What's new

Shims for your Futur Clone (repeating pif)

A few members have asked me for information regarding shimming the head on a Futur Clone.
Here are the dimensions of the shims:

1. Shim that goes around the post.
8.0mm x 26.0mm
.315" X1.024"

2. Shim that goes in the spring pocket.
10.0mm x 31.0mm
.393" x 1.221"

3. Shim that goes in the handle hole.
6.0mm x 31mm
.236" x 1.221"

Here are some pics to show where they go:
I used beer can shims. They show up well in the pics.
The first pic shows the shim around the post (inside the spring) on the right.
The shim on the baseplate on the left is in the spring pocket. When you insert the spring into the pocket with the shim in it, take care that the spring enters cleanly without crushing the shim. The aluminum shims are not as strong as brass
IMG_0031.JPG

In the second pic, the underside of the baseplate is shown with the shim in the handle pocket. The shims should sit flush. I left them extended out for illustration.
IMG_0032.JPG

So I got busy and cut a few shims. As a matter of fact, I cut a whole mess of 'em. Member @fast shaver asked if I could make him some shims and offered to pay for postage. I figured others might want some too. I attached a bunch of them to a sheet of paper that will fold up and fit in a regular envelope. I'll mail the whole thing to Frank, he can choose the shims he wants, then mail the whole thing to the next member on the list. There are enough shims on the sheet of paper for about 25 applications. I used aluminum from a beer can and .004" brass shimstock. The shims need not be precision measured to be effective. Kitchen scissors work well if the shims need to be trimmed.
I added a few blade shims for those with alignment problems. The honed edges have been removed from the blade shims.

This is what I'm mailing to Frank
IMG_0034.JPG

If anyone is interested in a set of shims for your clone, just say "I'm In". After Frank has shimmed up his clone, he will mail the shims to the first person in this thread that says "I'm in". That person will send it to the next person, etc. You will know when your turn is coming up when you get an address request from the member above you on this post. If you own more than one clone, help yourself to as many sets as you need. If nobody wants any shims, Frank's going to wind up with a bunch of 'em.

I guess we should keep this North America (US and Canada have reciprocal (cheap) mail rates) to keep the shipping costs down. If there is a need in other countries (eg Australia/England/Europe) I'll make a bunch and send them to a member in that country to distribute in a similar fashion.

Cheers,
Rick.

Thanks Rick!! I will mail what I don't need to the next person on the list. Frank PS what does the baseplate & spring shims do?

The shims take up space to make the head less wobbly.
The shim around the post, along with the shim in the spring pocket ensure the head moves up and down in alignment when adjusting the level of aggression. The shim in the handle keeps the head and handle centered and aligned. With the shims installed, the razor feels "tight". Usually less blade alignment problems too.

I sent the shims to you by Canada Post yesterday. Regular letter postage rate.
Doesn't seem to be a queue forming here...
Looks like you're going to have a mess of them to share with family and friends!

i do have q-shave’s version of the clone, but, what are the shims for? is there a post on this topic in forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i do have q-shave’s version of the clone, but, what are the shims for? is there a post on this topic in forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is shims?

Shims are essentially edgeless blades that can go above or under the actual blade in a razor (dependent on what’s needed/user preference) to slightly adjust the blade’s cutting angle and help reduce the flexibility of an unsupported blade (some razors only clamp the blade in certain spots allowing the blade to flex slightly as you shave, causes problems for some).

I cut two types of shims.
The three small rectangular shims are installed in the razor head and remain there for the life of the razor. The adjustable head moves up and down on a sloppy fitting post with a spring around it. The three shims tighten up the fit and alignment of the parts in the head. The razor feels "tighter" after the shims are installed and seems to be less prone to vibration (but I could be imagining the vibration thing)

The blade shims I cut (on the bottom of the sheet) can be used to even out blade exposure (placed between base and blade) on a misaligned razor.

As @fast shaver said, if your clone is shaving well with no alignment issues it's probably wise to leave it alone. But I just can't help myself...
The clone I used in the pics was cantankerous getting the blade to sit right. After I installed the three shims, there was a noticeable improvement.

So if we buy such an expensive razor and we need shims for it, then I will stay with my QShave Clone and stay away from the great quality Futur and Bob's my uncle.

Top Bottom