What's new

Muhle Rocca - a true rocker!

One interesting weekend observation, as I had 2 no-shaving days, since I use R94 my beard (when grown) feels more softer, compared to other razors.
i.e. Fatip OC which provides me approx. same efficiency and with propper care about same smoothness leaves hair somewhat roughly cut. After new growth I can feel by hand that top of the whiskers are sharp, pointy, rough on touch, like the cutting was done harshly 🤔
R89 provides smoothness, acceptable efficiency and is "blind-driver" when it comes to daily shaves, its aftermath are whiskers that grow into more softer beard, not so harsh when touched.
Now Rocca is whole new game for that comparisson. First, I def. need 1 day more to grow stubble 😲 after 15-20ish hours after shave I had no real need to shave again, so I skipped it and had Friday morning and Sunday evening shaves. It took a solid 2.5days to actually grow a bit to approx. 1mm that would be worth cutting, but more important - the whiskers tops had even nicer touch-feel than with R89. I add that to different cutting design, shape of the razor head, I can't really explain what and how but I confirm that shave is something different, no doubt. Muhle hit something with the cutting dynamics and it is noticeable. Must say I like the post shave feel but with this pace I'm afraid that R94 won't just heal any RAD cravings but will reduce my shave cadence as well.
In my defense, I'd say that I have normal beard nothing super-non-cuttable, but for first day it's like sandpaper, slow growing stubble, and after days 2 and 3 it ends up being almost thick as my hair (head). Now as years put some salt & pepper filtering on my beard I found it easily to cut gray hairs, although due to their brittleness they break more easily and all ingrows I face, are almost 99% gray ones.

Blades feedback:
1. Muhle blade, solid 4 shaves, just about average, no complains
2. Currently on Gillette Platinum, works great as well

One interesting weekend observation, as I had 2 no-shaving days, since I use R94 my beard (when grown) feels more softer, compared to other razors.
i.e. Fatip OC which provides me approx. same efficiency and with propper care about same smoothness leaves hair somewhat roughly cut. After new growth I can feel by hand that top of the whiskers are sharp, pointy, rough on touch, like the cutting was done harshly 🤔
R89 provides smoothness, acceptable efficiency and is "blind-driver" when it comes to daily shaves, its aftermath are whiskers that grow into more softer beard, not so harsh when touched.
Now Rocca is whole new game for that comparisson. First, I def. need 1 day more to grow stubble 😲 after 15-20ish hours after shave I had no real need to shave again, so I skipped it and had Friday morning and Sunday evening shaves. It took a solid 2.5days to actually grow a bit to approx. 1mm that would be worth cutting, but more important - the whiskers tops had even nicer touch-feel than with R89. I add that to different cutting design, shape of the razor head, I can't really explain what and how but I confirm that shave is something different, no doubt. Muhle hit something with the cutting dynamics and it is noticeable. Must say I like the post shave feel but with this pace I'm afraid that R94 won't just heal any RAD cravings but will reduce my shave cadence as well.
In my defense, I'd say that I have normal beard nothing super-non-cuttable, but for first day it's like sandpaper, slow growing stubble, and after days 2 and 3 it ends up being almost thick as my hair (head). Now as years put some salt & pepper filtering on my beard I found it easily to cut gray hairs, although due to their brittleness they break more easily and all ingrows I face, are almost 99% gray ones.

Blades feedback:
1. Muhle blade, solid 4 shaves, just about average, no complains
2. Currently on Gillette Platinum, works great as well

try a BIC blade when you get a chance

Well, I guess that I completed my circle fellow shavers :)
Rocca R94 arrived and I'll do my best to provide some objective feedback on it, but it's only my 2 cents.

R94 - Fit & Finish

This is my first and only stainless steel razor and I though that tolerances would be tighter (as for Henson AL13 i.e.) but probably, the SS is more challenging for CNC milling and I saw that there were some loose tolerances. Not in a bad way, but just didn't pushed-tightly as I expected. Enough space to place everything nicely, but when it's tighten - oh boy, does it fit altogether or what!? Not even on finger slide I couldn't feel any surface missaligned, everything was so smooth, handle was nicely grooved, honeycomb pattern is possibly most grippy of all, and once assembled - everything looked remarkable, like a piece of art:

View attachment 1490365

R94 - Good mid-range to fall between R89 and R41?

I'd say - WRONG! For past 3 years of using R89 and tightening my technique I've managed to get a near BBS with R89 on any beard length. From daily shaves to up to 9 days growth, within 2 passes, mostly WTG+XTG, rarely WTG+ATG, so I don't believe in myth "mild razor for daily use, aggressive razor for heavy beard..." it'll all do the work, nice and smoothly. What I liked at R89, and Muhle in general, is that their razors are almost jewelry-level of fit & finish. Period! Rocca is not different at all. Manufacturing perfection in every aspect, but most important - each razor is complete on its own, and unique on it's own. Hence - I'd avoid comparing Rocca to R41, R89 to R41... they are all made with specific purpose, to provide certain shave experience, it's not like "series of razors and Model1 is for daily shaves, Model2 for 4days growth" etc. Although heads looks similar, the razor hand held feel, shave experience, materials, geometry - are nothing to be compared or to be put at any range, simply - it's in its own league. I wouldn't say it is more aggressive than R89, neither that it's smoother... my shave experience was really unique. Up to point that I could compare it with Fatip OC in terms of efficiency, rather than with other razors from Muhle portfolio, that's what I mean by "its own league" and that's what I like about Muhle - no need for customization, no need for adjusting, each razor is simply marvel for itself.

If I must to put it somewhere - efficiency wise perhaps match to Fatip OC, R41, same or even better... smothness & comfort - R89, Henson AL13 could feel rough compared to Rocca per my own face feel.

View attachment 1490363

R94 - How does it shave?

Geometry wise, when compared with R89 it's easy to notice that dimensions are the same, but with less blade bending. From this angle, it's visible that Rocca will show only blade edge, while the R89 will have a bit of blade plate exposed as well, due to higher bending. Still - Rocca does have the same effect of "driving the blade away from the face", meaning - it does not dig into skin. It just glides over, and when given pressure it won't stumple into skin, moles, pimples, what you'd might think when presented with this look. Blade gap between blade and safety bar is bit higher but IMO haven't affect the shave, I didn't faced any more aggression because of it, however....

View attachment 1490362

... what wasn't so obvious and what I didn't heard in any topic on B&B covered so far, neither on YT reviews, is that it somehow has a positive blade exposure! While R89 has neutral, or even negative exposure (blade is tucked into the shave plane) the Rocca has visible exposure, more Fatip OC likewise, so I was extra-careful on this feature. I did my best to capture this on images, but it's more pronounced when looked from hand:

View attachment 1490364

Keeping this in mind, I went initially same as with R89 and haven't felt any tugging, no special angle adjustments, just plain smooth shave. When tilted bit more on the cap, it looked that shallow angle works better for some segments of my face, but in overall Rocca allowed me to use variety of angles without any negative feedback. I could say - pure perfection no matter how it's handled.

Neck area was story by itself! Oh my 😲!!! I think that this level of 1st pass WTG smothness and efficiency would be impossible to reach even with Fatip OC, at least for my growth directions and face contours, but, seriously - WOW!!! 1WTG and I was like - done, nothing left for a second pass, and no irritiation at all. Stunning!

Still, as left with lots of lather, I performed XTG on round 2, but rare whiskers cought here and there, pure recreational pass, no real shave, no nicks, no overshaving, almost like blade flew over the skin. If nothing is to be shaved then skin won't be irritated at all, like glass-gliding. My initial feedback was remarkably positive, I'd say - worth every penny.

Closed safety bar was so easy to rinse (used Cella Red) like it has standard lather channels. It is nicely designed, no clogging, no lather stopping, worked great without exceptions.

Overall shave grade: BBS, smooth incomparable with any other ZAMAC, Brass razor heads, simply - clamping of the blade was outstanding, gentle for the skin, waaaaaay more efficient than I'd expect for 1st shave with a new razor - felt like I used it for years, and what I feared most - it didn't felt like my other razors (you buy couple razors and they shave the same, feel the same...)
I received not just "better shave for better money" but whole new experience for a fraction of price.

R94 drawbacks

I guess that Rocca and Muhle in overall, goes bit unnoticed due to higher prices in USA, CAN, and some parts of Europe as well. For central & south regions some vendors do make it more affordable than Razorock Gamechanger, Edwin Jagger etc. so it does have less market share and all reviews I've read were not that promissing (unitl I was convinced in Muhle reputation with R89) so it took me a while to pull the trigger on this. Like I said, I like it as "complete razor" just as it is, simple, elegant, modern, unique... I never craved for RR as I couldn't match all the "liked" heads and handles without buying 4-5 razors :) but this was on first shave - ok, I'm done, I don't need anything else.
So no marketing, no (much available) positive feedback, pricey for worldwide distribution... feels bad for such outstanding razor. Surprisingly, on some web-shops in AUS people leaved a lot of great reviews which I based my decision on, so I'm not sure is it also some - mercant thing, availability, cost combination as Aussies liked Rocca more than US people? Anyhow, if you're lucky enough to find a nice offer at your place, don't skip it, this one was "stolen" by yours trully for 69 EUR shipped :) not bad for a SS razor?
Beautiful!!!

try a BIC blade when you get a chance
Got some tucks left but I save* them for R89 😁 Lovely blades, was quite happy with them in Fatip OC as well but so far no need to ramp-up Rocca. Just using open tucks as they go, but my #1 is PermaSharp followed by Astra Green. BIC were not so available at my place but bit pricey to order online compared with those two

I was on Muhle's website and saw the full stainless Rocca in black😍
Had same craving for it, and DLC coating seemed more promissing than Fatip's cheap paintjob, still one valuable lesson learned from Wilkinson Classic - lather stains on black surface... soooo pronounced 😬 so I went with full stainless, but not feeling sorry even the slightest bit. Razor is pure joy to use!

Had same craving for it, and DLC coating seemed more promissing than Fatip's cheap paintjob, still one valuable lesson learned from Wilkinson Classic - lather stains on black surface... soooo pronounced 😬 so I went with full stainless, but not feeling sorry even the slightest bit. Razor is pure joy to use!
I think your right!
The black is nice but the full stainless is a better choice for longevity.

Got some tucks left but I save* them for R89 😁 Lovely blades, was quite happy with them in Fatip OC as well but so far no need to ramp-up Rocca. Just using open tucks as they go, but my #1 is PermaSharp followed by Astra Green. BIC were not so available at my place but bit pricey to order online compared with those two

BICs are cheap mate, just stock up on them :) not so much to ramp up efficiency but these are surprisingly smooth. IMHO they are the best blade I have come across for the Rocca to date. Makes a smooth razor even smoother and you get the extra efficiency as a bonus

Definitely cannot agree Rocca's R94 efficiency is on par or better than R41. I get much much closer shaves with R41.
I don't. But the Rocca shaves efficient enough - and super smooth, btw.

Whilst I might need a few more strokes to end up with a similar level of closeness as with the R41, I wouldn't consider this to be a drawback with the Rocca. I love and enjoy the shaves with the Slurping Beauty!

Great review @couch_potato

I don't. But the Rocca shaves efficient enough - and super smooth, btw.

Whilst I might need a few more strokes to end up with a similar level of closeness as with the R41, I wouldn't consider this to be a drawback with the Rocca. I love and enjoy the shaves with the Slurping Beauty!

Great review @couch_potato
I would agree the Rocca is a smoother shave. Which version is your Rocca? Mine is the v4. There have been reports that it has reduced aggressiveness compared to the v1 and v2, which were MiM, not CNC.

I've been looking at the Rocca since @couch_potato started this thread like 3 months ago. I really wanted to try one out but couldn't justify another "semi" expensive razor purchase. I've acquired too many razors in the last few months!
For some reason I've bought a bunch of razors but have never bought anything from Muhle.
Well, I was able to buy a brand new R96 from a store in the UK at a great price!
Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives (probably in a couple of weeks since it ships from Europe).

full

I've been looking at the Rocca since @couch_potato started this thread like 3 months ago. I really wanted to try one out but couldn't justify another "semi" expensive razor purchase. I've acquired too many razors in the last few months!
For some reason I've bought a bunch of razors but have never bought anything from Muhle.
Well, I was able to buy a brand new R96 from a store in the UK at a great price!
Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives (probably in a couple of weeks since it ships from Europe).

full
nice one, hope you'll like it this one was my eye-on but I changed mind in last moment and went for R94 instead. Still, the sound it makes, the comfort and closeness are well worth the price

I just ordered the R95 (birch bark handle) and matching synthetic knot brush from shaving.ie. The prices for Muhle in Ireland, England and Europe are much lower than in the States. With shipping, I'm all in at $174 and change. About $257 + tax in the US.
Yes sir!
Much cheaper. I got the R96 for $75 from the UK. Sells here for about $112.
I'm still waiting though. I think Royal Mail in the UK is in the middle of a strike which is backing things up.

Top Bottom