What's new

Shot my 2012 buck this morning!

Not a monster, but it has been a few years since I shot my last buck. Weighed 180 pounds field dressed. Good sized buck and I am very happy to have made a good shot on him!

Jacob

Just curious: when you say in your title that you have "shot my 2012 buck", is that your State's bag-limit for the hunting season?

congrats Jacob!! nice buck, and a very clean shot! video is def a nice touch!

always wanted to get into bow hunting as most of my friends bow hunt, but I figure let them hunt and I can do some fly fishing for fall colored browns and brookies and practically have the rivers to myself. One of these years....

not sure if you smoke a pipe, but several of my friends swear by vanilla tobacco in a corn cob while bowhunting - something about the scent seems to attracts em (more than just masking your scent) they absolutely swear by it maye worth a try next year?

congrats again!

Just curious: when you say in your title that you have "shot my 2012 buck", is that your State's bag-limit for the hunting season?

One any sex bow tag and one any sex firearm tag. Each county has a set number of antlerless only tags once sold they are gone. There are ways around the limits if you shotgun hunt basically you can kill unlimited bucks... won't get into that but it is a broken system. If you own land you can get a landowners tag that is also good for a buck. I still have doe tags for a couple of counties we hunt. I may get another any sex tag for late muzzleloader season, but my wife is due around the time that season opens so I will have limited possibilities there.

One any sex bow tag and one any sex firearm tag. Each county has a set number of antlerless only tags once sold they are gone. There are ways around the limits if you shotgun hunt basically you can kill unlimited bucks... won't get into that but it is a broken system. If you own land you can get a landowners tag that is also good for a buck. I still have doe tags for a couple of counties we hunt. I may get another any sex tag for late muzzleloader season, but my wife is due around the time that season opens so I will have limited possibilities there.

Geez. That sort of stinks. Here we get six tags automatically, 3 anterlered and 3 antlerless. They're good through all seasons (bow, muzzleloader, gun) in all zones. There are no "doe days" unless you are hunting on a WMA. However, they do break the state up into zones. So zone 2 may have bow season start 2 or 3 weeks before the same for zone 3.

Geez. That sort of stinks. Here we get six tags automatically, 3 anterlered and 3 antlerless. They're good through all seasons (bow, muzzleloader, gun) in all zones. There are no "doe days" unless you are hunting on a WMA. However, they do break the state up into zones. So zone 2 may have bow season start 2 or 3 weeks before the same for zone 3.

Heh! You gentlemen should head down this way!
Apart from certain species of game birds, we have no "seasons", no tag system, no bag limits, no fees, and hunting in National Parks is allowed. You can shoot as many deer as you want, whenever you want to.
Game species include Red Deer (some of the best in the world), Fallow Deer, Elk (like Red Deer, these than be huge), Sambar, Sika (a large Japanese deer)...and a couple of others that slip my mind. Wild Boar are also popular and plentiful. However many hunters regard the ultimate trophy to be Tahr (a type of Himalayan mountain goat) due to the ruggedness of the high altitude terrain in which they live in the Southern Alps.

Bow hunting is a minor pursuit as there are no restrictions on using centrefire rifles. It's a slightly strange situation in New Zealand where many environmentalists / conservationists would like to see large game animals completely eliminated where as the hunting lobby wants to preserve and manage these species. To give you some idea as to how unusual things can get, once when I was hiking in a National Park, I met and had lunch with a group of vegetarian hunters!

Jacob. - congrats! Nicely done - beautiful buck and tactful kill. I appreciate the video as well - showcases your skill nicely.

Jacob, nice buck and he looks healthy. Living just west of Kansas City we have a LOT of deer in the Kansas/Missori river basin area. Usually we have axvery healthy population with the water and available food. Millions of acres of croplands along the river bottoms. But this ruddy drought has wreaked absolute havoc. The Kansas river is so low in places you can wade across it and not wet your knees. Friends are reporting local deer with some ailment they call blue tongue. Supposedly brought on by bad drinking water. Are you lads feeling the effects of this in Iowa or have you fared better with the rains?

Cheers, Todd

Todd, we have been super dry here, but my understanding is blue tongue (same as EHD I think?) Isn't an issue after a frost/freeze. I have heard of some in Iowa but didn't see any first hand.

Heh! You gentlemen should head down this way!
Apart from certain species of game birds, we have no "seasons", no tag system, no bag limits, no fees, and hunting in National Parks is allowed. You can shoot as many deer as you want, whenever you want to.
Game species include Red Deer (some of the best in the world), Fallow Deer, Elk (like Red Deer, these than be huge), Sambar, Sika (a large Japanese deer)...and a couple of others that slip my mind. Wild Boar are also popular and plentiful. However many hunters regard the ultimate trophy to be Tahr (a type of Himalayan mountain goat) due to the ruggedness of the high altitude terrain in which they live in the Southern Alps.

Bow hunting is a minor pursuit as there are no restrictions on using centrefire rifles. It's a slightly strange situation in New Zealand where many environmentalists / conservationists would like to see large game animals completely eliminated where as the hunting lobby wants to preserve and manage these species. To give you some idea as to how unusual things can get, once when I was hiking in a National Park, I met and had lunch with a group of vegetarian hunters!

ACK! Now I so want to go there! That sounds like hunter's paradise!!!

The blue tongue is very similar to EHD. It is a sickness spread by water birthing insects, when water levels are low and their numbers are concentrated in small areas. Due to the lack of water deer need to congregate or visit the same watering hole. The insects also congregate in the same areas and are the carriers of the disease, that is how it spreads so quickly. I haven't seen any reports on the exact number for Iowa but I know Illinois had 2600 reported deaths of whitetail and that does not include the ones that had it and were hit by cars.

Congrats on your buck man, he is definitely a nice one.

Got this one last weekend. Happened too quick for a video, all I got was the "death march". Went about sixty yards after the shot. Kind of a cruddy picture. Shot was right around 10 yards, clean pass-through, side shown is the entrance... exit was about in the "armpit".

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice work Jacob. And thanks for the response on the blue tongue issue. It has been significant enough to warrant an article in the local paper a week or so ago. Kansas is in the "extreme " part of thexdraught so it must have had a bigger impact here. I really need to start deer hunting again.

Cheers, Todd

Top Bottom