What's new

Shortening a brush handle?

I have a couple of Yaqi synths - Moka Express and a Timber wolf in a longer handle. I prefer the shorter handle and wondered if it was straightforward to put the brush in a vice and saw the bottom off to make it the same length, kind of chubby. I don't have a lathe but I have a drill press if that helps.

Might not end up the prettiest handle but might grip and balance better. Sorry for low light photos.

Opinions?........ Anyone done this?

IMG_4602 copy.jpg
IMG_4602.jpg

As long as it's a solid handle there is no reason it couldn't be shortened/reshaped.
You should wrap the hadle with something to protect it when holding it in the vise. Then cut some of the length off and file it to a better shape then sand it smooth. If you want a really smooth finish you will need to go with pretty fine grit wet sandpaper.
I go to 12000 grit micro mesh wet sandpaper then use a polish like MAAS.

Last edited:
Haven't done it but visually i'd be chopping right below the center band using a fine toothed saw. Like mentioned how deep is the hole for the knot?
dave

Haven't done it but visually i'd be chopping right below the center band using a fine toothed saw. Like mentioned how deep is the hole for the knot?
dave

No idea how deep the hole is - it's a commercial product bought as is, I didn't insert the knot myself.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The hole should only be 15mm or so deep.
The second picture you show the difference in the length should be fine . But as @GAW9567 said you will have to sand off the sharp edge at the bottom. Start with a rough sandpaper with a block of wood to use with the sandpaper so you have a harder edge work your way up to a finer paper. Or if you live close to a Harbor freight you can get a sanding drum for your drill press
For a few dollars it might be worth it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interested to know how you get on with this little adaption if you go through with it.

Shortened the handle this morning. Went down from 115g to 93g. I modelled it on my Moka Express brush which is 91g. Both handles are now 52mm high. I think the original handle was both too tall and too heavy.

How does it feel? Huge improvement. Weight and balance are now much more natural and it feels comfortable in the hand.

The actual sawing was uneventful. I put some white tape around the handle and carefully measured out a straight line with a pencil. I ended up with a slight line across part of the bottom which I could sand out but I'm not going to bother. I sanded the bottom smooth with sandpaper. And there we go - all done quite quickly. I'm sure the dust is noxious stuff so a mask is a good idea. Well pleased, this was so worth it.

T-Wolf Short.jpg

Shortened the handle this morning. Went down from 115g to 93g. I modelled it on my Moka Express brush which is 91g. Both handles are now 52mm high. I think the original handle was both too tall and too heavy.

How does it feel? Huge improvement. Weight and balance are now much more natural and it feels comfortable in the hand.

The actual sawing was uneventful. I put some white tape around the handle and carefully measured out a straight line with a pencil. I ended up with a slight line across part of the bottom which I could sand out but I'm not going to bother. I sanded the bottom smooth with sandpaper. And there we go - all done quite quickly. I'm sure the dust is noxious stuff so a mask is a good idea. Well pleased, this was so worth it.

View attachment 999632

That's fantastic, I'm glad the operation was a success. You've given the brush a new lease on life in your rotation.

I'd like to see a picture of the bottom, it looks like you where able to round the edge off from where you cut.

You did a great job cutting it, the bottom cold be sanded a polished but you said you probably wouldn't. If you are happy with the final product that's all that really matters.

Haha... pretty cool mod. And I’m not laughing at you, I’ve never seen that done before yet you pulled it off. Not only does the brush look great but you gave me an idea for another handle, whenever I get around to making one again. Nice job.

Top Bottom