What's new

Show Your Custom Shavemac!

brucered

System Generated
my initial thoughts on the D-01:

it's a great brush. lots of backbone, soft, with just a touch of scritch/scratch or scrub, whatever you want to call it, but opens up nicely for a great face lathing brush. it's a FAN so the coverage was very nice. lost 1-2 hairs by my finding, but nothing to worry about. cleaned it, rinses it, towel lathered it and no more loose hairs.

for me, it's like a cross between my Rooney Coral "old stock", Duke 3 and M&F 2 band. it's got the ergonomic handle, great face lathering, dense and an ever so slight scritch (if that' the correct word). the rooney was ultra soft, no prickle at all and had a sweet handle. the Duke 3 was the size and denisity i wanted, but too much scritch and didn't open up enough. the M&F is a dense knot, soft with a bit more scritch and doesn't up up too much. the handle was very ergonomic and great for face lathering. the curvature on the lower half was more comfortable then the Duke 3 and my Rooney PL1, it fit my hands near perfect and was comfortable right from the get go, no messing around with where to put my fingers etc.

this brush has it all going for it, again, this is after 1 use so my thoughts may change, but a few have asked so i am putting them down in writing.

considering it was custom made to my specs, from handle material, engraving, knot size etc, the price paid ($160 shipped) was a steal. i'm confident this will be a well used brush in my collection, as are all my other brushes. my current 8 badger brushes in my starting lineup all get used regularly and i have one more on the way, a Tulip T2 (2 band) that will hopefully get slotted in as well.

Last edited:
That really is beautiful. I love the handle shape and color. Looks like it will fit into your colleciton quite nicely. (I'm jealous :glare: ).

Ben

Thanks, no it's not an option at Shavemac or a restore. I purchased the knot from them and turned the handle. I like the old school stuff.

Last edited:

brucered

System Generated
Bruce, did you just email Bernd for that handle material?

YUP. an email and a pic of the material with description (blue swirl, not 1/2 and 1/2)

he called it "material 811, Smokey Blue"

and yes, i'm still loving it as much as my initial post. it's an amazing knot/brush.

YUP. an email and a pic of the material with description (blue swirl, not 1/2 and 1/2)

he called it "material 811, Smokey Blue"

and yes, i'm still loving it as much as my initial post. it's an amazing knot/brush.

Thanks Bruce, an email is in order then.

Does anyone know of other "off the menu" handle options? This is the first I have seen and I love it.

brucered

System Generated
Thanks Bruce, an email is in order then.

Does anyone know of other "off the menu" handle options? This is the first I have seen and I love it.

only other one i know, and i almost purchased before deciding on mine, is an eagle-type called ATOMIC

$atomic.jpg

I don't know if this belongs in this thread - and it's premature too - but Rudy Vey is in the process of making me a custom Chubby-style brush using - are you ready? - a 35mm Shavemac D01 2-band knot with 58 - 60mm of loft. I hope to have the brush in the next week.

I don't know if this belongs in this thread - and it's premature too - but Rudy Vey is in the process of making me a custom Chubby-style brush using - are you ready? - a 35mm Shavemac D01 2-band knot with 58 - 60mm of loft. I hope to have the brush in the next week.

Your big brush madness knows no bounds, does it?

the new custom shavemac just arrived.
about 10 days from order date.
exactly as ordered. item 227 xxl silvertip, but with 28mm knot
i had the big kent already and wanted something slightly smaller.
the brass bottom on the handle adds some nice heft, weight is 176g vs 114g for the kent.
nicely shaped.
here is a pic, couple more in my gallery.
looking forward to using.

$brushcomp.jpg

Ok, ok, I will have to think on that. Any other acrylics that don't come up on the experts select?

You can select any handle on his site from the non custom brushes and then get a quote from him to use the handle you like with the brush you want. For example, if you like one of the wooden noble handles, you can get a quote for the handle with your choice of hair. When you order, he just has you put the handle and/or color in the comments section on the expert page based on my emails with Bernd.

Top Bottom