What's new

My hi-tech DIY humidors

As newb In the world of cigars, I am finding that I am acquiring a fair assortment of smokes and need a way to protect/preserve my investments.

I originally had the idea to store everything in mason jars but ultimately didn’t like that they could still have issues with light, and the vertical orientation of the stored sticks. So I am taking efforts to explore the best economical ways to keep, store and monitor my sticks.

I have been fortunate to pick up some better cigar boxes that, more or less are humidors if seasoned properly. This was my first thought for a successful option. However, I’m heading into the cold weather months and don’t want to full commit to gambling on something yet unproven. So I went with a second option that I figured might be a bit more forgiving on the journey ahead.

It started with a trip to my local harbor freight, where I picked up two of their Apache 1800 weatherproof cases. I grabbed two as I am currently more interested in the infused cigars and cigarillos, but am trying and collection a variety of non flavored smokes as well. I have two Bluetooth thermometer/hygrometers from amazon that will be installed the interior of the lid with some Velcro. Lastly, I have a few 60gram 69% bovedas for humidification.
F5590634-48C5-4220-A100-57F9C4F81440.png
298AC4A6-730A-48E1-BE2C-46F45A329BC3.jpeg

I have since assembled my two humidors by removing all of the foam inserts. Most of the non flavored cigars have been set in their humidor without the cellophane. All of the infused cigarillos and cigars have been put in their respective humidor with the cellophane still on. Both humidors were left in one area of the house overnight to stabilize and acclimate some and I have used the app on my phone to review the charts and data points of the temps and RH inside each of them. I am moving them each day to different areas in the house to see where the temps are the most stable.

Having the Bluetooth units inside the humidors is great, because I can get live data without having to unnecessarily disrupt the stable conditions within. I understand these are airtight or damned close to it, so the need exists to open them once or twice a week to breath.

Has anyone else gone down this path? Is there anything I should add or do to these, such as use the foam, or add some Spanish cedar to the inside?

overall, I am quite pleased to have these up and running for less than $35 between the two of them.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You can add cedar if you want but I don’t think it’s super necessary. You did good.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have heard that cedar helps with the aging of cigars? What’s the logic behind that? Or is this a misunderstanding on my part?

Everyone has their own take on that, but a cigar will age with or without cedar fine. Some people like the flavor the cedar can impart to a cigar, but I personally don’t find it makes a cigar any better, or worse for that matter.

Cedar does absorb humidity and help to maintain moisture. That can be a good or bad thing depending on if the ambient humidity where you live is higher or lower than optimal. With active humidification like Boveda or Beads I think it’s less of a factor.

Finally, aesthetically, the look of cigars surrounded by cedar DOES look nicer than in a plastic container or cooler, but other than that cedar isn’t that important IMO. Some of my really old cigars smell almost 100% of cedar, and I’m kinda miffed at that.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Some folks will tell you that you need to open those airtight containers every so often to "burp" them and cycle the air. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it doesn't hurt.

One other consideration, is that in my experience 69% bovedas will be a little high for an airtight container, and I'd recommend 65% instead. YMMV.

Once I started running out of space in my coolerdors, table top humis (which I no longer use, too much variation in rh), and tupperdors, I started using ziplock brand heavy duty 2.5 gallon freezer bags. They have a robust zipper and are super thick. I marinate bone in turkey breasts, briskets, pork shoulders in these bags. They are huge and tough.

I mostly smoke Oliva cigars, and the boxes come with a thin sheet of cedar in the box. I put these along with 69% 60 gram bovedas in the bags, usually 3-4 depending on how many sticks are in there. I use two ziplocks and double bag the stogies in the rare event (never happened, but I’m ocd) the bag springs a leak. I leave the inner bag open. I leave the cello on all cigars to help protect them. Can easily fit 75-100 Churchill sized cigars in a bag.

Has worked for me for a long time.

Humidification has come a long way. I still remember using PG and floral foam in my coolidors.
Oh me too. Used to walk into pharmacies and ask for a pint of pg. They usually looked at me like I had three eyes. Once I explained what it was for they usually thought it was pretty cool. Had one pharmacist ask me if I needed it in for an enema before I explained what it was for. Didn’t know if he was kidding or not.

Some folks will tell you that you need to open those airtight containers every so often to "burp" them and cycle the air. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it doesn't hurt.

One other consideration, is that in my experience 69% bovedas will be a little high for an airtight container, and I'd recommend 65% instead. YMMV.
Thanks for the input. One of these I have a 60 gram boveda and it’s running .7-1.3% high, but the other has a handful of assorted smaller 4, 8, and 10gram bovedas totaling 50 grams and it’s holding steady at 68.7% The Bluetooth thermo/hygrometers are really nice with the ability to see the changes in the humidor over time.
A3F5D1A3-FCD6-4225-AEB5-68BEF922714D.jpeg

I plan to open these weekly to get an air change inside.

I just ordered 50 sticks last night through a varied selection of samplers so hopefully they will arrive by the end of the week and I can get them stocked in their respective humidors to age over the winter. I am hoping this stock-up will help with maintaining a more stable RH through the long winter.

I’m getting a collection of both infused and non infused sticks built up. I plan to enjoy the infused options (mostly cigarillos in the tins) when there are tolerable conditions over the colder month as they are shorter smokes. It is my hope that I will have a more refined ability to taste and enjoy the unflavored sticks come spring time and can enjoy what I have set back.

Oh me too. Used to walk into pharmacies and ask for a pint of pg. They usually looked at me like I had three eyes. Once I explained what it was for they usually thought it was pretty cool. Had one pharmacist ask me if I needed it in for an enema before I explained what it was for. Didn’t know if he was kidding or not.
The last pg I bought required a Dr's prescription, something about federal labeling regs or some such. My Dr. was in a different town than was the pharmacy and he was quite amused about the whole thing. He gave me the script and I gave him a couple of decent cigars. The pharmacist was apologetic and intrigued about the whole humidor thing.

Well, my big order arrived today and I quickly came to the realization I outgrew the first Prototypes. Thankfully I picked up a larger case when I bought the first ones. I won’t be returning it now since I’ve put it to use.

BD93B625-3F00-430C-B41F-26432505962E.jpeg

I hope it was ok keep and use the foam. Right now I have about 40 sticks in here. I have a 12 pack of bovedas set to arrive tomorrow so I will have enough to keep this case RH stable.

Anyone in the peanut gallery notice any problems with this setup or will this serve me well?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Should there not be airflow around the hygrometer and temp reader? Looks like that foam surrounding it might give you inaccurate readings.

?

I have removed the foam along the area of the housing that allows the air to be checked for temp and humidity. It’s a pretty small hole in the unit, maybe 3mm and it is fully exposed to the area where the cigars and boveda are located. That’s why the screen reads that way.

I spy an mb3 in there. They are tasty.

Id ditch the foam. Looks like you’re giving up a lot of prime real estate.
If the foam isn’t hurting anything I will leave it in place for the time being to help fill the volume of the case, less to humidify. As the stock expands I foresee removing more of the foam to make room.

If the foam isn’t hurting anything I will leave it in place for the time being to help fill the volume of the case, less to humidify. As the stock expands I foresee removing more of the foam to make room.
Looks like the foam will be coming out soon. I’ve got my second box of cigars in transit, and have ordered another 100 sticks from CI’s Black Friday and cyber Saturday deals. I was mostly keeping it in for the reduction in volume to have to humidify.

Ive been pleased observing the stability of these humidors. I’ve moved them to my downstairs living room and they much less temp and RH variation. Look to be holding in a decent 2% range.

Top Bottom