What's new

Should I up my humidor humidity?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It’s holding steady at 68-69 %. I have 2 Boveda packs in the humidor. It’s a 25-50 sticks humidor and i have 8 sticks in there. But the last 3 cigars haven't burned very well. Tasted OK. But the burn was uneven and would go out a couple times. Even though the initial light was even and a solid red ember.

Temperature in my house fluctuates a lot this time of year because we don’t run the heat/AC. It can get up to 75-78 during the day and down to 60’s a night. I’m wondering if this affecting the cigars any?

Should I compensate by using a 72 or 75 % Boveda pack?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
A drier stick should burn better, not worse. I might chalk it up to construction issues.

A drier stick should burn better, not worse. I might chalk it up to construction issues.
+1, sounds like the opposite of dry to me.
You can get a “runner” for a few reasons as well. Like Kent said, construction is one reason, airflow like a ceiling fan or wind is another. As for the cigar going out, I always blame that on good conversation.

A lot of people claim that 70% RH is the way to go. I am of the ilke that 65 - 68% is a better number. I would even go so far down to 62%.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well, I reckon I’ll just leave it as is then and chalk it up to bad sticks. 3 of them though? Oh well!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well, I reckon I’ll just leave it as is then and chalk it up to bad sticks. 3 of them though? Oh well!

I usually have to touch up a cigar at least once, and on the really bad ones all the time.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

I've had some misfortune like this. I've been able to rescue a few with something called Perfect Draw. Not ideal for certain but made them smokable.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That’s a neat tool but at 40 bucks?...I don’t smoke that often.

I agree that drier (to a point) should be better. If you are looking for peace of mind then a coolerdor in my opinion will yield better storage conditions that any humidor that I've encountered (within budget). I have some leftover spanish cedar that I'd send ya if you wanted to construct your own trays to fit a cooler of your choice. You can get an idea of what I did in this thread:
Budget Humidor (Tupperdor)

As for the burn issues, I would pay attention to construction, draw, and wind. I generally smoke in a vehicle (windows down) with few issues and rarely going out, though perhaps I smoke a touch fast. Most runs I dab a little saliva at the run and adjust my draw to favor the opposite side and they'll usually self correct. Occasionally I'll make a fresh cut to open the draw up mid-smoke or massage the stick (light squeezing and rolling in fingers) prior to lighting if the construction feels tight.

Top Bottom