What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

That may be the most beautiful karasu I have ever laid eyes on.

Thank you.
The first is mizu based. This one is same size but more yellow than grey.

fullsizeoutput_1f37.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1f38.jpeg

Otherwise, I have this cherished one from the Hoard (this thread is like an elegy (or an eulogy) about the famous Hoard!), it is a shobudani sunashi, so pure and super hard, like ozuku hard.
I often wonder: from which stratum this stone came? It is so a peculiar stone.. tenjyou? Hon? shiro?

sunashi1.jpg
sunashi2.jpg

Shiro is the last stratum of the Hon Kuch Naori and not every stone from shiro stratum is white. Shiro is also the name of one the 4 veins in the tenjyou stratum

It is just something I read, I am absolutely not an expert nor a geologist! But I wonder if a knoweldgeable person could guess what stratum a stone came from... particularly about suita!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
According to Takeshi at AFrames, subject to my memory, sunashi (suita without su) was a layer between the upper layers and the ‘floor’ or lower suita, and it is not always there in every mine/formation. All of them that I have that have a decent provenance are relatively hard which agrees with the lower strata description.

I have had a few from reputable sellers, including NOS stones. Sunashi suita do not always look like suita, many times they look like a tomae. No su, no suji, not white or pale color. Appearance can apparently be anything.

I’ll try to post some images later.

Tom
I like the looks of that crusty black kawa on the back of that iromono, does it sparkle in the sunlight?

Alex

Alex,

Yes it does sparkle in the sunlight. My guess on the stone was either the Narutaki or Nakayama mine from the colors and feel of the stone. The middle is interesting as it is Ikimurasaki with an Iromono Kan pattern. She seems really fast and super hard. Doesn't slurry easily and a drop of water sat for 2 hrs and still not absorbed.

Top Bottom