What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Well I lied. Filled up in New Boston and averaged 36.3 with a good load. If I didn’t know better I’d swear this car loves going to Texas! “Who’s a good boy? Who wants to go to Texas?” I’m never getting rid of this car! Off roaring is a challenge but water crossings are easy. Hit at about 70 miles an hour and just skip across like a flat rock! 🤣

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Well I lied. Filled up in New Boston and averaged 36.3 with a good load. If I didn’t know better I’d swear this car loves going to Texas! “Who’s a good boy? Who wants to go to Texas?” I’m never getting rid of this car! Off roaring is a challenge but water crossings are easy. Hit at about 70 miles an hour and just skip across like a flat rock! 🤣

Ahhh...the big city of New Boston. :lol:

I'm guessing you went through Texarkana on I-30.

Good hunting to you. Take out a bunch of those destructive hogs.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have a line on a one owner senior citizen owned 2015 TRD Pro. It's a beautiful truck. Only 80k miles. The thing I don't care for is that it has a short bed.

I used to own a 2015 TRD Pro Tacoma. I loved everything about that truck except for the really high floor boards, which raised my feet and legs so high, it made my natural seating position awkward and uncomfortable. Driving it long periods had my sciatica flaring up.

I sold it when my wife bought me a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

I noticed there seems to be a slight design change in the 22’ Tacoma’s. If they addressed that floorboard I would definitely consider getting another.

I find the Tacomas with a console to be cramped.

I have a 1994 Toyota ExtraCab. No console. The seat is a 60/40, so the drivers side is very wide. The seats are close to the floor, but the floorboard is long. I have always it to be very comfortable for a compact pickup.

OkieStubble

I find the Tacomas with a console to be cramped.

I have a 1994 Toyota ExtraCab. No console. The seat is a 60/40, so the drivers side is very wide. The seats are close to the floor, but the floorboard is long. I have always it to be very comfortable for a compact pickup.

I wouldn’t mind finding a in good condition 96’ Land Cruiser.

Yeah, I miss flipping up the armrest on 60/40’s with no console so my woman can sit next to me at the drive in movie. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I have a bench seat pickup that the woman could slide over next to me in. Most of the time, the dog is between us, though...lol

Lol’d. I would think the dog would want the passenger side in order to hang his head out the window and let his tongue flap in the breeze? :)

She's usually asleep with her head in my lap and the AC in her face when we use that truck.

When I ordered my last truck, I got a crew cab. It's got a flat floor and no carpet. The rear part of the cab is almost big enough for a twin mattress. It's perfect for the dog to travel in.

OkieStubble

She's usually asleep with her head in my lap and the AC in her face when we use that truck.

When I ordered my last truck, I got a crew cab. It's got a flat floor and no carpet. The rear part of the cab is almost big enough for a twin mattress. It's perfect for the dog to travel in.

Sounds like it would make a good 'Cowboy Sleeper.'

I'd love to have a truck again. My old Cummins Ram 2500 was fun and useful. 410hp/910lb-ft at the wheels on a chassis dyno. Would break loose the rear 315s at 70mph if the interstate was wet and do it without so much as a downshift.

Unfortunately for my vehicle budget, I've committed to never having a vehicle payment again since I made my last vehicle payment in 2008. And I simply haven't made it a point to save the absurd fortune any new truck costs. I can't really justify such an expense for the rare occasions I truly need one, it's a "lifestyle" thing I can't afford.

So I drive two well-used vehicles, the nicer of which is 14 years old and has 170K on it. 330k miles between my two vehicles and no reason to think they'll stop soon.

I'd love to have a truck again. My old Cummins Ram 2500 was fun and useful. 410hp/910lb-ft at the wheels on a chassis dyno. Would break loose the rear 315s at 70mph if the interstate was wet and do it without so much as a downshift.

Unfortunately for my vehicle budget, I've committed to never having a vehicle payment again since I made my last vehicle payment in 2008. And I simply haven't made it a point to save the absurd fortune any new truck costs. I can't really justify such an expense for the rare occasions I truly need one, it's a "lifestyle" thing I can't afford.

So I drive two well-used vehicles, the nicer of which is 14 years old and has 170K on it. 330k miles between my two vehicles and no reason to think they'll stop soon.

I’m beginning to feel that way. My 2013 double cab Tundra has 141,000 on her. Haven’t had a payment for 3 years and don’t want another. I am glad my last purchase was a truck though. It will probably outlast me.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My 2001 Tundra has 287 K on it. Rebuilt the transmission and front end, both within the last year or so, well after 250K miles of use. A lot cheaper than than a new truck. Should last me a good while. I asked the owner of the auto repair shop how long I could expect to get use out of my truck. His reply was that the engine would outlast me. He also said, that if he was buying the last truck for the rest of his life, it would be a Tundra.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Well, the hunting is done. Went out with Robert last night to check the feeders and the cameras and the hogs were there at 7 P.M. Went to check another and spooked a big sounder. We never saw one last night but the deer were thick as thieves! Not one to be dissuaded I decided to again this morning aka knocked the ever loving SNOT outta my car at 5 am this morning on the 155. Black hog, black top, and pitch black. Limped into Pittsburg and went squirrel hunting. Also not good. I saw 5 and knocked 3 down (two didn’t get away) and Robert saw two amd hit none. :( He was absolutely baffled by the game patterns and I was just happy to be in the woods! Got the tree rats cleaned and proceeded to work on the car. A ratchet strap and a tree made quick work of pulling the core support back out for the most part. Pulled the under body panels and zip tied a bunch of stuff. The Yaris is hair lipped but will survive! All in all I’m still chalking it up as a win! It was nice being away from noise and people. Definitely good for my out look on life!
7CB1992A-8762-47B6-8651-7DAEFBC32BD3.jpeg

287C21F2-DED7-4783-B028-11D305EDBD49.jpeg

Attachments

• 23B6E572-2851-4360-B0E4-0B8A332E40BF.jpeg
    23B6E572-2851-4360-B0E4-0B8A332E40BF.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 5

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Well, the hunting is done. Went out with Robert last night to check the feeders and the cameras and the hogs were there at 7 P.M. Went to check another and spooked a big sounder. We never saw one last night but the deer were thick as thieves! Not one to be dissuaded I decided to again this morning aka knocked the ever loving SNOT outta my car at 5 am this morning on the 155. Black hog, black top, and pitch black. Limped into Pittsburg and went squirrel hunting. Also not good. I saw 5 and knocked 3 down (two didn’t get away) and Robert saw two amd hit none. :( He was absolutely baffled by the game patterns and I was just happy to be in the woods! Got the tree rats cleaned and proceeded to work on the car. A ratchet strap and a tree made quick work of pulling the core support back out for the most part. Pulled the under body panels and zip tied a bunch of stuff. The Yaris is hair lipped but will survive! All in all I’m still chalking it up as a win! It was nice being away from noise and people. Definitely good for my out look on life!
View attachment 1341712
View attachment 1341713

See them 300 pounders in the bar ditch on the county road, that goes over to the main highway, in the stretch of bottom land quite a bit...road kill. They can tear up a car.

I had a little doe run out in front of me in that area...put dents in the truck and knocked out a headlight. Knocked the deer tea cup over tea kettle...she got up and ran off.

Glad to hear you had fun! Now you and your car both have stories to tell. :)

nikonNUT

And back home! Ran 80 to 90 all the way with the A/C on. Nothing fell off and I didn't overheat so I think I dodge a bullet with the car. Went squirrel hunting one more time this morning with my buddy Bill in his 100 acres of hardwood bottoms and saw ONE squirrel. Something is screwy! Finally gave up and while were shooting the breeze a spike and a forked horn walked up to his feeder not 30 yards away like we weren't even there... So weird! Still had and awesome time and can't wait to try again in the spring! I was also taught that I am showing too much skin in the woods (Hey chicka bow wow! :lol: ). Robert schooled me on the fact that squirrels can spot bare human flesh at a pretty good distance and a camo hat, gator, and long sleeved shirt will help my odds immensely if the tree rats have been shot at before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom