure your brush is soaked with water. Don't squeeze it out, just shake it a couple times, make sure it's heavy with water where you can feel the weight in your hand. Go slowly and gently on the face until you have 3 passes of lather!

I used to feel the exact same way so don't feel bad. Now, all I do is face-lather using shave sticks! The trick is to wet your face thoroughly, and then apply the shave stick in slow deliberate circles not using any pressure. A thin film is all you need, not a santa beard. I also find wetting the shave stick just makes things worse. It tends to get gummy and drag while applying it. I apply a bone dry stick every time and it works like a charm. Then make sure your brush is soaked with water. Don't squeeze it out, just shake it a couple times, make sure it's heavy with water where you can feel the weight in your hand. Go slowly and gently on the face until you have 3 passes of lather!
Hah I tried to bloom it like every other hard soap by putting the first half inch into warm water and then rub quite hard against the grain to get as much soap as possible :mad2:

I ordered the cheapest brush in the Simpson stable a Special S1 in Pure and I’m really curious how it will fare against my Eagle G3 Pure and Captain 2 Best.
I think the Special in Pure is an excellent brush. I use mine a lot. It is very small though.

I really want an Eagle 3 in Pure, but it just seems very expensive vs other Simpson brushes.

Top Bottom