What's new

Shaving Gel ---VS--- Shaving Foam ?

Shaving Gel ---VS--- Shaving Foam ?

• Shaving Gel

• Shaving Foam

Results are only viewable after voting.
If I have to, I usually get a better shave with gel and it doesn't seem to dry out my skin as much. However, I love the smell of Barbasol and Gillette Foamy.

My overall preference is for traditional shaving soaps but I do somewhat frequently use lathers from a can as well (especially lately, I've been loving the shaves I get from my Schick Hydro 3).

My favorite canned lather is currently Barbasol Extra Moisturizing with the purple label. It doesn't smell as good to me as the Original Barbasol or Gillette Foamy, but it is noticeably less drying to my skin than either of those.

I haven't used many shave gels for comparison though I was very pleased with the shave I got from my stepdad's Edge Extra Protection gel at my parents' house a few weeks ago.

While it's pretty close, I do like Aveeno Theraputic Shave Gel better than Barbasol. I get good shaves with both, but Aveeno just seems better to me, and smells a lot better. I also like Cremo Bourbon, which seems better than all the other varieties of Cremo, and works much better than Barbasol brushless.

Why would you use a shaving foam or gel if you could use a brushless crea? Let alone a normal shaving cream or soap. I keep getting shaving gels in my L'Occitane gift packs, so probably should use them for travel.

While it's pretty close, I do like Aveeno Theraputic Shave Gel better than Barbasol. I get good shaves with both, but Aveeno just seems better to me, and smells a lot better. I also like Cremo Bourbon, which seems better than all the other varieties of Cremo, and works much better than Barbasol brushless.
Hi @GKC1 , what kind of scent does the Aveeno gel have?

Hi @GKC1 , what kind of scent does the Aveeno gel have?
Well, I don't really know how to describe it...I'm not an expert on smells (although my wife says I am prolific at creating them) but to me it seems soapy + good, if that makes any sense. Like an old fashioned Ivory soap kind of good, not overwhelmingly perfumey. It does come in unscented, as well as a lavender scent that is marked as a lady's product.

Well, I don't really know how to describe it...I'm not an expert on smells (although my wife says I am prolific at creating them) but to me it seems soapy + good, if that makes any sense. Like an old fashioned Ivory soap kind of good, not overwhelmingly perfumey. It does come in unscented, as well as a lavender scent that is marked as a lady's product.
Thank you for the response, that sounds perfectly good. I'll have to pick some up next.

I have some generic Edge which I will use with my DE if I'm in a rush or traveling. I remember using barbasol with a cartridge the first time I tried wet shaving in any form a long time ago and I pretty much mutilated my face. Switched to electric shaving after that. When I started with a DE I didn't have anywhere near as much trouble even with the gel. Not sure if DE just works way better for me than the cartridge razor or of the barbasol just didn't give enough protection.

If I had to only use one of the two, I’d definitely take foam over gel.

But I don’t use either anymore.

Gel, either Nivea or the Edge that smells like cookies. A lot of gels just smell like hospital or industrial cleaners, and foams just don't work as well for me. Gillette Foamy works okay and there I like the way Lemon-Lime and Barbershop smell. Barbasol leaves my face feeling super dry and wanting to grow a beard instead of ever shaving again.

But none of those are anything I'm even remotely likely to ever use again.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't use either anymore, but if I had to, I'd choose gel. Foam seems to sit high on my beard and not lubricate my face as well, but gel works in a lot better. It doesn't rinse as easily, but gives me a more comfortable shave, which is the most important bit.

Foam all day. I find that gels clog up my razor but foam doesnt. Its Gillette Foamy for me. I love the scent of the Original and the Barbershop Fresh. To me, the Original smells a lot like Old Spice.
I like Barbasol too but I like Gillette Foamy a bit better.
As for why would you use anything canned, for me its the cost. When you can buy a can of foam for $1.50-2.00 and have it last you 6 months, whereas most soaps are $10-15 and then you also have the cost of a brush; canned foam is a great value.

Foam all day. I find that gels clog up my razor but foam doesnt. Its Gillette Foamy for me. I love the scent of the Original and the Barbershop Fresh. To me, the Original smells a lot like Old Spice.
I like Barbasol too but I like Gillette Foamy a bit better.
As for why would you use anything canned, for me its the cost. When you can buy a can of foam for $1.50-2.00 and have it last you 6 months, whereas most soaps are $10-15 and then you also have the cost of a brush; canned foam is a great value.
I've used a canned gel with a DE for a good while without ever once clogging it. DEs don't clog that easy.

I've used a canned gel with a DE for a good while without ever once clogging it. DEs don't clog that easy.
I tried some Edge with my Baili razor and all it did was clog up. The Baili is pretty mild though, so it may just have been that razor. Ive tried gel with a Schick Xtreme 3 while traveling and it worked well though.

I tried some Edge with my Baili razor and all it did was clog up. The Baili is pretty mild though, so it may just have been that razor. Ive tried gel with a Schick Xtreme 3 while traveling and it worked well though.
I used a Baili as well and used a generic of Edge gel. You were probably using too much.

Top Bottom