What's new

Should I switch from a DE?

I made the switch a while back and would recommend it!
And if you don't mind me adding a tip it would be this...get shaving with the none dominant (left?) hand on your very first shave...it will be very rewarding and is a neccesary skill which is surprisingly easy to master
Regards
Jem

henchmen

I was using a shavette as a daily shaver before I ever picked up a DE. I use both conventional straights and DEs now, and enjoy both.

Best Regards

Graham

If you got the bug, whether it is curiosity or you just know it is something you want to do. I say go for it. Unless you are the type who looks at shaving as a chore, then it is probably not for you.

I have not been at either DE or Straight Razor shaving very long.
I love both, each has a learning curve, each has a different skill set than that of Electric(none) and multi bladed potato peelers(fusion and the like)

It didn't take me long after learning to shave with a DE shaver, to get the bug on Str8 razors...Thanks to places like this, I got hooked, and I got the Hook up.
I love using my Straight razor I am still learning, but my shaves are unbelievably close, my skin feels great afterward, I find as much relaxing as I do listening to soothing music.
Even the maintenance to me is rewarding and relaxing.
I never feel like I am in a rush to Hone, Strop, or even shave when I have a Straight razor in my hand.
Which is a great thing...In a world of rushing around, quick service, fast foods, etc...it is very nice to slow down.
I can shave very quickly with a Str8 razor, but why?

So, if you feel this way about trying a Straight Razor...then just do it.
Buy quality equipment from people or businesses that are trust worthy, like form here, or SRP forum.
Read what you can, watch the video's those helped me out a lot, especially the Honing, Stropping ones, and the Classic the Guy on You-tube Str8 shaving to Rod Stuart...that had me hooked....Good luck and enjoy.

Robert

I've not done my own straight razor shave yet, but i'm going to do it one way or the other.

It sounds to me as if you enjoy shaving and getting the job done right. so, even if it is an occasional thing, why not pick up the straight to have it around? even if you pick up a beginner's restored one right here, chances are if you try it a few times and don't like it, you can sell the sucker for almost or as much as you paid for it.

My reason do to this is to develop a new skill, take some time and do it right and most of all, to be able to sit down, do it with my own hands and have something presentable, repeatedly.

Oh, and the fact i'm involved in an outfit that does 'traditional' medieval camping and that using anything less at one of these events feels like cheating (plus it looks pretty darn impressive...)

While I'm a novice with both, I get a much, much better shave with the straight than I do with the DE.

If you're going to jump to a straight you have to realize that it's not really cost effective, compared to the DE, when you add in the cost of a strop, honing materials, and the eventual acquisition of more razors (this will happen). It's also definitely more time consuming. And there's the whole maintaining of the razor and the edge of the edge. And the learning, curve, which isn't awful, but it definitely takes time. You will absolutely cut yourself.

If you understand the difference and you still want to go for it, do it. If you think the straight is going to be similar to the DE in price, effort, and time required, don't do it.

I have been doing it for a little over a month and last night I had my best shave so far. I am still not completely BBS but it is fun and a lot easier than I thought. You have to learn what you need to do on each part of your face with a straight.I honed my own too and it probably is not as sharp as it could be but I have a light beard so that is not really a problem.And no irritation either.:biggrin:

DON'T DO IT... DON'T DO IT...:eek:

I though I could get by with maybe one or two str8's...:bored:

I kept telling myself I could quit anytime I wanted to...:wink:

But then, SWMBO started to put her foot down...:001_smile

Luckily I have just enough $$ left over from the alimony to continue funding my RAD!!!!!:w00t:

In all serious-ness, you'll probably get hooked, like many of us. Shaving with a str8 is a wonderful experience and a continous historical journey.

Was that too sappy or what?:blush:

Top Bottom