What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Learning to wear a hat or cap.

I've never been a hat or cap person but I really need to start wearing one. I wore cowboy hats as a child and sometimes as an adult but things like headrests and what to do with it when you take it off were questions I never resolved. Baseball caps I have a surfeit of but I feel silly if I turn it around to shield my neck and if I don't I get sunburned.

So the other day I found a cap that folk gave me decades ago when I retired. It's covered with signatures and buttons and sayings. It fits and has a brim sorta. Looked it up online and it's called a Bucket Cap. The neat thing is it seems soft enough to just crush it up and stick it in a pocket if needed. I'll give it a try and see if we get along.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I have a canvas bucket hat that I take to PRS matches. It's cotton or maybe canvas so if it it is getting really hot I'll stick it in one of the coolers that the range keeps cold water in. Give it a wring (or not) and slap it on my dome! Makes life better in direct sun when it's 110 in the shade.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Walked out to put some trash in the can and thought I'd die. And it's early, only 102F & 38% humidity. Feels like 112 and about four hours until it gets to maximum.

Among other hats, I got myself a Tilley LTM8 a couple of years ago that I have used a lot for sun protection and in rain (I wear specs), I get along very well with this hat:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Next two weeks:

14-day.jpg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
They lied!

Said only 99F for today and it's already over 100F at just 5:20PM. 44% humidity. 115.2F Heat Index.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I blame JFK for the decline in men's hats.

I currently own six fur felt fedoras that I wear with business casual or business attire about 9 months of the year here in SE Pennsylvania. I also have a range of flat caps for all seasons in casual/smart casual settings.

I'm always the only man wearing a hat, but, I will always do it.

When a fedora comes off, best case is it gets placed on an empty chair at the table. In a theater, it rides my lap. Restaurants will always check it, but that comes with some risk of crushing. It never gets placed on the table.

Top Bottom