What's new

Show and Tell: broken in boar brush

copper boar.jpg

copper boar knot.jpg

My scrubbier (less blooming) boars, L to R:
knot diameter x height in mm

Custom by me 22x45
Custom 22x44
(turned and finished by @GAW9576 , knotted by me)
Zenith B17 24x48
Vulfix 6 22x55
Ever-Ready NOS 21x51
Vintage ceramic fox motif, re-knotted 28x48

624F3084-B14C-4696-AF2C-B1392E1644F6.jpeg

D26111E6-1701-46CC-AA2E-49B779FF8D42.jpeg

It's a Zenith with the copper handle. It's also available with Aluminum or acrylic handles. I think it's called a "Big Scrubby". 28 mm +/- knot
Thanks. I’ve been liking these for some time. I have been really hung up on the loft options as to whether or not I want the scrubby or regular version. This shows me the angle the well broken in results to confirm the shorter loft is the one.

I currently have an omega Jade that is just ok, and I have the SOC boar that I’m pretty favorable toward. But these zeniths looks great and their reputation is great.

what do you attribute the patina on this brush handle to? The water, soap, time/handling?

Water, air and time. If you are impatient there are ways to accelerate a patina with chemicals available on Amazon, but it will patina on its own.

Last edited:
Water, air and time. If you are impatient there are ways to accelerate a patina with chemicals available on Amazon, but it will patina on its own.
Just placed my order. I will let it do its thing naturally. Just curious as to what you figured was the main factor. I was assuming it would be water type. Looks great.

These boars splay a bit more than my shorter lofted brushes.
L to R:
knot diameter x height in mm

Semogue 1250 22x55
Zenith B5 20x58
The Superior Shave Reine Borste 20x51
The Superior Shave Reine Borste 20x51
Semogue 1470 22x50
Omega 10005 24x54
Omega 10066 25x56

C242D562-BF54-48F5-A6A5-436B4F44AEE3.jpeg

BE21A6DB-F389-40BC-A6B8-C50585504A47.jpeg

The Semogue brushes seem to splay the most of any of my boars. I don’t do anything to break in boar knots, other than lather and rinse them several times. I’m not trying to soften them or make them more badger-like.

In my experience, most boar knots do not lather well immediately, possibly due to leftover swine oils or some manufacturing effect. “Lather, rinse, repeat” a dozen or more times clears up that issue.

My boar is quite not broken yet but here's my progress pictures.

Stirling 24mm boar brush

IMG_20200408_155054894~2.jpg
IMG_20200408_155104702~2.jpg

I got this boar two weeks ago and I've been working to break this in. I did a face lather with this one the second day and my skin was a bit irritated. I realized that I can't face lather like I used to with an unbroken boar.

My break-in process is soak the boar overnight. Palm lather with it couple times and soak it again. Take it out next day and towel strop it until it's dry. Let it dry overnight. And repeat until it's broken.

I have repeated this process for 4-5 days and it is breaking in slowly. Not as fast as I'd like but it is making progress. I'm hoping that the process quickens and that I can enjoy this boar in a shave soon.

Proraso_Blue.jpg

Here's my trusty boar shaving brush: the Semoque 830.

This is a 5 year old brush and still surprises me with its great performance every now and then. I have a few other brushes in my rotation including a Muhle synthetic, a 24mm finest badger, an Omega boar.

I'm a face latherer, and so far the Semogue 830 is my favorite.

Zenith Short N Scrubby

24x48mm

I don't shave with boars that often (I prefer mixed knots) and haven't owned this that long. Seen maybe 15-20 uses. I've gotten or am getting rid of basically all my other pure boars though. Sheds a hair every once in awhile, and was on the high end of price for a wood handled boar... but it sure performs.

Attachments

• IMG_2261[1].JPG
    IMG_2261[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2262[1].JPG
    IMG_2262[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Zenith Short N Scrubby

24x48mm

I don't shave with boars that often (I prefer mixed knots) and haven't owned this that long. Seen maybe 15-20 uses. I've gotten or am getting rid of basically all my other pure boars though. Sheds a hair every once in awhile, and was on the high end of price for a wood handled boar... but it sure performs.

Looks like a nice one. Never tried a mixed knot but think a boar and horse, boar and badger or badger and horse could all be nice.

Perhaps all three - I give you Boarse (Badger, Boar and Horse)

My boar is quite not broken yet but here's my progress pictures.

Stirling 24mm boar brush

View attachment 1084364View attachment 1084365

I got this boar two weeks ago and I've been working to break this in. I did a face lather with this one the second day and my skin was a bit irritated. I realized that I can't face lather like I used to with an unbroken boar.

My break-in process is soak the boar overnight. Palm lather with it couple times and soak it again. Take it out next day and towel strop it until it's dry. Let it dry overnight. And repeat until it's broken.

I have repeated this process for 4-5 days and it is breaking in slowly. Not as fast as I'd like but it is making progress. I'm hoping that the process quickens and that I can enjoy this boar in a shave soon.
My Stirling Boar is behaving similarly. Very reluctant to break-in. But I think I like its backbone and density quite a bit. So I think that when it eventually does break-in it should be really good stuff . Let's hope!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Three of my SOC boars...

SOC Trio.jpg

I don't know if they will get any better, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Top Bottom