What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Hello there Raskolnikov
I hope things are well with you. About the stone below that you said came from the Hoard. Would you please include a photo or two of the sides of the stone and the saw marks on the sides and ends if there are any.

best to you,
Alx

Otherwise, I have this cherished one from the Hoard (this thread is like an elegy (or an eulogy) about the famous Hoard!), it is a shobudani sunashi, so pure and super hard, like ozuku hard.
I often wonder: from which stratum this stone came? It is so a peculiar stone.. tenjyou? Hon? shiro?

View attachment 1144906View attachment 1144907

Hello Alex,

I keep myself busy about honing and practising on beautiful jnats, so yes! Things are currently well! Thanks.
I took right now some pics of the side and end of my shobu sunashi

sunashiside1.jpg

sunashiside2.jpg

sunashiside3.jpg

Steve56 (thanks Steve for your answer)above-mentions infos (from Takeshi Aoki) about sunashi: there is a layer of sunashi. I used to think that sunashi was just suita without su, no matter what layer the stone came from. But I don't know very much about all of that, and sunashi are quite specific stones! even if sometimes we could see stone considered as sunashi (by the seller) because there is no su on the top despite some layer of su on the side.
By the way, a suita with no su on the top but some on the side is really a sunashi?

Steve56 (thanks Steve for your answer)above-mentions infos (from Takeshi Aoki) about sunashi: there is a layer of sunashi. I used to think that sunashi was just suita without su, no matter what layer the stone came from. But I don't know very much about all of that, and sunashi are quite specific stones! even if sometimes we could see stone considered as sunashi (by the seller) because there is no su on the top despite some layer of su on the side.
By the way, a suita with no su on the top but some on the side is really a sunashi?
巣 su meaning nest and 板 ita meaning board, sheet.
Most suita has very small gas pockets, leaving small "nests" behind.
A su-nashi 巣なし(なし meaning no/none) suita is a suita which's gas has completely escaped when it was "made", leaving no gas pockets behind, a top class suita.
Therefore inclusions like lines, 筋 (suji) is something else, 筋なし is applicable to most stones which have no suji. (Don't know if you were referring to that though)

There are a few I own at the moment. A Nakayama Kiita, Narutaki Iromono, Shohansan, Ozuku

Attachments

• 8D2C75AF-830D-4A7A-A86C-0E7FB236D8EE.jpeg
    8D2C75AF-830D-4A7A-A86C-0E7FB236D8EE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • DE84BB92-5DC2-4022-8D0D-1C665F5E2AD4.jpeg
    DE84BB92-5DC2-4022-8D0D-1C665F5E2AD4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • F717AC21-D734-4EF5-9F60-B3F4C3E0E803.png
    F717AC21-D734-4EF5-9F60-B3F4C3E0E803.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 129ED594-567C-4083-B54F-A3DA405A4FD1.png
    129ED594-567C-4083-B54F-A3DA405A4FD1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 81CA98A5-2EE7-45D5-BEEF-BF0579409340.jpeg
    81CA98A5-2EE7-45D5-BEEF-BF0579409340.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 31
This Nakayama Kiita, which I received today, and have honed two Konesukis on, appears to be a magnificent razor hone. It's a weird shape, for sure, but there's plenty of clean stone there for a Konesuki. I already like it a lot.

Nakayama Kiita.JPG

Ignore the Sharpie marks; it needed some flattening.

The huge Koppa from aframes! I was wondering how it looks when whet! It is very bright and nearly kiita lime no? No trouble with the lines I suppose? It looks quite great here!

The huge Koppa from aframes! I was wondering how it looks when whet! It is very bright and nearly kiita lime no? No trouble with the lines I suppose? It looks quite great here!

Not familiar with that term, but there is a tinge of green, yes. Also a cool sunset-like effect where the green transitions to yellow/orange. Here's a wet picture.

Kiita wet.JPG

The lines feel completely benign so far, but I have not spent much time right on them.

Thanks to you enablers had to finally dip my toe into JNATs. Had a really nice shave after a two progression honing session. I only have two naguras, a tenjyou and mejiro. All and all a great shave regardless, sharp but smooth. I was really happy with the results for my first time behind the wheel.

What can you guys tell me about my stone?
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I can tell you it look's good! Lol! Get yourself a good quality tomo. To me it is more important than a mikawa nagura progression to achieve those wow edges and cheaper. More importantly better edges a lot easier if your stone is good. YMMV!

I can tell you it look's good! Lol! Get yourself a good quality tomo. To me it is more important than a mikawa nagura progression to achieve those wow edges and cheaper. More importantly better edges a lot easier if your stone is good. YMMV!
Can someone give me a rundown on Tomos?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom