What's new

Show us your Tartan

I have no Scottish blood, but there are a lot of Scots in my family. Mostly Atkinsons who originally hail from Clan Gordon of Huntly.

Ancient Gordon Tartan:
proxy.php

Also, when I was a kid, I was in the Seaforth Highlander cadets just long enough to get measured for a kilt before family circumstances forced me out.

Ancient Mackenzie is the Seaforth Regimental Tartan:
proxy.php

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is a pretty deep rabbit hole.
Modern
Montgomery mod BAT 16.jpg

Hunting
Montgomery_Blue-Green_Modern_Strome_Tartan_Org.jpg

Ancient
montgomery anc Loch 16 OR.jpg

Clan crest
images.jpg

So, with these additions I had to get a few varieties of belt, buckles, hose, sporrans and other accessories so I can daily wear.
An exciting time for me.

Last edited:
Just took a quick picture of my kilt! Mitchell clan (not a clan in itself but a sept of the Innes and MacMichael clans), the tartan is an Ancient Galbraith/Russell/Mitchell (a bit of an oddity as there is nothing that really ties those three names together).

tartan.jpg

Apparently, if you go back, I am MacLeod, which has two tartans. But it was several generations ago, so I don’t own a kilt and so on.

View attachment 1317430
One of my dearest friends (sadly deceased these 14 years) was Rod MacLeod who was born and raised on the Isle of Lewis. I remember the hunting tartan in his apartment, but never saw the other. He was a professor of Virology and Immunology at a large university in the town where I worked. He would have found a great deal of excitement studying Covid. No Scottish ancestry in my clan, lots of northern and central European.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When I was a kid I was friends with the MacGillivray brothers, whose parents were Gaelic speakers from the northwest coast of Cape Breton Island. It seemed as though everyone they knew was either named Aengus or Archie, and they were all surnamed either Rankin or Beaton. They added adjectives to tell all the Archies and Aenguses apart. There was Donald Aengus, Aengus Ruadh, Aengus Mór, Archie Dubh, Aengus an mall, Red Archie, Archie Aengus, Randall Archie, and Archie Dan.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
More or less Clan Hay:

1630353154647.png

This is the modern. There are also "ancient," "dress," and "hunting" setts. With all that red, Hay is kind of like the famous "Loud MacLeod" tartan is with yellow. :)

I have four kilts, only one of which is tartan it's this one:

1630353296495.png

This is Maple Leaf, the offical Canadian national tartan. There are also registered tartans for all the provinces and territories. I bought myself this kilt to celebrate my Canadian citizenship. As a tartan it's a bit of an odd duck because it's asymmetrical so pleating gets interesting particularly when pleating to the sett.

If I were to go for another tartan kilt, I think rather than Hay I'd go for this one:

1630353922913.png

I've been fascinated with Antarctica and the Heroic Age explorers for a lot of my life, and this is the Antarctic tartan. As a restricted tartan I would have to apply for permission from the Antarctic Trust.

One more -- the tartan that made me laugh out loud:

1630354080280.png

This is the UPS tartan. First, seriously? Second, it's brown. Also a restricted tartan. But amusing.

O.H.

Top Bottom