What's new

Show us your matching pairs

Here's a set that shaves well; wedge and hollow (Solingen).

PXL_20230407_152310149.jpg

What @Eastcoast30 said, the term is often used to advise new SR users to seek less than cosmetically perfect razors for daily use or to save some money. I have many of them. If there are alternate terms I haven’t heard of them, I think.

Curiously, almost none of the sets of pairs or 7-day sets were made that way, I believe. The razors were of course made individually and someone put them in a box. Possibly the manufacturer if there was demand, but far more likely a wholesaler or dealer. There used to be a profession, and probably still is, called a ‘box maker’ - they made jewelry chests, flatware boxes, razor cases, whatever. Theobald Pellets (the Joseph Rodgers chopper pair) was such a person. A dealer or wholesaler commissioned the razors and the boxes, and then put the razors in the box. Often, the boxes had the name of the dealer, not the razor manufacturer.

The only exceptions that I think that I have are the two Touron-Parisot sets, the orihi kamisori, and the Wostys with the fancy spines because the razor branding matches the box branding. Both sets of Touron-Parisots have Touron’s Paris address stamped on the box. I also have a French pair in a box that the branding matches one of the two razors but have never seen another razor of this brand. The other possible set if the Le Grelot Lotus in the green box, though less certain. This set came from Rasoir Sabre (I think) many years ago, probably about 15, but it’s quite possible that Rasoir Sabre boxed them as there’s no name on the box.

Here are some others that I have.

Coral by Takagi Riki company, of which little is known. Very well made razors with a unique pattern/gold wash.
Henckels Friodur 14
Vintage Dovo Bergischer-Lowe, actually a heavier grind shorty, unlike the modern version
Tanifuji BaBa

View attachment 1634068View attachment 1634069View attachment 1634070View attachment 1634071View attachment 1634072
Thanks for more info

you have beautiful razors and such a selection

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Thanks for more info

you have beautiful razors and such a selection

Thank you sir, you are very kind.

Here is a list of box makers, you can tell by the length of it that there were a lot of them.

Most of us are familiar with the English brand Lund, but the father and son were also box makers. Here’s a nice piece on them.

I love the old boxes, and it is so difficult to find them in good shape.

What @Eastcoast30 said, the term is often used to advise new SR users to seek less than cosmetically perfect razors for daily use or to save some money. I have many of them. If there are alternate terms I haven’t heard of them, I think.

Curiously, almost none of the sets of pairs or 7-day sets were made that way, I believe. The razors were of course made individually and someone put them in a box. Possibly the manufacturer if there was demand, but far more likely a wholesaler or dealer. There used to be a profession, and probably still is, called a ‘box maker’ - they made jewelry chests, flatware boxes, razor cases, whatever. Theobald Pellets (the Joseph Rodgers chopper pair) was such a person. A dealer or wholesaler commissioned the razors and the boxes, and then put the razors in the box. Often, the boxes had the name of the dealer, not the razor manufacturer.

The only exceptions that I think that I have are the two Touron-Parisot sets, the orihi kamisori, and the Wostys with the fancy spines because the razor branding matches the box branding. Both sets of Touron-Parisots have Touron’s Paris address stamped on the box. I also have a French pair in a box that the branding matches one of the two razors but have never seen another razor of this brand. The other possible set if the Le Grelot Lotus in the green box, though less certain. This set came from Rasoir Sabre (I think) many years ago, probably about 15, but it’s quite possible that Rasoir Sabre boxed them as there’s no name on the box.

Here are some others that I have.

Coral by Takagi Riki company, of which little is known. Very well made razors with a unique pattern/gold wash.
Henckels Friodur 14
Vintage Dovo Bergischer-Lowe, actually a heavier grind shorty, unlike the modern version
Tanifuji BaBa

View attachment 1634068View attachment 1634069View attachment 1634070View attachment 1634071View attachment 1634072

I have seen many 7 day sets
with the names of the days of the week engraved on the spines,
and many of those, engraved on a spot specially made to receive the engraving
or stamping as the case may be.

I have always thought of these as having been manufactured as 7 day sets,
which seems different from what you are saying.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have seen many 7 day sets
with the names of the days of the week engraved on the spines,
and many of those, engraved on a spot specially made to receive the engraving
or stamping as the case may be.

I have always thought of these as having been manufactured as 7 day sets,
which seems different from what you are saying.

You see the big German and English brands in sets like that during the heyday, and some Swedish brands too, but I think that sets that were ‘made’ at the dealer or wholesaler were equally as common if not more so.

I have seen it being used to describe some of the non-pristine examples of the more commonly collectible razors, specifically - the filarmonica 14’s. I was asked recently asked about 14’s by someone using this description and I find it irritating too.

A "user grade" shaves perfectly well, but is no beauty queen.

Thank you, guys. I can imagine there are other terms as well, I only knew "safe queen", which is basically the oppsite of "user grade".

These two 6/8 Stuart Dawson's in ivory were part of a 7 day set I spotted going cheap on ebay a few months back.

4 razors were missing completely, one was unsalvageable with a massive chip and crack (though the scales were good so I'll save them), and then these two. There is the 7 day box too, but it's designed for very thin ivory scales so not much else fits in there.

This first I've tidied up a bit and honed already, and very nice it is:

IMG-6638 (1).jpg

And then this one which I took some little chips out of the edge last night but still need to clean up properly and hone, which I might do this afternoon. These razors were probably 13/16 originally or maybe even 7/8, but they're both spot on 6/8 now.

I noticed something fun when I was removing the chips last night, in that by complete coincidence I will actually have a 'weekend pair'. This 7 day set do actually have the days written on the spines, like what @DrStrange and @Steve56 were talking about above. The cracked un-saveable one was Tuesday, rest of the working week is missing, but these two remaining are Saturday and Sunday. :)

IMG-6630 (1).jpg

IMG-6629 (1).jpg

Well, at least those who shaved and didn't use a knife, ax or farm implement. I, myself still occasionally shave with a sharp rock. Just for old times sake. :c2:

Haha, excellent!

Though that has reminded me of a strange internet rabbit hole I fell down a while back, which was reading up about the continued use of obsidian scalpels in modern surgery. Obsidian edges are apparently far more refined than than you could ever make steel, and so it's still used for some particularly delicate surgical operations that require very slick cuts and blemishless healing (like eyes n stuff)...

It's a double bladed razor or butterfly razor (Papillon in french). In this thread you have some info

That's very cool isn't it. :)

Cheers for the link - I'd not seen one of those before. (As it happens I did actually know what 'papillon' meant, but didn't make the connection with the wings until you pointed it out!)

UK Ebay special in today; a pair of matching 6/8 or 13/16 Kropps in quite a nice box and extremely good condition, near-mint and highly polished. I'd always assumed Kropp was a German brand, but these are all Sheffield made, though I understand they were sometimes ground in Hamburg as well...(?)

Took me a while to figure out what the scales were, but I think they're Gutta Percha.

IMG-7433.jpg

IMG-7435.jpg

IMG-7424.jpg

IMG-7425.jpg

IMG-7441.JPG

Top Bottom