What's new

Show Us Your Hoard Stones

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Per @David request.

What are ’hoard’ stones? Find out here:

They tend to be a little softer (but not all by any means) yet still very fine, a characteristic of older Nakayama stones. This characteristic is mentioned by a number of knowledgeable people. But there’s nothing really special about them except that a large number of unused stones of this age and quality were found in one place. Alex has found and sold many stones of equivalent quality from old hardware stores, private collections, etc over the years. I’ve bought many stones over the tears from Takeshi, friends, Japanese auctions that are as good as the hoard stones, but they tend to be hit or miss as Alex isn’t selecting and grading them.

Starting off, Nakayama hoard kiita #2, a huge piece of Nakayama kiita, 210 x 80 x30mm, and about as good as it gets. I got this one from a good friend. It’s about 5 in hardness, 5++ in speed, and as fine as they get. It responds to clear water finishing if you want to bump it up a little. It makes a very skin-friendly razor edge. The kiita nagura in the first image is also a hoard stone.

8713E959-E0C5-4240-98DD-1E8380559E2C.jpeg
039A0809-C809-4E27-863F-8C127614A447.jpeg
3F44D9AE-6E11-455C-A5B4-9D896B765923.jpeg

Steve56

Here are some hoard kiita koppa. Some of these I bought from Alex during a visit to Sonoma in 2020, a week before the world stopped from covid.

4C97A893-1916-46CC-95E0-0994CDE0CBF3.jpeg

I think I will have to suppress some jealousy here. Never got my hands on a hoard stone. Still fun to look at, though. Bring on the stone pictures!

Steve56

Alex sold many stones over the years of the same quality, the stone on the left is a Nakayama Hatanaka maru-ka that I bought from him probably around 8-9 years ago. It came from an old hardware store and there’s still a video of it on his site if you look for honing a kanna blade on kiita #8. It isn’t cracked, or the line is filled, it’s non-absorbent and perfectly smooth.

011F39C2-95E4-4EB1-9FA9-34B3B7CAC1AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve56

I think I will have to suppress some jealousy here. Never got my hands on a hoard stone. Still fun to look at, though. Bring on the stone pictures!

No reason for that, there are stones of similar quality sold all the time at very reasonable prices. It does take some level of commitment both in time and money (though maybe not as much as you think). Collecting JNats is part of the hobby for me, a large number of stones is not necessary or even desirable for most folks. I just enjoy them.

Side note, I had a rock collection as a kid, I always loved rocks, did lapidary for a hobby as a teen. I still have my rock collection, they just have abrasive in them now!

OK so the one I posted in the JNAT thread is #65 even though in his picks it is #64. It is a two sided stone with slightly different qualities on the two sides. Which is why I made the back side usable. The side with the blue in it is a bit harder than the iromono blushing side. The bluish side edges are a tad too aggressive, but really sharp. The blushing side mellows that to a skin friendly edge that feels just as sharp. So I tend to use both sides when creating an edge off this stone. Since combining the two seems to give me the best of both worlds.
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG
kiita65.jpg

Kiita koppa hoard # 70. It is double sided now, one side takes on a blueish cast when wet, and that is my favorite. The lines are not an issue on either side. I lost the link to the archive of hoard stones - if someone can find it, feel free to post the original listing.

View attachment 1482974View attachment 1482972
I saw your stone when I was looking for mine. Unforturnatley my #122 stone is not there and I don't think ever was while the #65 stone only has the pics and no listing info.

Screenshot (19).png

Amazing stones fellows, I can remmeber passing on buying a couple of these stones a few years back. Back then I was still struggling with consistent razor honing success and stubbornly refusing to buy jnats . I can remember thinking "No need for them I have a 12k synthetic stone which surely is finer" 🤦

I saw your stone when I was looking for mine. Unforturnatley my #122 stone is not there and I don't think ever was while the #65 stone only has the pics and no listing info.

View attachment 1482987

How do I get to this part of Alex's site? I can't seem to find it...

I have a Nakayma Kiita Koppa in my possession atm, can't remember if it's from the 'hoard' though. The person who it belongs to has a number from Alex, some hoard stones, some others (I'll snap a picture of it in a bit either way).

How do I get to this part of Alex's site? I can't seem to find it...

I have a Nakayma Kiita Koppa in my possession atm, can't remember if it's from the 'hoard' though. The person who it belongs to has a number from Alex, some hoard stones, some others (I'll snap a picture of it in a bit either way).
It isn't the full site cause I don't think that exists anymore. It is a web archive. kiita koppa nakayama kyoto simple razor hones - https://web.archive.org/web/20190629114626/http://thejapanstone.com/A_New_Kiita_Korner.html

Ah gotcha, ta.

---

This a very hard 3.5 (I'd probably call it 4 myself), and I believe a hoard stone, it definitely came from AG whichever way.

IMG-9303.jpg

IMG-9300.JPG

IMG-9301.jpg

91A8ECF7-0FB4-43B9-8E06-B822C3C68BDE.jpeg

As people perhaps know - I’m generally not a massive fan of Japanese stones for sharpening purposes, but this is an exception. It’s one of the few, perhaps only, jnat I’ve used that I would say is properly fast for its ‘grit’ level. This is way higher than I would normally take a normal kitchen knife, yet the edge retains a remarkable amount of bite and aggression for something so fine. Very, very good stone.

Never actually tried on a razor, perhaps I should...

Nakayama Kiita #25 from the hoard. One of my favorite pieces, it’s so fast and fine. The hole in the center was from shipping damage when I originally received it.

View attachment 1535839
View attachment 1535838
View attachment 1535840
View attachment 1535841

Here’s a video of Alex himself using it:
I am just curious. Did you shave with this edge, if yes, how was it?
I have two Hart Razors that have given me allot of challenges, but also some grate edges when they got sorted out.

Top Bottom