What's new

Shimming A Timeless

Hello, I received my Timeless Cap and Base Pate this week. I went with the .68 gap as I prefer mild razors (Merkur 34C/EJ DE 89). I paired it with my Jurgen Hempel Blue Wave Ti Handle and went to work. As many have already noted, this razor is smooth as butter, I could barely feel the blade. In fact, it is so smooth that it left me wanting more. I thought of trading for the .95 head, but I don't think my skin can handle that large a gap. Instead, I decided to try the .68 with a shim. I've never used a shim before, so I was a little apprehensive. All I can say is WOW! I can't believe what a difference a single shim can make. The shave was noticeably more efficient but it did lose its buttery smooth feel. Not uncomfortable, but quite different from the non-shim experience. Has anyone else tried a shim on their Timeless?

I haven't tried a shim, but I have both gaps. A .68 in a scalloped SB, and a .95 in an OC. Predictably they both shave great, but different of course. I've asked Matt @ Timeless to produce an in between gap, say .84 or so, but received no reply. According to blade gap charts the .95 is equivalent to a Fatboy on 6-7. Anyway, Timeless certainly makes great shavers that deliver the goods whichever gap is chosen.

I thought of trading for the .95 head, but I don't think my skin can handle that large a gap. Instead, I decided to try the .68 with a shim.
A DE blade is 0.004" thick, or 0.10mm, so adding a shim turns your 0.68 Timeless into a 0.78.

Try 3 shims to get a good idea of what a 0.95 razor will feel like - it's actually 0.98 but close enough.

A DE blade is 0.004" thick, or 0.10mm, so adding a shim turns your 0.68 Timeless into a 0.78.

Try 3 shims to get a good idea of what a 0.95 razor will feel like - it's actually 0.98 but close enough.

One shim was more than enough for me. I think I will keep my .68 base plate.

It is unfortunate that none of the new razor offerings such as Timeless, Wolfman, Blackbird, ATT, etc. are not able to offer an adjustable as this would resolve this issue, easily.

It is unfortunate that none of the new razor offerings such as Timeless, Wolfman, Blackbird, ATT, etc. are not able to offer an adjustable as this would resolve this issue, easily.

Sorry, gotta disagree here. In order to get adjustability, you must compromise and end up with a bulkier head. You've gone from a sleek high-performance Corvette to a clunky Chrysler minivan ;-) Just my opinion ...

Sorry, gotta disagree here. In order to get adjustability, you must compromise and end up with a bulkier head. You've gone from a sleek high-performance Corvette to a clunky Chrysler minivan ;-) Just my opinion ...
No worries and your opinion is as valid as mine. Nonetheless, I was only inferring on how to resolve the issue of aggression with a razor that is deemed to mild or the opposite. :)

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Adding shims is going to cost in smoothness IMHO. I have the OC .95 and aggressive should not be used to describe the shave it gives, Smooth Efficient is closer to My experience. If someone did not tell Me that the blade gap was .95
I would not even know. I have a RFB OC that the gap is at .47 . (the guys at Timeless checked it for Me ) and the Timeless is just as smooth to My face if not more. don't let the .95 number scare you, it is part of the design that makes everything work together .

Maybe someone here can give me an idea...

My favorite razor is an ATT R1. I can use the H1 but it is not a great daily driver and shaving ATG on my upper lip is pretty much a no go.

So which Timeless gap should I get? .68 or .95?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
How aggressive is the .95?
Adding shims is going to cost in smoothness IMHO. I have the OC .95 and aggressive should not be used to describe the shave it gives, Smooth Efficient is closer to My experience. If someone did not tell Me that the blade gap was .95
I would not even know. I have a RFB OC that the gap is at .47 . (the guys at Timeless checked it for Me ) and the Timeless is just as smooth to My face if not more. don't let the .95 number scare you, it is part of the design that makes everything work together .

Top Bottom