What's new

Should a gentleman carry a handkerchief ?

Pocket squares are arguably a different item, with a different, in the case of pocket squares, decorative, not utilitarian, purpose. And pocket squares are generally smaller than handkerchiefs and can be made of materials, such as silk, that one would not likely blow their nose or dry their hands on, or, say mop the seat off his brow with.

That said, a cotton or linen pocket square, at least a plain white one, could serve some of the same purposes, on a one shot basis, as a handkerchief, and would have the benefit of being obviously unused. For instance, I think such a pocket square would be ideal for offering to a woman for purposes of drying her tears. (Not, of course, if one has through intentional behavior caused those tears!)

I think handkerchief were often in the past linen.

Pocket squares are arguably a different item, with a different, in the case of pocket squares, decorative, not utilitarian, purpose. And pocket squares are generally smaller than handkerchiefs and can be made of materials, such as silk, that one would not likely blow their nose or dry their hands on, or, say mop the seat off his brow with.

That said, a cotton or linen pocket square, at least a plain white one, could serve some of the same purposes, on a one shot basis, as a handkerchief, and would have the benefit of being obviously unused. For instance, I think such a pocket square would be ideal for offering to a woman for purposes of drying her tears. (Not, of course, if one has through intentional behavior caused those tears!)

I think handkerchief were often in the past linen.
Indeed, the think is I have two pocket squares handed down to that are made of linen, thus I figure it would serve the purpose of impressing a lady. ;) The rest are indeed made of silk. As far as I know in the soviet unions early days men used their pocket squares often in the same manner as a handkerchief would be used. I might be wrong...

I really do not know. Maybe back in the day, the breast pocket of a suit is simply where one kept one's handkerchief!

Modern breast pocket seem a little tight for that purpose. Or maybe handkerchiefs got bigger.

I really like linen pocket squares. Very classy to me.

I really do not know. Maybe back in the day, the breast pocket of a suit is simply where one kept one's handkerchief!

Modern breast pocket seem a little tight for that purpose. Or maybe handkerchiefs got bigger.

I really like linen pocket squares. Very classy to me.
They are, mine are plain white tough, but you got me wondering and I used good ole google and found this: Linen Pocket Squares
I might just buy me one of those.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Indeed, the think is I have two pocket squares handed down to that are made of linen, thus I figure it would serve the purpose of impressing a lady. ;) The rest are indeed made of silk. As far as I know in the soviet unions early days men used their pocket squares often in the same manner as a handkerchief would be used. I might be wrong...
In Soviet Russia, pocket square uses you.

Paper tissues. I always remember the part in "You Only Live Twice" (the book of course) where Tiger is briefing Bond about being Japanese and why they don't carry handkerchiefs: basically he says would you take any other bodily excretion, wrap it in fine linen and put it back in your pocket?

Nobody's answered yet what gentlemen do with a soiled kleenex/tissue if they're nowhere near a garbage can or any other proper spot to dispose of it.
dave

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Nobody's answered yet what gentlemen do with a soiled kleenex/tissue if they're nowhere near a garbage can or any other proper spot to dispose of it.
dave
I've never had that happen. Where is this no where near a garbage can supposed to happen?
And what's the worst case given this hypothetical, putting a snot rag in your pocket? Like a handkerchief!

In addition the question from op was would a gentleman offer a hanky to a stranger. In the modern world that's just not done

dave
My grandmother kept them in her shirtsleeve, left I think. But she was no gentleman.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have no need for a handkerchief, because due a court order involving an altercation at a Joe's Crab Shack, I am required to wear a bib in public.

handkerchief, comb and a pocket knife are all required to be well dressed according to my grandfather and it has served me well for 50+ years.

handkerchief, comb and a pocket knife are all required to be well dressed according to my grandfather and it has served me well for 50+ years.
I agree with your grandfather, and am envious he is able to keep a comb on the list.

I don't use a comb, and I've a knife like this on my commuter backpack.
proxy.php

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I've never had that happen. Where is this no where near a garbage can supposed to happen?
And what's the worst case given this hypothetical, putting a snot rag in your pocket? Like a handkerchief!

In addition the question from op was would a gentleman offer a hanky to a stranger. In the modern world that's just not done

I raised this as there have been a number of posters emphatic in their disgust at the notion of putting a soiled hanky back into their pocket, i don't think a soiled, less robust tissue is going to find it's way into said pocket. Being of no social standing i use a hanky and stuff it in my back pocket. In my purse i try to remember to throw in a travel pack of tissues in case someone else should need a wiper.

Daily, the buses i ride have no garbage receptacles, sometimes a bus stop does, the residential neighbourhoods i haunt and wander have no public garbage cans unlesss i detour through a park, the trails i hike may have a can at trail head only, hence the scatterings of full doggie bags along the way, restaurants with wait staff, nothing in sight, stores, elevators, performance spaces whether it's a church pew or a posh seat in a fine auditorium, where's the personal garbage go? Can take a lot hunting to track one down.

dave

Four things I always carry, my keys, pocket knife, wallet and handkerchief . Started with the handkerchief and pocket knife back in grade school, in the early 50', other items came later.

I used to carry a handkerchief every day. It was nice for the occasional brow mop or to save from sneezing into my sleeve or to wipe my fingers if I got something on them and couldn't slink off to the bathroom. If I ever really needed a tissue, I would grab one. If I was dealing with a runny nose or allergies, I'd shove a pack of tissues in my pocket. More often than not, I'd get to the end of a week without having used the handkerchief and I'd toss it in the washing machine because it had gotten all bunched up and dingy from being in my pocket so long.

These days, I carry a microfiber rag in my money clip. Maybe I'll shove the handkerchief in my briefcase, just in case. I won't carry one on my person, though.

Top Bottom