What's new

Shoes

I need a new pair of shoes. Either brown or burgundy.

I've been looking at a pair of Bostonians (Andover) and a pair of Florsheims (Lexington). I have another pair of Florsheims that I really like, so I know they're comfortable. Not really sold on wingtip vs. cap toe. I could go either way. As long as they're sharp looking.

Curious as to what everyone else is wearing. Budget is up to $200. Obviously want something that will last quite a while at that price. Also, shoe must be able to be refurbished if need be.

Thanks everyone!

I need a new pair of shoes. Either brown or burgundy.

I've been looking at a pair of Bostonians (Andover) and a pair of Florsheims (Lexington). I have another pair of Florsheims that I really like, so I know they're comfortable. Not really sold on wingtip vs. cap toe. I could go either way. As long as they're sharp looking.

Curious as to what everyone else is wearing. Budget is up to $200. Obviously want something that will last quite a while at that price. Also, shoe must be able to be refurbished if need be.

Thanks everyone!

I've had both brands and been happy with both. The Florsheims are more traditionally constructed (leather sole as opposed to rubber), but I have not tried to have either one repaired. I would assume the florsheims can be repaired, but I don't know about the bostonians. On the other hand, I think the bostonians will last longer.

As for cap toe vs. wingtip, I prefer the cap toe. I've never liked wingtips. May be a youth thing, I dunno.

The Florsheims I have are a hybrid sole, which makes them very comfortable to walk in for longer periods of time. I'll probably just have to make a trip down to the local Bostonian store and check them out in person.

I'm not exactly old (under 30) and I don't dislike the wingtip look. Though I would lean towards cap toes.

I find if you a willing to go just a little higher you will get a shoe that can last a lifetime. Check out Allen Edmond's at http://www.allenedmonds.com/ their leather soles are some of the best shoes hand made in the USA. If you can wait and are near a Norstorms they almost always put the "Park Avenue" cap toe oxford on sale during their bi-annual Men's sale. You can usually grab a pair for about $200. Also DSW sometimes has them or if you are near a SYMS (NYC area) I just picked up three pair for $160 each.

What makes Allen Edmonds so appealing and worth the investment is their re-crafting service. Allen-Edmonds shoes are made so well we can actually restore them to a near-new condition with their exclusive Recrafting process. Think of it as reinvesting in a prized possession.

When you send your shoes in for Recrafting, their experts will first free the uppers from worn soles. Stretched over the proper last, the original uppers become shoes again through our unique manufacturing process. After your shoes are re-welted, soled and heeled, old finishes are carefully removed from the leather and new polishes and waxes applied. In about four weeks, shoes that look surprisingly new are returned to you.

I used to budget a pair of shoes just like you at about $200, and found that I would only get a year out of them before they needed to get replaced. A year was stretching it, since often after a few months they looked like crap and no shoe maker and all the polish in the world won't make them look good. Now with my Allen Edmonds they look great, I have a fews pair nearly 5 years old. Classic style that will never go out and they look like I just walked out of the store. They look awesome after a shine. I failed to say earlier that you won't believe how comfortable they are. Even the leather soles (which I prefer, however I have a few pair with rubber soles for a rainy days or more casual look) are like wearing sneakers. All day on NYC pavement that's a real test of quality.

Probably of very little use for people in the States, but I'll throw it out anyway. I have bought shoes in Italy on trips and even more so in Spain. I'm going to Spain for the weekend tomorrow and one of the things on the agenda is to pick up some dress shoes.

You can get some high quality leather shoes that are relatively inexpensive there. My wife routinely visits the Bruno Paoli store in Madrid and the only shoes I've ever seen her buy in London were a pair of Chuck Taylor's high tops.

V

VR6ofpain

You might want to look around at Allen Edmonds online, and eBay (not used). You can get great deals. I picked up a brand new pair of Allen Edmonds for $130 off eBay. There is nothing like a super comfy handmade shoe, made in the gold old US of A.

You might want to look around at Allen Edmonds online, and eBay (not used). You can get great deals. I picked up a brand new pair of Allen Edmonds for $130 off eBay. There is nothing like a super comfy handmade shoe, made in the gold old US of A.

Thats a good idea. I'll have to check them out in person, though.

Again, thanks for the great tips gents.

I would agree with Dave, a good shoe is priceless and in the long run is a better value- Shoebuy.com is a good place for AE shoes and they have 20% off all the time, with free shipping both ways. After you know what size you are in a specific AE last you can order on line with no problems. I often order 3 sizes on a new shoe and just send the others back.

Good luck

Agree 100% there are some fantastic deals on AE shoes and they are a step up from most of the models of Floorsheim or J&M shoes.

I know its wrong, but I will try on a couple of pairs at a B&M and then order online. I don't feel so bad when I see that the B&M store is charging more than double what I can get the same shoe for online - I realize that a B&M has higher overhead, but there are limits as to what a reasonable mark up is.

As suggested earlier in this thread Loake is an awesome brand, but costly. I swear by Church's shoes, They can be had for slightly over $200 if you look in the right places, but retail is $300 to start I believe. I own Ferragamo, Gucci, Barker Black and a pair of Brioni shoes. Its my cheapest Church's that have held up under constant wear and polishings the best. But a great pair of shoes are worthless without proper maintenance, such as cedar shoe trees, proper polishes and a good cobbler for repairs to heel and sole.

Where does one find these English brands in the US?

EDIT:

What about these two?
proxy.php

Allen Edmonds Clifton - I really like the chestnut color.

proxy.php

This is the Evanston. Also cool looking. I like the perforation. Just a bit nicer than a plain cap toe.

Where does one find these English brands in the US?

EDIT:

What about these two?
proxy.php

Allen Edmonds Clifton - I really like the chestnut color.

proxy.php

This is the Evanston. Also cool looking. I like the perforation. Just a bit nicer than a plain cap toe.

Where are you? AE has stores thought out the country. I suggest you visit them to get a fitting. Once you have the right size and width you should be okay to buy on line for less. However with better shoes they are designed with different lasts. (Definition: The form on which a shoe is constructed - resulting in the inside shape of the shoe. Lasts may be straight, curved or semi-curved. In construction, shoes may be board lasted, slip lasted or combi-lasted) At AE they have about 10 different lasts, (I did my homework before making the investment) so it’s best to try them on. Nordstrom’s carries most sizes but not all widths in their stores. They would have a D and EEE, so if you needed an E or EE you have to order them. I know the Nordstrom’s near me in NYC (Long Island Store) they have a certified shoe fitter, so ask for him/her and get sized correctly. You will be surprised how many people are not sized correctly. Okay now it’s out my hobbies are shaving, shoes and ties.

But isn't buying clothes/shoes online a risky thing? I mean I know you can return them and all, but I would think you really need to be in the store for the fit. I buy a lot online, but clothes and such always makes me nervous.

The Nordstrom local to me is listed as a retailer. I'm in San Jose. Not a problem, I can go there. I don't know whether they have a fitter or not, but I certainly will ask.

I also like ties quite a bit. I have a modest collection (20-30) even though I rarely have had to wear them in the past. That's all changing now so I'm pretty excited that I get to buy more shirts and ties.

The Nordstrom local to me is listed as a retailer. I'm in San Jose. Not a problem, I can go there. I don't know whether they have a fitter or not, but I certainly will ask.

I also like ties quite a bit. I have a modest collection (20-30) even though I rarely have had to wear them in the past. That's all changing now so I'm pretty excited that I get to buy more shirts and ties.

Good Luck, I am sure you will be satified. Keep up updated. As for ties Hickey Freeman works for me.

Top Bottom