What's new

Muhle Rocca - a true rocker!

I just ordered the R95 (birch bark handle) and matching synthetic knot brush from shaving.ie. The prices for Muhle in Ireland, England and Europe are much lower than in the States. With shipping, I'm all in at $174 and change. About $257 + tax in the US.
And it goes vice versa for some US & CAN razors when it comes to Europe, sadly. To keep it "Muhle" related thread, I eventually opted for Rocca as a piece of "stainless razor to outlive me" due to mentioned free shipping (normally would add ~10 eur) and I got a web-shop discount as partially regular member (-10%) so in total, my price for (at least) unique design, beautiful craftmenship, honeycomb patterned handle and razor that rarelly any look-alike, ended up 69 eur in total. That would be my close to top price to pay for any razor. I was very reluctant towards some "game changing" razors, as they started at 75+ euros without any available discounts and shipping costs, so I would end up paying close to 100$ for a razor very, very similar to some Chinese spin-offs. I didn't want to have "is it genuine or outsourced" moment in my head for 30$ overpaid.

Anyhow, now owning Muhle's triplet - R89, R94 and R41 I must say that I'm becoming Muhle fanboy :) Each one of them is a marvel on its own, and hereby focused R94 is definitelly a razor to take time with. Not because it's super aggressive or anything, but just as it is so well made, producing unique cutting sound effect and before you know it - the shave is over, now must wait for another day (or two). Still haven't found blade that doesn't perform well in Rocca or doesn't align properly. Only fallback so far noticed is that due to its weight and good grip, I tend to hold it more confidently and possibly too grippy for above-average aggressive (efficient) razor. R41 on other hand, being lighter does serve as recommendation to hold it lightly (if that makes sense) and not press razor to the face. Rocca, when held in hand feels so powerful that you swing it like a mace but in reality, shall be gently guided for remarkable results.

I believe you'll enjoy it, cheers!

PXL_20221018_133610032.jpg
I chose the Birch Bark Rocca and used it today...a great razor with a flexible shaving angle.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks for these comments, guys. I am very much looking forward to trying both the razor and the matching synth brush. Coming from Ireland to the American West. Hope it doesn't take too long! ;)
Can you post the shop in Ireland... or PM me... which eve seems more appropriate to you.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Thanks for these comments, guys. I am very much looking forward to trying both the razor and the matching synth brush. Coming from Ireland to the American West. Hope it doesn't take too long! ;)
I'm lucky enough to live in Ireland and when I buy from shaving.ie I tend to get my order the next day, even without express delivery the only variable is the USPS

Can you post the shop in Ireland... or PM me... which eve seems more appropriate to you.
@CCS posted the store in Ireland. I ordered my Muhle from a store in England:
Just giving you another option for more selection!
I just compared this one and the one in Ireland and the prices
seem to be about the same.

@CCS posted the store in Ireland. I ordered my Muhle from a store in England:
Just giving you another option for more selection!
I just compared this one and the one in Ireland and the prices
seem to be about the same.
I looked at their site. Price on the razor was just a bit higher but they didn't have the brush. Don't know how shipping compares between the two stores.

I looked at their site. Price on the razor was just a bit higher but they didn't have the brush. Don't know how shipping compares between the two stores.
I got free shipping buying the razor. I guess the free shipping though is extra slow service because I'm still waiting!:confused:

I got free shipping buying the razor. I guess the free shipping though is extra slow service because I'm still waiting!:confused:
I paid $87 for the razor including shipping and added the brush after. They gave me free shipping on the brush so it was also $87. They use some sort of "semi-tracking" with USPS. So I suspect I'll see the order maybe in February... ;) Seriously, I'm guessing 2-3 weeks.

I paid $87 for the razor including shipping and added the brush after. They gave me free shipping on the brush so it was also $87. They use some sort of "semi-tracking" with USPS. So I suspect I'll see the order maybe in February... ;) Seriously, I'm guessing 2-3 weeks.
Yep! Me too, semi tracked. Whatever that means!
I never even received a "semi" tracking number🤣
Tomorrow is day 10 of waiting for me!

Yep! Me too, semi tracked. Whatever that means!
I never even received a "semi" tracking number🤣
Tomorrow is day 10 of waiting for me!
When I ordered the Omega Jade brush from Connaught, it was 10-12 days before I got it. No tracking either!

Definitely cannot agree Rocca's R94 efficiency is on par or better than R41. I get much much closer shaves with R41.

As a regular close shaving R41 user, I concur. After all the R41 is the "Beast" by which others are judged.

Commenting that I am new to the Rocca, with only two prior shaves.

However... Yesterday, I did my 3rd shave with it and I have to say that it was an incredibly close, yet very comfortable shave. The results felt like I had shaved with the R41. So I am quite surprised by the quality of this shave. No way did I think that the Rocca could come close to the R41.

To continue with my surprise...

I have several blades out being checked for an 8-days worth of longetevity. I put dots on them and stick them on magnets. Other than that, I don't pay much particular attention to any individual blade, until I finish the shave and remove it from the razor.

In removing the blade, I was further surprised to discover that I had just shaved with a Super-Max Super Stainless, which cost me $10 for 200-blades, a nickel each!

This latest shave was #7 for the Super-Max. This translates to less than a penney a shave for this blade. It really did surprise me how excellent this shave was and comparing the Rocca shave to my usual R41. Always discovering something new, always learning.

Top Bottom