What's new

shaving smoothness / cutting power

hello friends......i have one question to ask.....the shaving smoothness is directly proportional to the cutting power? (shaving smoothness for me is the sensation of a buttery edge).....for example : i always pass my razor after coticule on a green paste (80 laps) to improve only the smoothness but not the cutting power...i m doing right?

could i reach the same or similar smoothness with more passes on the coticule? ( i always use a coticule with water and very light touch)

thanks

80 laps of Chromium seems too much for some / most razors - you may actually dull the edge like this...

Try 30 and see if you like it better. I'd reserve 50+ laps for very hard steel

Cheers
Ivo

80 laps of Chromium seems too much for some / most razors - you may actually dull the edge like this...

Try 30 and see if you like it better. I'd reserve 50+ laps for very hard steel

Cheers
Ivo

I'm not a honemeister, but I agree with Ivo - I generally go 25 to 30 laps on my pasted strop and that's almost always plenty.

With hones and pastes strops, my view is that less is more - you only need to do as many laps as absolutely necessary - more than that will only increase the potential to do harm or cause excess wear and will not make the razor any sharper or smoother.

I disagree with the previous two gentlemens' opinons based on the general nature of your post. If your pasted strop is running low on paste (as they sometimes do) 80 laps may not be unreasonable. If, however, it is freshly pasted, then I think 80 may be overdoing it.

As for smoothness versus sharpness, I believe both tend to increase togther until a certain point. After that point, the blade continues to become more sharp, but tends to be a little rough. The trick is stopping on or near that maximum comfort point. This point depends on the razor and hone, so I can't tell you exactly how many strokes on what sharpening medium to use.

Comfort, as well, is a subjective quality and depends on your skin, your technique and other factors. Balancing sharpness and comfort is a precise and personal process. When I hone for others I bring the edge a tad past my comfort level (my skin is a little on the sensitive side). For the average person that seems to be in the right ballpark. Upon request I take the razor as far as I can with my tools and skill, but I don't recommend it for the reasons stated above.

I don’t use pasted strops. I usually use JNATs but have three Coticules too. La Veinette, Dressante and unknown. I have been getting very keen and smooth edges using water/glycerine combo and then 60/60 linen/leather.

You need a blade that is sharp enough to cut the whiskers without pulling. Imo that's all there is to it regarding sharp. Regarding smoothness? Extremely subjective. And one man's treasure is another man's folly. That is why generally we hone to get the right sharp and smooth. However you achieve that. And looking at the broad range of honing mediums we use? It's every man's job to find out what works for him..

Believe it or not I’ve found that steel quality can be a factor here. I could finish 5 blades with the same progression and wind up with a variation in terms of both sharpness and smoothness. The interaction of the steel and stone is unique to each razor. That may provide an explanation as to why each blade has to be handled differently so that they all come out with a similar feel while shaving.

Believe it or not I’ve found that steel quality can be a factor here. I could finish 5 blades with the same progression and wind up with a variation in terms of both sharpness and smoothness. The interaction of the steel and stone is unique to each razor. That may provide an explanation as to why each blade has to be handled differently so that they all come out with a similar feel while shaving.

I believe this to be true. I also believe harder steel is easier to smooth out with time on the hone and patience, while softer steel sharpens quicker and easier and often feels sharper (though I do believe with skill and patience a harder steel can be made sharper). It sounds counterintuitive but I believe that statement to be true. Mainly because I think many of us tend to either spend too little time on a soft steel with a good finisher to smooth it out well (after all it feels sharp as crap so why spend more time on the finisher), or we do xx number of laps because that’s just what we do and take it too far.

I'm not a honemeister, but I agree with Ivo - I generally go 25 to 30 laps on my pasted strop and that's almost always plenty.

With hones and pastes strops, my view is that less is more - you only need to do as many laps as absolutely necessary - more than that will only increase the potential to do harm or cause excess wear and will not make the razor any sharper or smoother.
Yeah ive gotten to where lately if i even use my pastes strop(which is less and less) i only do 5-10 and that's plenty anymore and i don't like how it changes the edge. Afterwards ill do 40 flesh side of English bridle leather and 40 smooth side of 2" herman oak strap.

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom