What's new

Show Us Your Combis

Lalune Les lat combo. It is gathering dust, but at least the Les latneuses side is useful for something..
20211218_182744.jpg
20211218_182811.jpg

Particularly nice about that piece of Idwal was that not only was it the same thickness as my coti, it was also a similar width, so after sawing in half and epoxy-ing together, I didn't have to lap through too much novaculite.

IMG-3929.jpg

IMG-3936.jpg

Et voila... The Celebrated Coticule - Llyn Idwal Combination Razor Hone.

IMG-3935.jpg

IMG-3930.jpg

And because every day's a school day, here are some fun facts linking Belgium, Wales, and whetstones:

Cymru (Wales) was obviously historically a Celtic land, and Cymræg (Welsh) today has the largest number of native speakers of any Celtic language in the world.

What might be less well known though is that Belgium too was a Celtic area; named for the Belgæ tribe, and indeed the original Roman name for Coticules - Passernices - was also probably a Celtic word. Just like Llyn Idwal.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Particularly nice about that piece of Idwal was that not only was it the same thickness as my coti, it was also a similar width, so after sawing in half and epoxy-ing together, I didn't have to lap through too much novaculite.

View attachment 1584273

View attachment 1584265

Et voila... The Celebrated Coticule - Llyn Idwal Combination Razor Hone.

View attachment 1584272

View attachment 1584269

And because every day's a school day, here are some fun facts linking Belgium, Wales, and whetstones:

Cymru (Wales) was obviously historically a Celtic land, and Cymræg (Welsh) today has the largest number of native speakers of any Celtic language in the world.

What might be less well known though is that Belgium too was a Celtic area; named for the Belgæ tribe, and indeed the original Roman name for Coticules - Passernices - was also probably a Celtic word. Just like Llyn Idwal.
Everything I know about Belgium I learned from Asterix and TinTin comics, and it hasnt failed me.

C1112225-1C67-442E-8E86-0AE7958FA056.png

Last edited:
Is there any consensus on the best glue to use for home made combis? Epoxy, CA or maybe something flexible to account for differential thermal expansion rates in different types of stone.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Is there any consensus on the best glue to use for home made combis? Epoxy, CA or maybe something flexible to account for differential thermal expansion rates in different types of stone.
I have been using epoxy for years with no troubles. I use slow cure so I an make adjustments. I also prefer neutral color so the glue line does not stand out and can add stone dust if filling in gaps. This coticule is next on the glue table
D1175710-D83E-4E71-9C7A-18FF3D3F22A8.jpeg

Go epoxy. Even when fully set, and hard as rock, it’s much less brittle (or more flexible) than superglue. Pretty remarkable stuff.

Top Bottom