What's new

Show Us Your BICYCLE(S)!!!!

Riot,

Thinking about turning my 1x9 into SS, which tensioners do you rec?

I'm using a Performance bike brand, I like that style. The big thing when converting is to get your chain line right and properly align the tensioner. Half links in the chain are another good way to take up some slack, sometimes you get lucky and don't even need a tensioner with the right gear combo and chain stay length. I always start SS/MTB builds at 2:1 gearing and adjust from there. Usually based on the middle ring of a mountain crank set.

edit: here's the style I use and like...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007REBQXW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1418195854&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

Last edited:
Put some new tires, tubes, and brakes on the '72 Super Speed today. Forgot to take pictures I'll snap a few tomorrow.

Worked my way through a few different locks and eventually opted for the street cuffs pictured below. Bulletproof and hard as hell to pick/pry/force open. Can be a pain finding something to lock it to at times but all good. I've got a couple of fixies that I ride so the cuffs go well. Thinking of getting the motorbike version as well with wider links in between.
$image.jpg

Thought I'd show the bikes while I"m at it. No 1 is my full custom old school Pertini fixie. Rides like butta. Ratio isn't fast enough to pick up any big speed but great for the streets. I love the 70's frame and how everything else is custom that I built around me. First time I took her out she broke my foot going down a hill. I treat her with respect now and she treats me nice as a result. I ride with a brake but don't use it. Nice to have just in case as its pretty hilly where I live.
$image.jpg

My other ride is a State Contender. New school fixie with carbon front fork and sram componentry. I take this on the velodrome from time to time but its really a street ride. Looks sweet and apart from the pedals, she's stock. Again, the front brake isn't exactly purist but just use it for emergencies.
$image.jpg

Bike locks!! What's everyone using? Dodged a massive bullet today. The lock I've been using for years started to fail, then when I messed with it the key snapped off in the lock. Very luckily, this happened after I unlocked my bike from the lamp post.

Replaced it with a Kryptonite Keeper 785. Should be enough for Melbourne (touch wood...).

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/conte...s/product-information/current-key/000853.html

My thinking, is that a lock is best when it deters someone and causes them to move on to someone else's bike. Anyone who really wants to steal your bike, can do so no matter the lock.

Bike locks!! What's everyone using? Dodged a massive bullet today. The lock I've been using for years started to fail, then when I messed with it the key snapped off in the lock. Very luckily, this happened after I unlocked my bike from the lamp post.

Replaced it with a Kryptonite Keeper 785. Should be enough for Melbourne (touch wood...).

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/conte...s/product-information/current-key/000853.html

I use Kryptonite New York Forgetaboutit Locks and Atomic22 bolts so nothing gets wrenched off.
Thieves now days, like to steal parts vs complete bike!

Here is my '80 Team Mongoose! :001_cool: To answer your question, since I was a kid, I've only been into 20" bikes. Never ridden MTB or road bikes at all. I just like the look and feel I guess. I also never got into freestyle. When it exploded in the mid 80's, I lost interest and turned my focus on being a musician. I got "back in the game" around '93 and started racing sporadically just for the love of it. I then got the vintage restoration bug and have to date finished about a dozen bikes, including the one below.
I had this exact 'Goose that came stock with the old "MotoMag" wheels. I went through Z-Rims, Tuff II's, etc. before settling on regular old alloys. I had upgraded the stem, bars, and cranks, put a freewheel on it with DiaComp rear brakes, and just had it where I wanted it when my bike shop that sponsored me locally gave me a brand new SuperGoose.

Figured this would interest some of you folks who cycle in the city. I am considering getting one just in case, although I cycle almost every day it is only short distance.
http://www.thehornit.com/product/hornit-db140

I don't know what to think about horns. Usually just a "head's up" or "On your left" works. But the problem are the peds with headphones, so I'm never sure if this works.

ie: I don't want to scare the crap outta people. Those who are paying attention, don't usually even need a shout. They stay to the right and aren't a problem. Those who don't hear you, will they hear you with this?

I don't know what to think about horns. Usually just a "head's up" or "On your left" works. But the problem are the peds with headphones, so I'm never sure if this works.

ie: I don't want to scare the crap outta people. Those who are paying attention, don't usually even need a shout. They stay to the right and aren't a problem. Those who don't hear you, will they hear you with this?

This seems to be a last resort thing that you hit as you are hitting the brakes about to crash.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
$IMG_2149.jpg
One for the mountains - On One Inbred

$IMG_2447 (2).jpg
One for the road - Surly Crosscheck

$Trucker1 (2).jpg
One for everything else - Surly Long Haul Trucker

$1929199_1101574786394_7074055_n.jpg$1929199_1101574706392_222258_n.jpg$1929199_1097628887749_606477_n.jpg$10399583_1211213367290_7649182_n.jpg$3286381767_2227f7b423_z.jpg

Xtracycle equipped Balance AL-750, Fuji Track 2004, Redline Monocog 29'er, FBM Howler 20", General Lee 24".

The Xtracycle is the daily, without the Chariot trailer, of course. Every other bike has had months to years of being the daily driver. These are the photos I had, but I do have more BMXs, a Dual susser (KHS Witch Doctor), and a mod trials bike. I built up most of my wheels and do my own wrenching. I'm a big fan of BMX cranks on fixed gear/ single speed bikes -- it makes chain alignment a breeze.

Top Bottom