What's new

Show Us Your Combis

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A trio that get regular workouts. Another knife tamer (thanks for the name @David ), a India/Washita and a natural Coticule with a slice of Rouge du Salm. The Coti combo gives great edges from both sides with the RDS being more surgical and the cream being smoother

29AD2129-07B9-4EE2-981A-9CC60DE0EE06.jpeg
0C628F4B-CA0D-404D-8625-529DF2F3EFB4.jpeg

With the exception of one Atoma, and one Coticule, I got rid of all combos. I won't double another Atoma. The Coti is a natural combo, the BBW doesn't interest me though. Might as well be on slate but it is what it is.

I found that I prefer working on single stones. Was fun figuring that out though.

A trio that get regular workouts. Another knife tamer (thanks for the name @David ), a India/Washita and a natural Coticule with a slice of Rouge du Salm. The Coti combo gives great edges from both sides with the RDS being more surgical and the cream being smoother

View attachment 1493379
@timwcic I trust your judgement on this. I've got this "bbw" that is wine colored. It's different than my all other bbws but is finer and more aggressive though feedback is identical with a light touch.... but with pressure it's much more aggressive but pretty buttery still. The color is almost identical to your picture and I've always wondered if it was a Rouge du salm. Either way it's great for knives and razors. I think it finishes fine than a few of my coticules. I seek your sage advice sir. In person it looks a little darker but it's markedly more "red wine" colored that blue by any measure. Wonderful stone I've used regularly for knives and chisels/planes. The second picture gives a better representation of the difference of natural color in shadows/ sunlight.

20220724_192256.jpg20220724_192303.jpg

I've moved in the direction of lapping my Arkansas stones differently on each face, so that sort of precludes their being used as combo stones. That said, there are some lovely pictures on this thread. I have quite a few combo stones, but nothing as nice at what's been posted. Here are a couple of shots of two combo stones in my travel set-up that I really like.

View attachment 1493347
View attachment 1493348

The first is a Suehiro 1000/3000 combo, 40mm x 130mm. And the second is a no. 7 bout natural combo, a little bit smaller overall than the Suehiro combo. I really like this line of Suehiro combos (made in larger formats as well); they're also quite inexpensive for what they deliver. Interesting too is that the coloration is different than the Cerax that @cotedupy shows. I have seen other "Cerax" 1000/3000 colored light blue like my Suehiros. The natural bout combo has a BBW side and "nouvelle vein" coticule side. Really nice results with this one, although the coticule side feels as though one were honing on a scrub board! (Other players as shown are a coarse DMT for lapping, a fine DMT for chips and reshaping, and a small piece of Welsh purple slate used with oil for a little bit of final finishing off the coticule as needed.)

To be completely honest - I'm only guessing that my little combi at the top are Ceraxes. It's clearly a Suehiro stone, and the 3k side is definitely a Cerax / Ouka because I've bought another since and it's the same stone. I've never used another 1k Cerax though, I'm just assuming that's what it was. Was quite an old stone that combi I think, so perhaps they've changed the colour since...(?)

Was extremely good that combi - absolutely loved it.

9x3 scotch dual. One side snakestone style tam, other a gorgeous dalmore
View attachment 1493246View attachment 1493247View attachment 1493248

9x3 dual one side white tam, and back is dalmore. View attachment 1493249View attachment 1493250View attachment 1493251
Group shot with another dual. Small dual idk what they would have classes the back as but it is like the dark material you can get on a natural combo tamView attachment 1493252View attachment 1493253

These are cool! Did you stick the larger ones together yourself? The first looks to have labels from two separate stones, rather than a Dual Hone...

timwcic

"Look what I found"
@timwcic I trust your judgement on this. I've got this "bbw" that is wine colored. It's different than my all other bbws but is finer and more aggressive though feedback is identical with a light touch.... but with pressure it's much more aggressive but pretty buttery still. The color is almost identical to your picture and I've always wondered if it was a Rouge du salm. Either way it's great for knives and razors. I think it finishes fine than a few of my coticules. I seek your sage advice sir. In person it looks a little darker but it's markedly more "red wine" colored that blue by any measure. Wonderful stone I've used regularly for knives and chisels/planes. The second picture gives a better representation of the difference of natural color in shadows/ sunlight.

View attachment 1493622View attachment 1493623

Being of a quality you describe, it’s very possible. Look for the deep color, bonded by glue to a coticule, and finishes equal to a Coti are all good signs in your favor

Being of a quality you describe, it’s very possible. Look for the deep color, bonded by glue to a coticule, and finishes equal to a Coti are all good signs in your favor
It is bonded by very old cracking and yellowing glue, and it does have a deep wine color with holographic effect. It leaves a sharp but much more aggressive edge on knives than my other bbws. Whatever it is I like, wouldn't mind grabbing more at some point.

Most combis came my way by accident. The WoA was intentional, as were the India/Washita for doing knives on the road. All are pretty good at what they do.

04598E44-F48B-45F7-9894-F2AAB252E75B.jpeg
DBA9CA6B-C9D7-43E7-9B16-03EF8074518F.jpeg
8803F158-C8FB-4820-A725-BE1DB6C344D2.jpeg
0FA4B2E8-6C37-4055-BA63-472259CDBDEC.jpeg
0EFC9565-43D5-49E2-895E-2BADD4764E67.jpeg

D2CAD7D1-EB02-4E03-803C-62522360B1AF.jpeg

Except this stupid thing. The 1k must be soaked and the 4k CANNOT be soaked or it'll bust apart. What a stupid design. Still, makes great knife edges.
39BFAA7F-4DFE-42AB-891A-F6E7535A9808.jpeg

Sellers pics. I’m hoping this is an India/Washita combo. It’s one of the big 11x2.5’s. The seller said the white side was translucent on the edges. Did Norton make an India/soft ark in this size? View attachment 1584146

Cool!

I'm relatively sure they never offered an India x Washita in that size. If any such stone exists it would probably have been a one-off cut to order type affair.

They do or did make that size India x Soft Ark though. The screenshot below is from the 'current' catalogue on their website, which is 2008/09.

Screenshot 2023-01-07 110528.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Cool!

I'm relatively sure they never offered an India x Washita in that size. If any such stone exists it would probably have been a one-off cut to order type affair.

They do or did make that size India x Soft Ark though. The screenshot below is from the 'current' catalogue on their website, which is 2008/09.

View attachment 1584147
Well shoot. So much for wishful thinking! Maybe it will be a fairly aggressive soft. Thanks Oli.

Well shoot. So much for wishful thinking! Maybe it will be a fairly aggressive soft. Thanks Oli.

I'm just pinching myself that I knew something about arks which you didn't. ;)

I think @stringer bean uses one of the more modern India x Soft combis fairly regularly for knives and rates it highly. And he has a load of old Washitas too, so he knows the good stuff!

Plus yours is an awesome size, even if it's not a mega fast stone that amount of runway is gonna be doing some good abrading whatever way I'd imagine.

David's revival of this thread has brought me some luck, as I just took delivery of an Idwal I picked up for a for a few quid on ebay and it turned out to be something I've been on the look out for...

I wanted a piece of novaculite to back a small but very lovely, pure cream coticule I have. @Wid had asked Dan's about the possibility of cutting some black ark for us, but the price of even small custom orders is high. So I was looking for a UK novaculite instead, but because Charns and Idwals are so bloody hard it's rare to find thin stones.

This'll do very nicely indeed though, watch this space...

IMG-3927.jpg

IMG-3928.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom